Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a survey, just a question. I hunt with revolvers. My two favorite are a Raging Bull 454 with 2 x Leopold and 44 mag Tracker with a 4 x TC scope. Have had both for years and killed everything from chipmunks to deer with them. Too lazy to carry a rifle. Have several friends that are handgun hunters.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I hunt with my 44SS8 now. It is on my bucket list to take a deer with it before time is up. It is the only revolver I have other than a couple of 22LR's. I have not seen anything to shoot at yet.:)

·
Super Moderator
13,808 Posts
I don't see a question there, redneck, but I'll assume it's whether any of us hunt with a handgun. I haven't yet, but when I do, it'll be with my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum with 7 1/2 inch barrel. It's too old to have a place to mount a scope, but I find I do well with just the open sights. I really like that ol' ree-volver.

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Only handgun I have I would try to hunt with is the .500 S&W. Tempted to use it for a hog this winter. At 25 yards I am confident I can make a head shot with it.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Only handgun I have I would try to hunt with is the .500 S&W. Tempted to use it for a hog this winter. At 25 yards I am confident I can make a head shot with it.
Heck, I've seen you explode soda bottles with it at least at that distance if not further!!!:D

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Taurus 689 6" .357 have taken 2 deer and a 200 lb boar with it. Open sights no scope, mainly a bow hunter so I like'm close. Couple of coyotes with a Heritage Bird's Head and Taurus 941 both .22 mag. Lot of squirrels and rabbits with a ruger single six

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've taken deer with a model 607 7-shot .357mag with a ported 4" barrel. Also took a coyote with it.
Taken deer with,
Raging Bull .454 Casull 8-3/8" ported barrel
Super Blackhawk .44mag 7-1/2" barrel
Thompson Contender in, .357mag/.44mag/.45-70Govt.

I want to try to take a deer with a .30-30 barrel on the Thompson.
I'd also like to take one with my Savage Striker "pistol". It is a bolt-action .308 Winchester with a 16" barrel.
Then there's the Desert Eagle in .44mag. It still needs to take a deer...

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I hunt squirrels with my Ruger 22/45. Also wanting to use my 500 S&W for deer but I can't until I find some hunting ground, again

·
Super Moderator
35,007 Posts
I like my Thompson Center Contender. With its .30-30 12" hunter barrel and 2x LER scope, it'll shoot 3" groups at 200 yards and is laying down nearly 1000 ft lbs at that range with a Nosler 150 grain BT. Farthermost I've taken a deer with it was 90 yards, but so long as I have a good rest, no deer inside 200 yards is safe. :D Sighted zero at 200 yards, it's only 3" high at 100 yards, one flat shooting pistol. No revolver can match it for a deer and hog gun, especially beyond 100 yards, none, nothing, nada, the revolver don't exist.....:D I have a dead nuts accurate scoped .22 barrel for it, too, but lately I've been using a scoped MkII for small game.

2crsiso.jpg

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I used to have a Dan Wesson 744HV Hunter Kit. It had a 4, 6 and 8" barrels. I would use the 8" barrel with a cheep 4x scope to take Russian Hybrid boars in Northern California. The biggest one I took dressed out at about 130lbs.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Sorry about that, was interrupted in the middle of writing and didnt ask. Who hunts with a handgun of any type, any size game?

I have taken 2 deer with a Ruger Blackhawk .45 LC with open sights at less than 25 yards.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Took a cow elk with a Ruger Super BH at close range, surprised both of us, wasn't hunting elk at the time but it happened and I had a tag. Hunted mule deer with a Contender chambered in 6 X 47 Int. Match, Lots of gophers with everything from 22 rimfire up to 44 magnum, as well as jack rabbits and rock chucks, forest grouse with 22 pistols and Contender Hotshots.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
When I lived in Michigan's "shotgun zone" I used pistols exclusively for whitetails, taking over 40 with various models of .44 Mag. Some laying, some standing, some running, most with open sights, all with my own handloads.

Haven't shot a deer with a pistol since moving to the "rifle zone", but the Flattop .44 Special is getting anxious having taken only small game and vermin.

Most of my small game hunting is done with my Browning Buckmark with a 5 1/2" barrel and open sights. It has taken hundreds of rabbits and squirrels in the past 27 years and is still going strong.

·
Administrator
39,469 Posts
I have a Smith & Wesson 586, I've thought about scoping for some time. I think it would make a good handgun hunter. .357Mag., six inch barrel.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I started out hunting younger than most today . I found out that, if I was up in the woods for other things, cutting firewood, fishing, just camping, I could get more squirrel and rabbit hunting in if I used a pistol that would fit on my belt and leave my hands free and I didn't have to worry about leaving it leaned against a tree.

Naturally when my State finally allowed us to hunt deer with a pistol I was one of the first in line. I think I was 19 or 20.

when they lifted the requirement to have your tag stamped "Handgun only" and let you use either, I lightened up and started putting a rifle in the truck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts