Super Moderator
40,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALERT: FWC Removes Ban on Suppressors for Hunting
DATE:November 21, 2014
TO:USF & NRA Member and Friends
USF Executive Director
NRA Past President

At their meeting in Key Largo, Florida, today, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission voted to remove the ban on using silencers/suppressors on pistols and rifles for hunting deer, gray squirrels, rabbits, wild turkeys, quail and crows.

Using silencers/suppressors on pistols, rifles and shotguns for all other legal hunting was already allowed.

Following the suppressor vote, the Commission also voted to authorize an Executive Order to lift the ban immediately and allow hunting with suppressors to begin at once.

Following that vote, Executive Order # EO 14-32 was signed. Using suppressor-equipped rifles, pistols and shotguns is now legal for all hunting in Florida.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
OK, now if I could only afford one!:bang:

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
OK, now if I could only afford one!:bang:
You can make your own out of a maglite and freeze plugs. With the stamp you could be into one for about $250.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
You can make your own out of a maglite and freeze plugs. With the stamp you could be into one for about $250.
Now, add the price of the stamp. Maybe I will just thread the barrel of my 44SS8 and put an oil filter on it.:D:D

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
Now, add the price of the stamp. Maybe I will just thread the barrel of my 44SS8 and put an oil filter on it.:D:D
That is with the price of the stamp. Maglite is about $35 for a 4D cell one, freeze plugs $1.50 each x 5. Stamp $200.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
dudeman351.... my first thought is have you, yourself, actually made one of these homemade suppressors, shot one, or applied for a stamp for one?

Don

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
dudeman351.... my first thought is have you, yourself, actually made one of these homemade suppressors, shot one, or applied for a stamp for one?

Don
Not for myself, but I did help someone that I know make one after he got his form 1 approval. We made it in less than two hours. The suppressor laws are really asinine. When you realize how easy they are to actually make.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
MY first thought is can you imagine how tall your sights would need to be to use this, and second how high your scope would need to be if you used a scope!
Closely followed by why the hell would I want to suppress a hunting weapon?
IF It (the bang) bothers you wear a set of electronic ear muffs.

Reactions: AOCM.RET

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
That is with the price of the stamp. Maglite is about $35 for a 4D cell one, freeze plugs $1.50 each x 5. Stamp $200.

Mind blown. Wow

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

Reactions: dudeman351

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Hopefully this will influence other states the same way.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I never understood the bans on them in the first place.

Is Bambi more dead when you use one?

Reactions: treg and Texheim

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
I never understood the bans on them in the first place.

Is Bambi more dead when you use one?
I heard that they became restricted during the depression because farmers were worried they'd be used to poach cattle not other wild life.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

·
Banned
5,818 Posts
I heard that they became restricted during the depression because farmers were worried they'd be used to poach cattle not other wild life.

Thats my understanding too.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Yeah, because starving people care about gun laws.

·
Registered
29,757 Posts

A ticked off rancher with a double barrel shotgun would probably have been a better move to deter poaching. :D :D:D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I cannot for the life of me figure out why someone would want to use a suppressor to hunt, for deer anyway. I'm not saying the law should prevent it, I don't have any problem with someone using a suppressor to hunt deer, but I cannot think of a single reason to use one.

Suppressors are big and heavy, I just see them as being unnecessary gear to get in the way. Any proper hunting rifle load is supersonic and is still not going to "hearing safe" anyway. As for subsonic loads, I don't want to handicap myself with inferior ballistics, so they are a no go. As far as hearing damage from shooting deer with no ear protection, I'm not very worried. My old man has slayed a mountain of deer using .270 and .30-06 over nearly 50 years and his 60 year old ears work just fine.

For hunting that involves a higher volume of shooting they make a little more sense, but as was previously mentioned, electronic muffs do the same thing for a lot less money. But, if you want to use a suppressor, have at it!

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I cannot for the life of me figure out why someone would want to use a suppressor to hunt, for deer anyway. I'm not saying the law should prevent it, I don't have any problem with someone using a suppressor to hunt deer, but I cannot think of a single reason to use one.

Suppressors are big and heavy, I just see them as being unnecessary gear to get in the way. Any proper hunting rifle load is supersonic and is still not going to "hearing safe" anyway. As for subsonic loads, I don't want to handicap myself with inferior ballistics, so they are a no go. As far as hearing damage from shooting deer with no ear protection, I'm not very worried. My old man has slayed a mountain of deer using .270 and .30-06 over nearly 50 years and his 60 year old ears work just fine.

For hunting that involves a higher volume of shooting they make a little more sense, but as was previously mentioned, electronic muffs do the same thing for a lot less money. But, if you want to use a suppressor, have at it!
I can't find hearing protection big enough for the deer, so the others that are nearby get their hearing screwed up and have trouble hearing the predators. Plus, the loud noise of the gun is considered wildlife harassment when you scare them.:icon_ poke::D:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts