Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Patrick Sweeney has written a most fascinating article. He took several 1911 guns including a Kimber and Wilson and repeated the "torture test" they subjected the much celebrated shoot it anywhere Glock with these guns.

Glad it was him... I'd never do that to a $2500 Wilson custom, but all of the 1911's took the licking and kept on ticking. So, when your Glock friends start telling you how durable their guns are and how they'll even shoot underwater. Just smile and quote this article. Then ask them which guns are the most attractive?

http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Me too. I'd not even do that to my least expensive guns but for those who have the time and inclination to do it, more power to them. :D

I actually do the opposite with mine; after putting however many rounds down the tube, I give them a thorough cleaning. Heartening to know though that if the PT1911 (or another 1911) did take a spill into dirt, water, sand, mud etc.. that it'd still perform if called upon to do so. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I guess it is nice to know that I can run over my 1911 with a truck, get it very dirty and even shoot it under water. The 1911 had several extensive field trials (also known as wars) under about every climate type imaginable. The 1911 also held up well being tortured by sitting in arms rooms and being ignored except for trips to the field and annual inspections. It was also given the ultimate torture test, it was given to soldiers, who can find every hidden flaw in any piece of equipment. Seemed to hold up pretty well, so I wonder why Sweeney decided to give them a "torture" test. I guess it is nice to know that today's versions hold up about as well as the old ones.

Since I hope I'm well past the age in which I will crawl through the mud and sand with a 1911, I probably don't have to worry about my Taurus functioning well if I take reasonably good care of it.

·
32,616 Posts
Sounds yummy. :)

One caveat. Don't try to shoot a Glock under water. There was a modified one for some of the tests and has no bearing on the real world of handgunning.

Idiots have been taking Glocks and replicating the underwater stunt. The last guy who tried that in his bathtub is know pushing up daisies.

Most people here would obviously figure this is a bad stunt to try, but there is always one goof in the crowd that has to try. Hey. Look what I did for U-Tube or some such thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts