Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some 125 gr Hornady XTP's on order and i am wanting to load some 38 Spl +p
for a 2" snubbie (S&W 242) I don't which one to use..... HP-38 or Titegroup..... any suggestions?
I am leaning towards Titegroup

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
You're leaning the right way!! I love it for my 38 & 9mm.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You won't go wrong with either one...... but, I use HP 38 myself. It's consistent, burns pretty cleanly in +P loads....and it's easy to get good accuracy with it.

·
Super Moderator
36,086 Posts
I like HP 38 for both 39 Special and 45 ACP.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Either one is excellent though I lean toward HP-38 (or 231; they are the same powder these days). It is very stable and meters uniformly in my Lyman Powder Measure.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I've used them both, and really, I don't see any practical difference in a 38 SPL, though I do tend to load most of them to the hotter side. Clean, efficient, both of them, and in this area of Pennsyltucky,, the cost advantage is very slightly toward the Titegroup, though YMMV. (That means for comparable velocity, I save maybe $.01 or less per shot for TG).

I know someone is going to ding me for being a tightwad over that, but when it comes to being a skinflint with a 38, I'll shoot 148DEWC's over 2.7 gr of Bullseye. I don't think it could get much cheaper - but your original question was leaning toward +P, so HP-38 (231) or Titegroup do the job admirably - flip a coin for the choice. BTW, they work well in 9mm, 40, & 45 quite nicely, too.

If you are trying to extract maximum out of 2" barreled revolver, Titegroup probably would have the edge in results (can't say for price) and I have gotten good results with 700-X which is very, very near Titegroup on the burning rate chart, though it does not meter as nicely as TG.

My personal observation is that 700-X gave less flash out of the 2" than slower powders did, particularly at higher velocities, which seems kind of counterintuitive..

Flash

·
Registered
186 Posts
For maximum economy in 38 Special, I use 3.5 grains of Bullseye, in addition to the HP38. 3.5 grains gives 2000 rounds per lb. of powder..... about $18.00/ lb around here. That translates into 9/10 of one cent per round. Bullseye is fast enough to give good efficiency out of a 2" barrel. I use the HP38 primarily for my longer-barreled revolver - (the Bullseye load I use for both).

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
One of my most accurate loads is the 125 XTP over 4.5grains of Titegroup, I use Winchester brass with Magnum Winchester Small Pistol Primers. I get 1000FPS + out of my 6" revolvers, titegroup is made to burn completely even with low case fill and short barrels so I still see good velocities with my stubbies.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am not a Tightgroup fan. I love HP38/W-231. 700X is also great for lead and plated in .38. My favorite for light loads with 158 Gr plated bullets in .38 is WST. I still like 700X or W-231 with plated 125's. WST may surplant them though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am not a Tightgroup fan. I love HP38/W-231. 700X is also great for lead and plated in .38. My favorite for light loads with 158 Gr plated bullets in .38 is WST. I still like 700X or W-231 with plated 125's. WST may surplant them though.
why the dislike of Titegroup?

·
Registered
105 Posts
It burns very hot, which is not a plus with lead, and it tends to stain cases badly (the "Tightgroup stain"). A couple of bullet makers have even recommended against using it. I also like charges that fill the case better. Since there are other powders that work great, I quit trying it. I have 3/4 of a pound anyone within driving distance can have.

Many people like Tightgroup a lot though. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i use Titegroup with lead in 45Colt and .357, no issues for me. never noticed any stains, a quick shake in a tub of Iosso case cleaner, rinse under warm water and they look like brand new again.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
i like titegroup, use all the time it does stain cases but i put them in a tumbler all the time anyhow no matter what powder i reload with. back to the ? try a variety over time and see what load works best for you. between the two as stated i don't think there will be a whole lot of difference.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I had not noticed the "stain" feature.

I have loaded 9mm, 115 FMJRN to @1130fps with it and have had very significantly consistent results. And less expensive than Accurate #5 which is my (current) absolute favorite for 9mm.

Flash

1 - 18 of 18 Posts