Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the short barrel on my PT145,would there be an advantage to using HP's over FMJ rounds?
I will only use 230gr ammo.

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts
FMJ's have a nasty habit of overpenetrating and you would be liable if an innocent was hit by a round that overpenetrated an assailant. JHP's DO transfer more energy to the body. I've never had issues with 230 grn JHP's in any of my .45's, but none of them are PT145's. My current defensive munitions are Remington Gold Sabres and CCI Gold Dot HP's.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Speer manufactures a JHP specifically designed to expand and also penetrate at short-barrel velocities. FMJ also suffers degradation of velocity from the short barrel, which may increase penetration, a seeming paradox. While there are fewer through-and-through shots than people imagine, compared to missed shots (which retain full velocity), it could be a problem in a crowded scenario. I'm all for opening up the internals of the Bad Guy as much as possible, so I use the appropriate JHP to obtain as much advantage as possible.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Qwiks will definitely chime in on this with homework, but the gist of it is this: You have to go with a round that will function in your gun flawlessly 100% of the time. That is paramount to your carry load. Any hollowpoint will do good enough work, but guns a finicky beasts, if they don't cycle in your weapon you have a $400 brick after your first shot goes off. Hardball does tend to overpenetrate, but it tends to be more reliable than hollowpoints. However with the invention of powerball, you will get better reliability with the expansion you are looking for.

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts
Also, most of the newer HP designs have fairly rounded bullet noses, so HP feeding is not the problem it used to be. However, thoroughly test your gun and Defensive ammunition for reliability. Trust, but Verify, as Pres. Ronald Reagan used to say.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The only thing I can add to the above excellent advice is that by chosing FMJ over some form of expanding bullet you are removing any chance of the expansion. Reliable expanding ammunition is one of the areas of great advancement in the last decade or so (with some great loads quite a while before that as well).

Oh one more minor thing. Federal also makes their EFMJ in 45acp and its standard pressure vs the +P of the Powerball.

I'm curious as to why only 230 gr ammo as well.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
230 gr was the magic bullet for 1911's for the longest time it had enough mass to stop in the body at combat range for a pistol and cause good enough trauma for the military to adopt it as the standard ball round for their 1911's. A .45 cal bullet by itself with no magic hollowpoint design, will cause a good wound cavity and for the longest time the combination of a 1911 and 230gr hardball was the main choice for the American fighting man who wanted an auto loader. With the advent of a good feed ramp and like others have stated, hollowpoints design to cycle better, hardball seems to have been relegated to the range, but there are some old timers out there (Me) who still cling to the old ways. However I won't tell you guys what to stuff in your gun, only that you should go with what you feel comfortable with, and cycles in your gun. With the current crop of autoloaders, you should be able to find a good carry load that is 100% reliable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts