Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new G2C, its has a rough black finish that is causing my oil wipe down cloths to leave small threads and lint all over the slide. the G2C that I bought in 2018 that I now carry has a smooth black finish and was never rough. How can I smooth the finish on my new gun slide?, i have tried oil and regular gun cloths but the finish won't smooth up, tearing up the cloths after repeated uses. thanks for any help.

·
8,790 Posts
Interesting observation. I wonder if there has been a rolling change on the line. The G2C I owned last year also had a smooth matte finish. Now my new G3 has a Tennifer coating on it, and it is rough like you describe your G2C. Wonder if Taurus changed their G2C coating to Tennifer as well.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
I bought a model 85 a couple of years back that had the black finish. I thought it looked kind rough so used fine steel wool to lightly polish it. Came out looking pretty nice. Not blued steel nice, but it was an improvement.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought G2s 40 today that has the new rough finish, gun was built in April. I was using a inexpensive leather pancke belt slide holster, the finish started shineing [smoothing] up pretty quick, do not think it will be real durable.

·
Super Moderator
36,800 Posts
I bought a model 85 a couple of years back that had the black finish. I thought it looked kind rough so used fine steel wool to lightly polish it. Came out looking pretty nice. Not blued steel nice, but it was an improvement.
That's kind of what I was thinking...0000 steel wool with a light oil...start on an inconspicuous spot to see if it's the result desired.

My other thought was wax...carnauba wax.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
My Iver Johnson Thrasher had the same type of finish, a grainy black. I did some research and found it was a Mid-temperature Black Oxide. Cheaper to apply, less hazardous and not as durable as the Hot Black Oxide. Lint from my oil cloth left lots of fuzz on the surface. I used a metal polish called "Bling" from msitrt.com. I hand rubbed all the surfaces with Bling on an old tee shirt. The result is a finish the makes the gun look MUCH older than it is.... Be Careful ...

DSCI1679.JPG
DSCI1680.JPG

·
Registered
54 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I cleaned mine with a regular rag. Used a microfiber one instead and it didn't seem to be as bad.. You could always have your slide cerakoted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts