Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have owned, and competed with, Mil Surp rifles for over 60 years, I have never owned a Mauser. I set one up with a Z-41 scope for a friend last year, but that's my total experience with the mark. Cruising an auction site, I cam across Swede M 38. I got it at about $200 less than the average price I see them going for. It's coming with the original military stock and hardware, as well as a Ram Line sporter stock ( I'll be selling that pretty quickly). Looks to be in pretty nice shape. The brass tag on the stock indicates a bore condition of 1, and a "0" overhold with the 140 gr. round @ 100 yards. Still trying to decipher the number for the throat erosion, but it seems it's well within serviceable limits. I wouldn't have had any interest in it, if it weren't for the fact I can get ammunition for it. I swore I would NEVER own another orphan caliber, again. If I was a collector, that would be one thing, but I am not, I shoot EVERYTHING I own (won my class last fall with my 1911 Schmidt-Rubin), so being able to feed it is my #1 priority. As soon as I get it, and clean it up, I'll post some pictures. My Schmidt was 100 years old, this year, so this will be joining an experienced group. 1942 Saginaw M1 carbine, 1980 Yugoslavian SKS (belonged to the Zagreb Police) and the aforementioned Schmidt ( I have owned since 1963). Maybe a group picture, just to see how the kids get alone....

·
Super Moderator
38,003 Posts
Sounds good, looking forward to the pics and range report!

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts
Congratulation on the new-to-you Surplus 6.5x55mm Swedish M38 Mauser and may it serve you well! :cool: :smile:

I wouldn't have had any interest in it, if it weren't for the fact I can get ammunition for it. I swore I would NEVER own another orphan caliber, again. If I was a collector, that would be one thing, but I am not, I shoot EVERYTHING I own (won my class last fall with my 1911 Schmidt-Rubin), so being able to feed it is my #1 priority.
You might consider taking up Reloading. I began my Love Affair with Mauser Rifles with a Custom 98 Mauser Sporter in 7x57mm Mauser and I also have a Custom Scout Rifle based on 95 Mauser, also in 7x57mm Mauser.
The 7x57mm Mauser Ammunition is not exactly common, but not particularly scarce, either. It was the very first Rifle Cartridge I learned to reload and helped get me on my way to reloading other Rifle Calibers.

My other three 98 Mauser based Rifles are in .30/06, which is very common, yet I reload for that too! :smile:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good, looking forward to the pics and range report!
Pretty sure a range report will have to wait until spring...winter is here, and once it arrives, it doesn't leave for a LONG time....As soon as I get it I'll post pics...should be next week...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As promised, the Swede showed up today. All matching numbers. Bore like a mirror. Only thing missing is the rear hand guard collet...already ordered one. Definitely not a safe queen. Honest infantryman's rifle. Going to be using it in "as issued" military matches, along with my Schmidt-Rubin, M1 Carbine and my Papovka. I might refinish it...but maybe just a good cleaning....

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
Gorgeous Rifle. Guess we can wait a bit for the range report.

Reactions: Troll

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A rare combination of decent weather and a day off came together. Took the Husky out to the range. Here's a picture of the first 5 rounds, 100 yards, off the bench. No adjustments made to the sights....possibly set up in 1941??? I believe she's a keeper. Love the two stage trigger. like a brick through a plate glass window.

I went to a 3'clock hold, and put 2 in the x ring, but the rest went a little wide...most likely my fault. Using PPU 139 gr FMJ boattail.

·
Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
Sweet! I love older firearms. Thanks for the update and the pictures. Keep us posted as you dial it in and get used to it, please. Some of us have to experience these things vicariously.

A range report of your next match would be nice, too. <nudge-nudge, wink-wink>

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem. I found out why it shot so far off to the left...the front sight blade is a bit loose in the dove tail....I knew it wasn't centered, but I figured that was how it was set up....I have since corrected the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts