Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a point I made after an argument with a friend of mine who is not accepting to firearms. He is an international business person. He flies, commercial air all over the world. He has a very wealthy lifestyle and a lot of stuff (which I call "junK") Never the less, he should have reason to defend himself.

After compiling some data, I brought him the results and he was rather inclined to listen to me. Now, the final site I found, with the most general data, is not the best, but it does have rather good overall statistics.

However, I have found, and if you search further you will find out, that you have better LIFETIME odds of being killed by an armed assilant than by plane crash. And my point is made as follows.

We all farmilirize ourselves with our everyday vehiclies, cars or motorcycles or whatever. We tend to buckle up, and obey the laws of the road. This is why, for my arguement I discount the automobile transportation statistics.

However. We as humans FLY A LOT. Every time one flies, whether commercial or personal, we by the FAA get a brief on what to do in an emergency. Where the exits are, wear your seatbelt, what happens if we crash... etc.

What happens when you are the victim of an armed assailant? We recieve no training for that?...

You have more chance of dying in a motor vehicle accident (247:1 Lifetime) than dying in an encounter where the bad guy is armed with any weapon, not just a firearm. (1056:1 lifetime)

You have a better chance of dying where an assailiant has a weapon, not just a firearm (1056:1 lifetime) Than dying in an air traffic accident. (5552:1 lifetime)

So, why when we board an airplane, do we pay such attention to the safety cards and pay such good attention to the flight attendants who help us through the safety procedures when we don't even arm ourselves or even wear our seatbelts?

If you add into the statistics of being assailed by a firearm. (324:1) you are getting close to dying in a car accident.

Data from here http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm is US only and is very close to the research I have been doing. I will keep you posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,761 Posts
First off, here's something that your friend could have on those flights: http://www.coldsteel.com/91sp.html It isn't much but its something. No, I don't own one (yet).

As far as how I'm going to die, I'm guessing that I'm not going quietly and I'm not going alone.... And I'll be able to say with pride, once I reach whatever is on the other side of that wall (the boundary between life and death, here and the afterlife etc) that I went trying, not begging and pleading.

I know that this reply isn't quite what you were referring to with your post but its what popped into my head when I saw the title of your thread.

Steelheart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Considering that I'll probably only spend 20 hours or so over the next 50 years I'm thinking I won't die on a plane. I spend more time per week in a car and don't think I'll die that way either. I've never seen a violent crime in my life, someone shoot, so I discount that way of death.

I'll probably live for quite a few more years and die of a heart attack or stroke. Fathers side of the family has death by heart attack and mothers side by stroke.More of a toss of the coin as to which will take me out. They make us take these health and safety classes at work and tell you that for health it's a matter of genetics, age, sex and lifestyle. Can't change the first 3 and the last can only change the odds by 10%. So by that logic if given all the factors it's somewhere between 80-90% chance that I'd die by one or the other. So if I ate really clean foods, worked out at the gym every day, stopped smoking I'd only decrease the odds by 10%. Still an 80% chance I'd die of the stroke or heart attack. I've had aunts and uncles that tried that lifestyle, still died that way and only added a couple years to their life over those who didn't. But thats how all of them died. They all have did between their mid to late 80's. That's the best I can hope for. :'(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,761 Posts
Thats still a pretty good age to make it too.

Steelheart
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
Give me another 20 years to make it my mid to late 80's which by the way is when my Grandmother, and Dad died. Of course MOM, my Uncle, and my grandfather died of cancer much earlier. But MOM had cancer about 17 times before she died.

I am only up to about 4 cancers, so I have a way to go!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Sorry to hear cancer took out your family, terrible way to go.

The way I was living I didn't think i'd see 30. Coming up on 50 this years so the last 20 have been a blessing. Mom and dad are around 80 and still working. Mom has 3 jobs.Dad has had a half dozen heart attacks, keeps coming back. Mom's had 3 strokes and a mini stroke. Like I said it's a toss of the coin.

Wife's family fares better. Her granddad if gonna be 90 in August. Still sharp as a tack. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
From natural causes while hunting in the mountains
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
Well I have preatty good idea how I might go out I'm 100lbs overweight and I have a horrible diet. But I started running again so I should remedy that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
I've often joked that I want to die at age 90, shot by a jealous husband. 8)

My real desire is to go in my sleep at a ripe old age. I do what I can to reduce my risks, and cherish every day that I am still able to lead an active, productive life in “retirement.”

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
stephpd said:
I'm thinking I won't die on a plane. I spend more time per week in a car and don't think I'll die that way either. I've never seen a violent crime in my life, someone shoot, so I discount that way of death.
But if you had seen all these things before, personally, they would be more likely?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
981 Posts
Now that I've been diagonosed as a diabetic I'll probably have a heart attack or die from kidney failure, and die that way.
How do I want to die? How about pulling a child from a burning building and saving it's life? That sort of works.

But really? Just make it FAST.

AFS
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,931 Posts
AirForceShooter said:
Now that I've been diagonosed as a diabetic I'll probably have a heart attack or die from kidney failure, and die that way.
How do I want to die? How about pulling a child from a burning building and saving it's life? That sort of works.

But really? Just make it FAST.

AFS
Ok, do not expect too much from what you suffer from. I am a diabetic, who has had a heart attack, and cancer of various types four different times. I have had a restricted kidney problem for over 40 years that I am aware of.

What I am trying to say is You will probably outlive us all!! Nothing I have had, has taken away my desire to continue with life. I do not worry if tomorrow one of them causes a problem again.

You will probably die from trying to carry that kid out of the fire! You will fracture something and the hospital will treat it wrong, and kill you instantly!! :D :rolleyes: :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
39,896 Posts
When I die I want to go out peacefully in my sleep like my grandpa did, not yelling and screaming like the passengers in the back seat. :drool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
With the way I lived the first 40 years of my life, I'm surprised I've made it this far! I'll probably die in a motorcycle accident, knock on wood, but I won't die a victim of a violent crime without taking a BG or two with me. ;D
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top