Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have worked a trade with a guy for a used PT22. He said he would give me the opportunity to shoot it before we finalize, if I would like. Can anyone tell me what are the common signs of a failing PT22? I mean, I know what to look for generally on any other semi auto, but these having a tip-up barrel is completely foreign to me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Well, it has been my experience that if you use a good quality ammunition that the little guns run pretty good. Do be aware of the fact that the firing pins are fragile, especially on the older guns, and try not to dry fire.

The only other thing I would recommend is that you understand the gun is strictly blow back. As with other tip up barrel firearms there is no extractor. If there is a round in the chamber and you rack the slide don't presume that you have removed the live round from the chamber and the gun is safe. Tip up the barrel and shake out the round in the chamber then visually inspect the chamber to make sure it is clear.

Good luck with the little gun and shoot safe.

Don

·
Premium Member
8,347 Posts
If there is a round in the chamber and you rack the slide don't presume that you have removed the live round from the chamber...
No problem for me- There's no way I can rack the slide on that little m........... (Ahem, "monster....")

Actually, what I have in the safe is the older, all metal, PT25. The newer poly .22's may not be as stout.

Reactions: stupimlico

·
Premium Member
4,234 Posts
Mine would not feed from the magazine. I had to bend the two little tabs at the back because the shell was getting hung up on the back of the magazine. Someday I'll post pictures here on the forum for others who may experience the same issue.

Other than that, she runs fine. I'm guessin' if it shoots good, then keep it! Of course, I don't know nuttin' about guns.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
You don't have to "rack" the slide. Drop a round into the chamber by tipping up the barrel.

INHO, there are no "good" ones. Every one I have seen fails fairly quickly. The Beretta 22A is back on the market. Spend the extra 120 bucks and by quality.

·
22,309 Posts
The Beretta 22A is back on the market. Spend the extra 120 bucks and by quality.
Thanks for the chuckle. I remember the festering piles of excrement Beretta put in my unit's armory. Half of them had casting voids on the slide, as if they hadn't bothered to pour enough metal into the molds before machining them down to final shape. I know they are a long standing company, but those were the guns produced to protect our freedom.

You can have your Beretta quality. I'll take Taurus, thanks.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
You don't have to "rack" the slide. Drop a round into the chamber by tipping up the barrel.

INHO, there are no "good" ones. Every one I have seen fails fairly quickly. The Beretta 22A is back on the market. Spend the extra 120 bucks and by quality.

No one said you have to rack the slide to load a round into the chamber. What was said was that if you think there is a round in the chamber you can not remove it by racking the slide. You simply tip up the barrel and shake the round out.

I also would suggest that if you Have not seen any good ones then you have not looked at many. I own both the Taurus as well as the Beretta and I cannot place one ahead of the other for dependability or for longevity of the firearm. I would not suggest either one of the guns as a fire arm you want to depend your life on. However, for a fun time at the range shooting reactive targets, plinking at coke cans, or just fun punching holes in paper either one fits the bill.

Don

·
32,532 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Any PT22 is good provided on the 3....1) The User 2) Quality Ammo 3) Maintenance any one of the 3 astray well so is the PT22, PT145 or what ever weapon you are using except G-Whatever garbage Gaston has the public suckin up. Glocktards and money easily separated G-19 $600 "PERFECTED" by additional $250 in aftermarket parts. Glock for when you need to throw good money into a toilet Just to make it perfecter REAAALLLLLY

·
Registered
576 Posts
The only time the wife's little PT-22 decided not to work, was when the little polymer buffer on the front of the frame broke. I ordered a new one and a couple spares and it's good to go again. Like most .22 auto loaders, it prefers some ammo to others.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only time the wife's little PT-22 decided not to work, was when the little polymer buffer on the front of the frame broke. I ordered a new one and a couple spares and it's good to go again. Like most .22 auto loaders, it prefers some ammo to others.
I was just about to ask about that little buffer. Can you share a picture of a good one? Also, where did you buy the extras?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
View attachment 450735

You can barely make it out on the bottom of the slide. I called Taurus and ordered them from them. I don't know if you can get them any where else, or not?
If it's supposed to be what I think it is, then mine is all but non existent. I'll have to look into this more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Any PT22 is good provided on the 3....1) The User 2) Quality Ammo 3) Maintenance any one of the 3 astray well so is the PT22, PT145 or what ever weapon you are using except G-Whatever garbage Gaston has the public suckin up. Glocktards and money easily separated G-19 $600 "PERFECTED" by additional $250 in aftermarket parts. Glock for when you need to throw good money into a toilet Just to make it perfecter REAAALLLLLY

You lost me after PT145. What are you trying to say through the rest of your post? I thought we were talking about a PT 22…

Don

Reactions: stupimlico

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got done chatting with Emily for the second time in the last week. She was very helpful in finding and lining up an order for 3 buffers, I hope they don't eat me up with shipping (I still have to call and give them my CC#).

She was also able to tell me that my pistol was manufactured in January of 2004. I don't know why they turned off the Date of manufacture on the Serial Number Look up tool on the website, but at least they will tell you if you want to know.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Whelp, they are thumping me over the head with 8.75 to ship those tiny little plastic pieces. At least I am getting them to send me a new book and box for it since it didn't have either when I bought it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have had a Poly PT-22 for a few years now and have only had a couple of problems... one, my original mag fell apart on me, thankful I had a couple of spares. And second it started having trigger problems. Sent it in and about 3 weeks later was all fixed and they even improved the trigger. Works better than original.

I am really happy with my PT22 and rarely ever leave home without it. Hides too easy NOT to drop in a pocket and go.

Here is a review of MY model...

https://gunblast.com/Taurus-PT22Poly.htm

And as for self defense... don’t discount a good 22 even if you carry something bigger...

https://straightforwardinacrookedwo...dark-arts-for-good-guys-22-lr-pistol.html?m=1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts