Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
No, but I have it with me and I am sure if I could get the game to get within 25 yards I would have no problem taking it. I hunt mostly with my 44SS8 now, only because I want to take a deer out to or beyond 50 yards with a hand gun. I have the 44 mag. sighted in for 100 yards, and I am sure it will take a whitetail without any problem.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
Anyone here deer hunt with their 1911 Chambered in 45?
Don't believe that is a legal weapon for Game here, if it is it shouldn't be!
I can see a 1911 in 10 MM, 357 Sig, one of the wildcats that has a 6 inch barrel, adjustable sights being "MAYBE" legal, but not anything else in a 1911 in my opinion, first of all the object of hunting is to dispatch the animal with as little pain as possible, not to poke a hole in it somewhere and let it suffer until it dies.
Sorry I am pretty much a hunter, not a shooter.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As am i. That's why I am asking.. no reason to be snobby. I only bow hunt but would like the challenge of a pistol hunt. And I think that if my deer is 20 yds and under it should be fine.

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
As am i. That's why I am asking.. no reason to be snobby. I only bow hunt but would like the challenge of a pistol hunt. And I think that if my deer is 20 yds and under it should be fine.
Sorry that you took it as snobby!
I meant it as reality!
the power of the famed 45 acp is well down the line in what one (me) would consider adequate for hunting medium to large size game.
compared to any rifle round almost every pistol round is very enemic and range certainly reduced, the 45 acp is certainly well under powered for hunting.
all you gotta do is check the local hunting regulations and see if its even a legal round to use.
Recurves, compound an crossbows are a totally different discussion as they rely on penetration and loss of blood to kill, that's why they have the sharp little blades on the ends of the arrows to cut arteries and such.

Reactions: Bruntson

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Semi-autos not permitted in PA. This past year I did carry a Blackhawk chambered in 45 colt loaded with 325 gr hard cast Buffalo Bore cartridges. Unfortunately, the occasion to prove its effectiveness did not present itself.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Down here in Missouri we can use any center fired round. I wouldn't take a shot over 20 yds anyways. And as much as I would love to buy a new 10mm. I don't think it's in the books. Aka my wife said no

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
To answer the original question, NO. I do not hunt deer with a .45acp 1911, nor would I even attempt to, even at 20 yards.

·
Super Moderator
13,913 Posts
No, but I have it with me and I am sure if I could get the game to get within 25 yards I would have no problem taking it. I hunt mostly with my 44SS8 now, only because I want to take a deer out to or beyond 50 yards with a hand gun. I have the 44 mag. sighted in for 100 yards, and I am sure it will take a whitetail without any problem.
Or a wild hog. I'm right there with ya, Master Chief, on your handgun caliber selection. Good choice!

Answering the OP, I have a full sized .45 ACP semiautomatic pistol. It's accurate and reliable, and would do in a pinch, but my ol' Ruger Super Blackhawk is my preferred weapon of choice for hunting. If memory serves, however, not too long ago a resident of Alaska shot and killed a rogue grizzly bear in self defense, using a Hi Point JHP .45 semiauto. It can be done.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I guess I have to buck the tide. I have hunted with a handgun, off and on depending on conditions, since my State first allowed it back about 1979. I wouldn't pick a 1911 .45 as a first choice for all-around deer hunting but there are situations where it is perfectly effective if one must. Handgun hunters, as a general rule, May often see deer beyond their capabilities and decline a shot. So that could be applied to a .45acp handgun. Local conditions also play a part. Here in the rainforest with our small blacktails shots are often at close range. The last one I took, with a rifle, was at ridiculously close range and had I not had the rifle in my hand would have had no hesitation to have used a 1911 .

Bow hunters, black passengers, pistol hunters and rifle hunters with any sense all deal with limitations and capabilities. I do know, for a fact, that a properly placed shot from a .45acp, with a good bullet, will drop a 120# deer, @50yds, just as dead as a .44mag. I have a fried who has done it.

Ironically, one of my rules for choosing a gun and load for SD is "would I trust this combination to drop a deer at 30-40yards?"
Many hogs, of all sizes, are taken with such pistols every year.

Keep it within the shooters known capabilities and limitations, and if you are willing to strictly abide by those limits, it will work.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
No. I hunt with a .30-30 because I need all the help I can get. This last season, I didn't get a deer. Primairly becasue I was only in the woods two days. :( (Work Schedule from HEck) I am hoping to do better next year. Now I am turning my attention to Mr. Turkey. (20ga 3" #4 shot) Rem. 870)

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
For deer I would prefer a scope on a .44 w/8" barrel. I just hate handguns period for deer hinting. I have a buddy that took his first deer with a .357 - 6" Ruger. dropped after about 25-30 yards or so. My problem with handguns is that "I" am not profient with one enough to take a deer at the range that "I" would need to. That applies to me, only. I really like my kills to be squeeky clean. By that, I mean a heart or 2x lung shot. I would be wasting my time with a handgun. However I feel condfient that a .45 with the right round at the right range would take out a pair of lungs, if you got the skills. I put a can on a pie plate. The distance at which I can hit that can consistantly is my limit.

Reactions: leftcoastrebel

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have taken a deer with a 1911 in .45 acp, it would not be first choice. 2 years ago I as back at the trucks waiting for my buddies to come out of the woods and I already had put my shotgun away when a doe appeared 20 yds away going uphill away from me. So I pulled my 1911 out of holster and shot at the back of the head, either I would drop the doe or miss, either way there would be no tracking in the dark. I made the shot and the doe dropped in her tracks.

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts
But you would trust it to put a person down at 20?
No. I have a biker cousin who took 5 to the chest back in the 70s. He walked out of the hospital a month later, and he and some of his friends went to visit some members of a rival organisation. Can it put someone down at 20? Of course. Can it take wild game down at twenty? There's a good chance it will. A better choice though, would be to use a handgun that has hunting specific ammo available for it. One of the magnum calibers (I consider 10mm a magnum cartridge), or 45colt, are far better hunting loads than a 45acp.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Here in AZ my 1911 in .45ACP is on my hip when hunting Coues deer, but most shots are taken at over 250 yds so I definitely need a rifle...

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I carried my .45 auto hunting when I had it, and I now carry my 9 mm when I go hunting, but I carry it as a secondary weapon, my first being my rifle or shotgun depending on what I am hunting.

What is allowed is written ambiguously. Some game may be hunted with pistols during certain seasons, but you are allowed to carry a pistol to dispatch a wounded animal and to defend yourself as long as you are legally allowed to carry the gun.

A good example: You cannot hunt wild turkey with a pistol, but if you shot one with your shotgun , and somehow broke both it's wings without killing it ( although I don't see how) you could then put it out of it's misery with a pistol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts