Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used gunbroker.com? How does this work? Are there monthly fees for registering? would you say it is a safe way to buy firearms or a good chance to get ripped off.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
With my limited experience on GB, it looks comparable to eBay. I've bid on a few things, and still looking, but haven't actually closed a deal. I'm sure the business sites are at least as reputable as they are in real world, but I don't feel quite as 'secure' as eBay. That said, I can't imagine too many blatantly criminal types openly operating on a firearm site. They would have to be the kinda crook that would answer 'Yes' to the 4473 questions?? :D You would probably be in more 'danger' on CL than GB. IMHO, YMMV.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I use it all the time. No fee's, No membership Just sign up and go. A couple of things to look for:
1. Look at the seller's feedback, it speaks volumes.
2. Watch out for shipping charges, some folks want to profit from shipping, I mean really profit.
3. Don't get caught up in the bidding, set the price, you're willing to buy something for and stick to it. There will be other guns.
4. It's a seller's market.
5. Find yourself a local FFL who'll charge you 15.00, 20.00 or 25.00 max for the transfer.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Oops, got hung up on the 'safety', and forgot... No fees, at least for me. I don't recall the entire process, but I think you have to setup the account as 'individual' or 'business', and there may be fees for a business account. After you're signed in, you can save searches, send messages, and watch items (like eBay), and wait for the auctions to end, or use 'Buy It Now'. Overall, it seems like no more trouble than any other online shopping site.

·
Administrator
39,379 Posts
Another use for Gunbroker, and like sites, is that you can research prices for specific items you may have in mind. They'll give you an idea.

Reactions: stickem2

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I have made 5 purchases from gunbroker (3 mags & 2 handguns). Have not had one problem.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think they make you donate a buck or something if you use yahoo or hotmail. or some other non isp provided internet service. To help prevent scammers. IIRC, you can sign up just not bid on anything.. I get an account update e-mail once a month since I signed up a year ago. GB is still waiting for their dollar. =)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I think they make you donate a buck or something if you use yahoo or hotmail. or some other non isp provided internet service. To help prevent scammers. IIRC, you can sign up just not bid on anything.. I get an account update e-mail once a month since I signed up a year ago. GB is still waiting for their dollar. =)
Set up an email account at www.gmail.com and forget the buck charge.

Reactions: Jc85

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I do use GB, and have never had a problem. As Smokewagon made mention of, it is a great tool to use for research of pricing, availability, and basic information. You do need to watch for what a seller charges for shipping. Some sellers also charge for use of a credit card or should I say they offer a cash discount price. Feedback of a seller is a great tool to see who you are dealing with.
Many GB purchased I have make have been with a USPS MO, however I prefer to use a credit card for protection of a deal gone bad.

Another good source for locating a firearm at a good price is right here on the forum. Ask for assistance in locating and pricing of a firearm. There are a number of members who either have connection they can pass along or know where to look. Trust me, I'm cheap...I am always looking for a bargain.

·
Super Moderator
40,407 Posts
No fee to sign-up and bid. I have bid on many guns, have not won one yet. When you factor in shipping and FFL transfer fees it is getting harder and harder to score a good deal.

Reactions: Zylo_X

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
No fee to sign-up and bid. I have bid on many guns, have not won one yet. When you factor in shipping and FFL transfer fees it is getting harder and harder to score a good deal.
So far, that has been my experience as well. As others have said, a good tool for research, or maybe as last resort. I've been searching for the PT1911-ALR, but found nothing on the ground here.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I've used both G.B. and Auction Arms. The A.A. site I find to be more useful. On A.A. I can just go to a general classification, enter price range, and voila, all the guns within category and price pop up.
Another way. I have a Beretta m84 that I'll want to sell when I think I can get my price. I have their list of them of the about the same age and condition on the "Closed" list. I've watched them fluctuate slightly upward and downward. (The price they actually sell for.) When I believe the market will bear my price, I'll put it up for sale. In the meantime, it will wait.
Before you bid, run their registered F.F.L. list for your Zip area. Find your transfer guy first. I use pawn shops because they generally are 1/2 the fee. My guy charges $20, including the "call" to the state. That's for up to 5 transfers on the form. If I had a C.W.L. it would be $5 less.
Oh, The best advise that I can give you?......Shop around, don't go "bidding cuckoo". Remember that the cost of shipping and transfer all add up, for me usually around $50 on top of the winning bid.

·
Banned
824 Posts
no problems here either. just be aware that sellers will often times run the price up on you by using secondary accounts. in other words - dont bid too high too early because they will push you to your max real quick. you'll see what i mean when all of a sudden you are outbid by someone with no history. set your price and stick to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts