1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
39,727 Posts
I cast my vote for the hydrashock. :thumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I vote the hydrashok. I visually compared the hydrashoks to Speer Lawman, Corbon, Golden Sabre, and a few other types of ammo and I thought the hydroshoks had the best QC of the bunch.

·
Registered
541 Posts
All I know is what I read, I'll stick with Corbon. (357 & 38spl 125g.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
BOTH :D

I have shot over 1000 rounds of both over the past decade and never had a failure..............the Corbon supposed to have the best knock-down percentage, but in a gunfight it also depends on shop placement. I have defended myself with the Hydrashock and it only took one shot for an instant kill.............and i witnessed the expansion and mass of the bullet and it was impressive..........only lost 5 grains of mass and expanded to nearly twice the diameter of the original bullet. I also love the hydrashock for the accuracy and the chrome case seems like it would help with sliding out of the mag and into the chamber better (not a fact, but my guess). I carry federal in my everyday weapond and I have the corbon for home protection in my other weaponds. Corbon DPX have more of a sharp kick and bang while the federal hydrashock have less recoil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've tried them both in .357 and I like the DPX. Hydrashoks have a LOT of recoil--even the short barrel--compared to DPX. I like the stats of the DPX and can handle it with confidence.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I have shot over 1000 rounds of both over the past decade and never had a failure..............
Nice..that is a pretty good test right there

Both are great.. ;)
I will say that 1911s like Cor Bons..they feed pretty well
Hydra-shocks can be problems in them sometimes...( they were in my Colt Commander :rolleyes:)

If i had to choose though..it would be Cor Bons

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Overall both will work. But I'd lean toward the Corbon in most calibers.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Why only these two choices when others are available? Is there something special about these two I am unaware of?

·
Registered
127 Posts
VegasGuy said:
Why only these two choices when others are available? Is there something special about these two I am unaware of?
I think these were the only two brought up at the time. If you think something is better, post what it is and why you think so.

I like the hydrashock myself, but that's me.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
worthirt_99 said:
If you think something is better, post what it is and why you think so.
I only asked hoping to learn something new. I have kept HydraShoks in my 9mm for about 17 years because that's what the guy at the gun store recommended. But, that's not to say something better hasn't come along after all that time.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
HydraShock 165grn's in my MilPro.

I figure the lighter load will give it enough speed to expand, and if not, it's still a .45 hole, so it should still do enough damage.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i carry the hydrashoks. ordered some of the taurus ammo and waiting for it to arrive. the pics ive seen of them look mean as hell. my buddy swear by the winchester rangers bonded. yet to try them.

·
32,532 Posts
Like both Hydras and Corbon.

Federal's stuff may be 'old technology' in some ways, but it works a lot better than older JHP technology, pentrates heavy clothing well without deformation, and still expands well.

Can't knock what works.

Corbon I like too, but is a bit more pricey. In my neck of the woods anyway.

Have both for the .38 Specials and 9mm. pistols. Will continue to use both.

·
Super Moderator
21,539 Posts
I shoot Hydrashocks and Golden saber have you ever seen the fireball from Hydrashocks in the dark these where 165 grain personal defence its about as big as a basketball. I got a box of winchester white box 230 grain personal protection and they shoot poa out to 25 yrds could'nt complain.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts