Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this up on my "first holster project" thread, but no one responded. I thought I might give the question its own thread.

How do you add any kind of unique/exotic animal skin to a holster project? I got a few piece of some kind of reptile skin in a scraps bag, large enough to use, but it does not seem to be as flexible/stretchy as cowhide. It is so thin, with just a thin suede backing, that if I attach it while leather is flat, then try to bend it to shape holster, it seems like it may tear. Do you put it on after the holster is already shaped? Can you use water to make it more pliable, or will it not sink in enough to do so? I really dont want to screw the skins up, so any tips would be very helpful, as there is little on the inner-nets about this,

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I have no knowledge that will assist you sir. However, when I'm older and don't work as much I would like to try my hand at making some holsters. My mother has a bunch of leather working tools and I remember messing with it some when I was a kid.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
In my opinion reptile or fish are not good for leather skin. It dries out pretty easy, or you have to keep it well conditioned. For boots, you can put conditioner on it, but eventually, it will dry out.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I would imagine you would have to make the holster like normal with heavier leather, and then attach the skin as a decorative piece after the holster has already been formed.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Good luck. Where's GhostHorse when you need him?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts