Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
Went with a neighbor this afternoon to pick up a car for his teenage daughter. Was about an hour ride each way on the highway. On the return trip, as I followed in his pickup, he hits a stray dog (probably dumped on the roadside by someone who didn't want him anymore). It looked like he just clipped him with the left front tire. The dog spun around a few times and went into the median. We stopped and went back to see about him. No vehicle damage, but the dog was really suffering. I believe it was a Bassett Hound. Big head, short legs and a long body. He had a rip in his side forward of his hind leg and intestine was exposed. No movement in the hind area. Front legs flailing and head thrashing. I'm carrying PT145 but decide to dispatch him with my new Kel-Tec .380, which I also carry in my front pocket, with recently purchased Federal 90 grain Hydrashocks. This does sound distasteful, but from about four feet, the round entered just forward of the left ear (just a nice clean .380 sized hole) and exited above the right ear, which left a concave shape about the size of a golf ball in the head, with the exit wound in the middle. Suffering instantly ended. Size of exit wound unknown, didn't want to examine any further. But the whole point of this diatribe is that the Federal Hydrashock in .380, for me at least appears to be a very effective round. :(

I really love dogs.
So how was your day?

Administrator
Geez, Smoke, that really sucks.....but you did the right thing, even if it makes me want to dig out 'Ol' Yeller' and watch it again......

Registered
Situations like that are really good way to ruin a perfect day. Even though it makes a person feel bad, it is in the best interest of the animal to end the suffering.
+1 Smokewagon

Registered
There are days when I wish we had that kind of compassion for humans.

Registered
I've been right where you are Smoke, the situation sucks all the way around. Don't think about it too much, and rest easy knowing the dog didn't have to go through the duration of the suffering.
I'm sorry you had to deal with that, especially on a Monday.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #6
Actually my post was intended as a review of the .380 Hydrashock in a practical use, not just a test. Guess my feelings for some critters over shadowed the whole deal. Felt bad at the moment, but that was a week ago. I'm over the whole thing.

It isn't like we can field test our carry loads on real live flesh and blood normally.

Seems like the Hydra-shok worked as advertised.

Nice to have some feedback on that , but a heck of way to have to get it.

Could be why I have a cat who doesn't get let outdoors, except if one of the family supervises her. This is the only cat I ever try this with. She doesn't run away. She'll cross over to the next door neighbor's lot from time to time. We can catch her before she goes to far over the property line. Then it's no treats or outdoors for a few days.

Back on topic.

Hydra-shoks have been around a few decades know, but they still have one of the best real world track records running out there.

Super Moderator
I like to test loads on trapped hogs. So far, .38 special 140 JHP+P out of a M85SSUL, 9mm 115 XTP +P out of a Kel Tec P11, and .357 magnum, 140 (same bullet as the .38) speer JHP out of a 3" M66. Guess what, the .357 was impressive as heck. LOL The .38 showed good expansion and penetration, and the 9 showed a NASTY exit wound with good penetration. Nothing was nastier than the .357, of course, LOL.

In .380, I don't worry as much about expansion as penetration. I think the calibers I listed, penetration isn't a problem, but in a .380 load, I want to see jello tests for penetration. I'll try to test my .380s, a 90 grain Hornady XTP, on a hog when I start trapping again this fall.

As for putting down dogs, it's not a pleasant task, but sometimes it is a necessary task. I've seen my uncle have to do it with a shotgun. I've never had to do it and would like to keep it that way. Hunting, no problem. Shooting pigs in the trap, quite fun and informative. :D But, nobody likes putting down a pet. I particularly like Beagles and Bassets, too, bummer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts