Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raised in the country, and in love with handguns of all types all my life, I shoot a lot. Very seldom I am without a handgun. They are a part of getting dressed in the morning. As natural to carry as pocket change, wallet, keys, pocket knife, Glock, etc. When outside working at home carry gun changes with the seasons, and what I am doing. Warm weather mowing the Judge rides the zero turn mower for snakes. Rest of the time is usually a Ruger Single Six with the 22 mag cylinder. It works on everything from chipmunks to coyotes. Winter, deer season months a Taurus Tracker in 44 mag. Other guns are carried at different times for different things from 17hm-2 to a monster BFR 45/70 when sabertooth chipmunks are a real threat. Because I have a gun handy it is easy to take game and pest year round. I am blessed of God to have spent my life being able to enjoy that freedom. Most of the other old farts I shot with have passed over the years. Was just curious how many others had enjoyed shooting the same way. Over the weekend took two crows with handguns, made my days.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I got two skunks in my backyard with my Taurus 990.

·
Registered
91 Posts
With the Burmese pythons expending their territory at our south Lake Okeechobee swamp and living next to its waterway, I have been carrying a Rossi 462 loaded with .38sp shotshells and a few soft points when working on my yard. We have zero tolerance for these invasive pythons here.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have gotten 4 skunks and a few gophers in my yard however since my neighbors are too close for using my handguns, I had to use my Remington 870.

·
10,379 Posts
Taken a skunk and a overly aggressive 'yote with my 1911 and chased a black bear out of my burning barrel with a load of birdshot applied to his hind end with my 870.

I always carry at my house. Never know when mother nature or one of her minions is going to come knocking. It doesn't happen too often thanks to the golden eagles that have claimed my land as their territory, although the mama (almost a 14' wingspan...she's freakin' huge) has taken a few dives at my german shepherd.

Reactions: mesadeldoug

·
Registered
31,687 Posts
Shot two hogs over the weekend that were alive and in snares.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I chase cats out of my yard without my Colt 1911 BB pistol. They are usually around 15-20 yards out, so mainly just scares them off.

·
Super Moderator
34,935 Posts
I can hit a snake with a bullet. Don't need no stinkin' shot shells. I don't make a habit of killing snakes just for the fun of it, though. If it's in the yard, a hoe works fine and won't get me arrested. When out on my place, I've always just carried my carry choice of the day. I've shot hogs in my trap with .22LR from a NAA mini revolver to a .45 Colt and .357 magnum. I usually have my 9mm Kel Tec on me, but sometimes my .38 Taurus 85SSUL. One day, fortunately I was carrying my .357 3" 66, walked up on an 80 lb pig at 15 yards, head shot. I coulda got him with the 9, though, or the .38. He was small and at close enough range.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Once took care of a copperhead with judicious use of shotgun loaded with birdshot. The other night I had a skunk detonate near my bedroom window(I thought I had an electrical fire from the smell, until I notice one of my cats, Herr Stigmeister, was focusing REAL intently out my bedroom window), which prompted dad and I to go out with my 1911 and his S&W Sigma. Never found the skunk, thankfully it didn't hit my dogs, but we sure did smell it. Horrible smell.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the sad duty of taking out our overly aggressive rooster who decided we were the threat to the coop ;( poor birdy, but I named my 45 after him and the Remington 870 that had the "discussion" with him has now been christened, "The Negotiator"

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I put thread in wrong place, put it in other handguns because it was open to any type, brand? Enjoyed replys, nice to see others use their handguns for different things.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Unfortunately I live in at the edge of the city in an apt complex (I hate it BTW) so I can discharge anything, not even a BBgun because our neighbors "Rat" people out for anything they can.. I am trying to buy a nice trailer so I can put it out in the middle of nowhere so I can discharge what ever I want and when I want... The area I live in now though recently saw a rise in coyote population (Yes even in the city) about 75 of them and they are vicious, I dunno why they don't have a controlled hunt to kill em off so no kids gets eaten alive... But I plan on having my EDC on me at all times because of that...Funny thing is I live on 2 major interstates and these coyotes just wander around where ever they want and cause accidents... My neighbor shot one in our back yard and another neighbor turned him in and he had to pay a $250 fine for discharge of his 22lr Centurion 1911 (not sure if that's the brand or what, it looks nice though)

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have used a 22LR revolver to dispatch some woodchucks that kept insisting on digging burrows in the path down to the dock and have also used my old Mossberg 20ga. bolt for predator control. I have found that a 22LR shot into the ground don't always detour the occassional black bear from the yard but a shot in the air from a 38 snubbie sent him looking for a more friendly neighborhood. Yes when I shoot into the air I always make sure that it is in a direction that it will not leave my 30 acres and likewise not likely to impact in the areas where the deer normally are. I do like the 22LR collarbri low power rounds for smaller critters including red squirells.

Now I just need to find a good solution to keep the mice out of the garage! The electronic gizmos don't seem to work and poison is not quick enough!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well after killing a few carpenter bees in flight with my slingshot (using acorns as ammo), I decided to try loading up some 38 spec cases with no powder and rice for pellets, sealed with wax. It shoots nice little holes in cardboard, but when I shoot at the bees they just hover around and keep annoying me. I have some plastic capsules loaded using a small powder charge and lead shot, but I am afraid I'll shoot a hole in the roof of my shop with them. They will blow the head off a snake though. I'm still working on the task.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Now I just need to find a good solution to keep the mice out of the garage! The electronic gizmos don't seem to work and poison is not quick enough!!!
For the last three years, I have found a nest on top of my engine every couple of days. This year I put a couple of Home Defense mouse traps baited with peanut butter on the floor in front of my car. I caught more than a dozen and haven't had one nest on the engine. These cost more than the old wooden traps, but they work much better with the big trip paddle.
Ortho 0321110 Home Defense Press N Set Mouse Trap 2 Pack

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
LMAO sabertooth chipmunks indeed :D
I have mentioned I live on a rather large chunk of acreage surrounded by greenbelt for miles.
We have grizzleys living within our property line and black bears and pretty much whatever else. The only thing we dont have is hogs and snakes.
Being in Canada we cant really carry our guns around but I do on my own property anyway because even if the law wanted to cause me trouble theres only two or three of them for the whole region and they have to travel at least an hour out of their way to get to my place :p
I dont use the guns to shoot critters much though. I just dont really get the urge. I shoot targets and keep the guns handy for protection.
I did shoot a spruce grouse once though. We get lots of coyotes and wolves that come around our place almost every day. The coyotes come right up to the fence line and rub noses with our dogs, but the missus wont let me shoot the yotes... or anything living for that matter. At least not without an argument... 'but they are living creatures and they have a right to live and if they take our dogs that just part of the circle of life' Well im sorry but the circle of life ends wiith my dinner plate hehe :D

·
Registered
29,842 Posts
Grew up in a rural area where we could shoot or hunt in the back yard and miss it sorely now.

We plan on moving back out into the boonies when we retire (if the economy ever lets us).

Right now it's a 45 min. to an hour drive to get far enough out to where the folks don't panic when they hear gun fire.

For those of you who now live on farms and ranches you are envied!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts