Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Administrator
Preferably at room temperature. I have however stored it in a barn, exposed to heat and cold for an extended time, with no ill effects.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

Registered
Just think of all the ammo that the army stores in Afghanistan & Iraq.
Don't worry about it. It will endure.
I don't even worry about it getting old until it's at least 20 years old.

Registered
Cool. Dry. -- for longest shelf-life.

However, I still have some 1927, corrosive-primed military 30-06 that has ben stored in a lot of everything but water, and it will still outshoot most factory stuff today.

Registered
Cool. Dry. -- for longest shelf-life.

However, I still have some 1927, corrosive-primed military 30-06 that has ben stored in a lot of everything but water, and it will still outshoot most factory stuff today.
hermetically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch... "Carnaac"
Air tight containers. I was using garrand 30.06 Greek surplus ammo out of spam cans head stamped 1969 that looked new and shot 1" groups at 100 yards.
I keep my ammo in USGI cans with good seals.

Registered
I use surplus USGI ammo cans with a packet of desiccant thrown in with the ammo and tucked away in various closets around the house.

Reactions: jwc007

Supporting Moderator
I also use GI cans, after all where do you think the military kept all that WW II ammo you find at gun shows? :)

22 LR in 30 cal cans, handgun ammo in 50 cal cans and rifle ammo in fat 50 cal cans.

Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo. :shocked:

Registered
My ammo is stored in ammo cans inside a pickup truck tool box. I don't put all my eggs in the same basket, so empty ice chests also house ammo, powder and primers. I recently fired some 44 mag that I reloaded in 1971, stored in a barn, but dry - they were exposed to both high and low temps over the years, and worked as new.

Registered
This 60 year old (1960 Lake City) .50 BMC is "STILL" being put to good use in Afghanistan.

Attachments

Registered
I've shot .303 British that was made for WWI- 1917 headstamp (me and a buddy ordered a case while I was in college in the early '90's and that's what showed up- the cardboard boxes disintegrated when we broke the seal on the crate) and 230gr Ball made in 1943.

Both went bang every time.

Reactions: olfarhors

Registered
Would storing it in mtm plastic cases help with long-term care
Keeping it cool and dry (mostly dry) is the big thing.

Factory ammo needs to be left in factory boxes so everybody knows what it is.

Registered
I use 19" Harbor Freight tool boxes they are flat and stackable. I pack them and label them for the different hunting trips and the others for various calibers and accessories.
The are inexpensive, easy to handle, pack and access.
I close the lid on half of an old envelope and write on the half that is sticking out to use as a label.

Registered
I use a lot of different things for storage.
The wooden crates it comes in.
The cardboard cases it comes in.
The cardboard boxes it comes in (50 rd boxes).
MTM Casegard hinged boxes (50 and 100 rd boxes).
Other plastic ammo boxes too.
Plastic jars that peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets come in.
30 cal, 50 cal and 20mm metal ammo cans.
Pretty much anything strong enough to hold the ammo.

Registered
Store ammo like you would like to be stored. Seriously, if it鈥檚 comfortable for you, the ammo will be fine. Not too hot, not too cold, not too humid ...

Registered
I have the perfect storage place in my garage. Send me all your ammo
and I will keep it for you!!!!

Registered
Personally I store each little round in its own cylindrical 'bed'. I 'wake' it up when I squeeze the trigger, then I store another little round.. and so on. Happy ammo makes for happy groups.

Don't know about you guys, but here in good old GB we have to store rifle ammo separately from our firearms. But..(yes, there's always a 'but'..) it's ok to store it in the small fitted lock-box in your gun safe..!! Could be a case of together but separate. Shotshells are a totally different thing. I can have in my house up to 10,000 cartridges and they can be stored anywhere they fit. I have two boxes of 250 under our bed, another 1000 in the closet in my man cave etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts