Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! i know i'm all over the place, but i have changed my mind. i am no longer looking for a shotgun. i have instead decided to get another rifle. my dad said he would go half on my next rifle. i want one i could go hunting with but at the same time take to the range and have fun. any suggestions? i am currently thinking about an SKS or mini14. i won't be doing any serious hunting. HELP! ;)

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Hunting for what? Big game, varmints or who knows?

SKS, M1A, AR-15, it all depends on what you want to shoot and how much you want to spend...

Steelheart

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Steelheart said:
Hunting for what? Big game, varmints or who knows?
That's what I wanna know too. I like the accuracy of my SKS but do not like its reliability. Did you also look at the mini30? Same caliber as the AK47 and SKS.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan to shoot varmint.....i guess? hogs! and it probably wont be often

·
Registered
959 Posts
Then the 5.45x39 is perfect for Pigs... It's Ballistic's are better than a .223... Remember, its the AMMO that cost more than the GUN over time... Do a Caliber cost analysis before your final decision, especially on a Gun you want to have some FUN with at the Range......<:)) For Hunting, cost per Cartrage is not an issue...!!! "One Shot One Kill" How many Pigs did you plan on Killing a Year...??? More than 20...??? This apply's to Humans to...

$125.00(1 Tin = 1080 rds.) or $210.00 (2 Tins = 2160 rds.)
http://rguns.net/008_3.html

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
SKS rifles are fairly inexpensive and 7.62x39 ammo can still be pretty cheap, when purchased in bulk.

·
Registered
197 Posts
you need an AR15! specially if your old man is going half with ya! for the love of everything good and holy, get an AR!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
SgtKnuckles said:
Then the 5.45x39 is perfect for Pigs... It's Ballistic's are better than a .223... Remember, its the AMMO that cost more than the GUN over time... Do a Caliber cost analysis before your final decision, especially on a Gun you want to have some FUN with at the Range......<:)) For Hunting, cost per Cartrage is not an issue...!!! "One Shot One Kill" How many Pigs did you plan on Killing a Year...??? More than 20...??? This apply's to Humans to...

$125.00(1 Tin = 1080 rds.) or $210.00 (2 Tins = 2160 rds.)
http://rguns.net/008_3.html

Now you've gone and done it Sgt., you have me seriously considering one of these now. ;D​

·
Registered
438 Posts
it all depends on what you wanna spend, if your wallet is feeling way to heavy id go with an AR-15 w/o a second thought, if you would like to pick up something reliable and cheap id go with the sks. the mini 14 is les accurate than the sks, and ammo more expensive.

i have an AR-15 and a 1965 chinese sks. both are great i dont have to rattle off specs about the AR cuse we all know them but for the sks i can get a 5" group @ 250 with a scope. w/o a scope i can get 5" group at 175 ( best i have done). sks also has hundreds of accesories and upgrade options, ammo is cheap and that gun is FUN. plus the sks are rising in value with the import ban and all i cant find chinese ones anywhere just yugo's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts