Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new die set came in today. The die box came open in the envelope on the way here, and they are a bit beat up. I'm especially concerned because this is a very expensive die set, a Redding Pro Competition series, which are supposed to be very precise and has one of those micrometer seating dies. Most of the visible damage is to the box and the lock rings. The only thing that really concerns me is the bottom edge of the micrometer dial on the seating die has some dents in it.

Now they came from Midway so we all know I'm good, but the problem is after waiting two months for them to be in stock, they are now of course sold out. They list arrival as 5/29/13 or something.

What to do....what to do..... first time I've been disappointed with Midway, but I guess it's not their fault they don't have replacement stock. Still sucks.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Man that sucks. Not like Midway at all, but like you say they will make good, but the wait is a pain.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
So my new die set came in today. The die box came open in the envelope on the way here, and they are a bit beat up. I'm especially concerned because this is a very expensive die set, a Redding Pro Competition series, which are supposed to be very precise and has one of those micrometer seating dies. Most of the visible damage is to the box and the lock rings. The only thing that really concerns me is the bottom edge of the micrometer dial on the seating die has some dents in it.

Now they came from Midway so we all know I'm good, but the problem is after waiting two months for them to be in stock, they are now of course sold out. They list arrival as 5/29/13 or something.

What to do....what to do..... first time I've been disappointed with Midway, but I guess it's not their fault they don't have replacement stock. Still sucks.
OUCH! Normally insurance or the seller would just take care of it. How hard to determine if they will work properly? Was the shipment insured? I'd send images (including packing material) to Midway and start a negotiation. Maybe you can use or try and use them and return them when the next one arrives. They know they cannot replace it now.

Everyone is so swamped with orders - I've seen poor packing (also over-packing - like way wrong size box) as a probable result of everyone being in a hurry.

Please post up results - I'm sure others are dealing with the same or similar issues!

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whoever packed it must have opened the die box for inspection, and not fully closed it after. It has a really positive latch that I can't believe opened accidentally. I think they'll work fine, but they look like a used set. The knurling has flat spots in places and the graduations on the dial look a bit worn. Sadly, I think I shall return them. I'm going to sleep on it. For $160 I kind of want a perfect set. It's not like I don't have dies.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Whoever packed it must have opened the die box for inspection, and not fully closed it after. It has a really positive latch that I can't believe opened accidentally. I think they'll work fine, but they look like a used set. The knurling has flat spots in places and the graduations on the dial look a bit worn. Sadly, I think I shall return them. I'm going to sleep on it. For $160 I kind of want a perfect set. It's not like I don't have dies.
i know the feeling. I hope that wait period #2 is a short one!

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you send them pictures and use them while waiting for a replacement set?
I'll find out, but I doubt they'll let me keep and use this set and then return it. The damage is subtle, and won't photograph easily.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That sucks, but as you said these dies are suppose to be precision dies. I wouldn't like it, but I'd return them... MidwayUSA is good for it...

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Yep that sure does suck! Sorry glenwolde. Of course Midway will make good on it but another wait time is not a good thing. I would call them tomorrow and see IF just maybe they have a set...just maybe!

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: I received the replacement set today. The box was unlatched, but the dies didn't come out. Only the spare decapping pin was floating around in the bag. You'll note this is a month sooner than the estimated delivery they originally showed that I listed in my OP.

Maybe things are getting better. Now I'm going to go sell my RCBS set to the idiots on eBay.

RCBS 9mm Carbide Die Set 9mm Luger | eBay

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
You sold a set of dies for $128?!

·
Registered
222 Posts
You sold a set of dies for $128?!
Yep, it looks like he did. In fact they sold for $128 bucks and .01 cent!

I need to dig out all my dies and sell them on E-bay it looks like and then replace them with new ones from the manufacture for a quarter of what they sold for! Simply amazing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts