Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had a Winchester Model 120 for 24 years and it hasn't been fired, but I now want to put it into use for home defense even though it has a long barrel.

My question is how to lube it now that it has been sitting so long, the pump action seems to work well. Have a can of Remington shotgun oil on hand.

I live in a dry climate and doubt if it has rusted inside.

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
Since it has been sitting a while, I would do a good field strip, take the barrel off and drop the trigger mechanism and remove the bolt.

Give it a good cleaning with solvent and then lube it with any good gun oil and wipe off the access.

The main reason I would clean it good is old oil will congeal after a period of time and it becomes a solid. The pump rails and the bolt area are the two most critical, but you'll feel better if you do a good cleaning and the pump action will be a lot smoother as well.

A good cleaning of the hinge on the shell elevator would be another good idea as well as the shell keeper on the rear of the magazine tube..

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
Run a patch down the barrel with a little lube on it and check to see if there is rust on it when it comes out. Put a drop of oil in the firing pin and lightly oil the inside of the reciever (I use Qtips on the hard to get to places), a lite coat of lube on the outside and you should be good to go since you say the pump action works well. Oh and you might want to take the forearm off and check for rust under the wood on the barrel. Some might do a more detailed strip, but I wouldn't I have an old 870 pump that I have abused the crap out of for years and I'm completly confident it will go boom every time I ask it to. It was even thrown in a stock tank one time. And no, don't even ask how it happened. ;)

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, sounds like I have a little project on my hands. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts