Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doubtlessly one whose address is not beneath a stone has heard of the new movie The Hunger Games, based on the novel of the same name. Not being a man who trusts Hollywood to translate a work of literature properly, I took it upon myself to read the novel for my own eyes.

It is a decent if basic read, as if the author was scared that the potential audience wouldn't understand it if she dared use the same literary creativity Hemmingway is known for, but the premise of the story rests on the necessity of a disarmed population to work.

For an example of that from the text, the novel describes the Protagonists' dillema thus with regard to the drawing for the Hunger Games themselves. As with most totalitarian societies, food and basic necessities are extraordinarily expensive for the main character's family to afford. She, being a child, must volunteer extra entries into the lethal drawing to ensure each member of her family acquires enough food rations to survive.

I post this here because while reading that chapter I had the thought that had I been approached with the same devil's bargain my response would be a resounding NO. Someone in charge would be getting a personal visit from yours truly, and said administrator would be introduced to the old saying that a kind word and a gun go farther than just a kind word. Coincidentally, everything down to bow and arrows are outlawed by the same government that mandates the games to begin with.

Something to think about for those of us aware individuals in America.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
like the saying 'its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees' perhaps this goes with your post.
I will always be one of the first to stand up against such tyranny myself, living on my knees just isnt in my nature.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good read....I'm almost done with the 3rd book. Obviously you can expect Hollywood to have to toy with the story a little to translate it to the screen. I got the same underlying message from the book you did....it goes to further the point that more now, than ever, folks need to wake up and be prepared to stand in the face of the potential tyrants who are running our "government".

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
I guess I'll have to check it out. My 12 year old daughter read all three books and is talking about wanting to see the movie.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I've seen the trailers. Looks like something to watch. I've also noticed that FX has been playing "V For Vendetta" a lot lately. An interesting movie though obviously anti-Christian and anti-Catholic in it's basic theme, it's still a good movie to watch. Tyranny comes in many forms and from many sources.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
My wife has been talking about the movies a lot lately. She's read the series numerous times and keeps trying to get me to read them.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What really sticks like splinter in the brain for me is that the society of "The Capitol" is genuinely what the progressives want for America. A society where the government makes all the decisions , sends and administers the resources, decides who produces what, and in turn who lives or dies. Those of you who read this book can see how the society the author describes is where Obama-and others of his mindset-wish to take us.That world of tyranny and death is what awaits down the road for those who were too tired to go to the polls, and too picky about who to vote for.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
This book finally was available thru my library. Short fast read and the last chapter was nowhere near as good as the rest.

One thing to remember. The citizens DID try to revolt and did indeed take DC but lost when trying to take a backup capitol in the Mountains. This is what enable the gov to disarm them and keep them at a barely livable state. In a way it shows that the spirit to resist is still present and strong but in only a few.

A mix of the movie "Surviving The Game", numerous post apocalyptic America (altho with the gov winning) and sci fi/fabtasy with werewolves thrown in (need either werewolves or vampires these days).

Sarge

·
Registered
311 Posts
Collins is trying to say the same thing that Orwell, Huxley, Bradbury and others have tried to tell us: that obsession with pleasure, the 'if it feels good do it' mentality, expectation of entitlement, and a pattern of dependence all have dire consequences that we, as a society, will face soon if we do not recognize them and change our behavior now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts