Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These days identity theft is big business. There are a multitude of ways that a bad guy can get your personal data for his gain. Among these methods is your old computer hardware. Particularly the hard drive in your old computer. Most people would say that wiping the HDD will be enough. Programs like Darik's Boot and Nuke are incredibly good at removing all the data on your old drives. But if you aren't careful, you can erase data on a different drive that you wanted to keep. Not that I've done that! Ok. Maybe once... Anyway, I thought I would offer up my way of dealing with this problem.

Step One:

Remove the old drive from the computer. You might want to make sure that you are removing a drive that you want to keep. There is no Undo option here. This are a couple of old hard drives that I had laying around the house. This method will work on any size hard disk. It makes no difference. (Click on image for larger version)

Step Two:

Select your tools. In this particular situation. I have chosen a Taurus model PT24/7 Pro in .40 S&W. The particular ammunition was Blazer Brass 180 grain Full Metal Jacket. Your tools may be different from mine, but I think you can see where this is going. ;)

Step Three:

Find a safe place to work. It must be well ventilated. Plenty of light. Most of all, BE SAFE! Do NOT handle a firearm of any type unless you know what you are doing.

Step Four:

Proceed with your work. I recommend repeated applications. As many as you like. I only stopped after a few hits because I could no longer get the HDD's to stay in one place long enough for me to get a shot off. WARNING! This may result in uncontrollable grinning and/or giggling.

Step Five:

Sleep soundly with the knowledge that your data has been protected!

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Re: How to keep others from reading your old hard drives

Thanks doc. That seems like much more fun than erasing a hard drive. :clap: :shooter:

·
21,932 Posts

Now thats using your smarts to come up with an efficient way to solve a problem.

Looks fun too. :D

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It was fun! I had them mounted on 2x4 with a deck screw through the 2x4 into the HDD. That way they stood on their end and wouldn't tip over. They couldn't take but a few shots before they went flying. About 6 feet. :D That was the best part! I really should have taken some pics & video of the destruction as it happened. But it was getting close to dinnertime and I wasn't thinking clearly.

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts

Doctor_Venkman said:
It was fun! I had them mounted on 2x4 with a deck screw through the 2x4 into the HDD. That way they stood on their end and wouldn't tip over. They couldn't take but a few shots before they went flying. About 6 feet. :D That was the best part! I really should have taken some pics & video of the destruction as it happened. But it was getting close to dinnertime and I wasn't thinking clearly.
You really should have used your shotgun, it would have been even more satisfactory!
I never distroy them until they are no longer functional, but people could if desparate, move the platters to another drive, and read the data, if not done your way or with a shotgun.
Speaking of that, I do have a very old 420 megabite drive, and a 5 gig I may erase today!!!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Robby said:
You really should have used your shotgun, it would have been even more satisfactory!
I never distroy them until they are no longer functional, but people could if desparate, move the platters to another drive, and read the data, if not done your way or with a shotgun.
Speaking of that, I do have a very old 420 megabite drive, and a 5 gig I may erase today!!!
the black drive was 254 Megabytes and the other two were 639.9MB each. I think they still worked but were pretty much useless.

I didn't want to use the shotgun 'cause it would bust up my target holder upper!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

oh man if you wanted to shoot up some old hard drives i got a couple dead ones i would have swapped you.. i could have used those in some vintage computers i have.. especially that Connor man those things work forever, makes me a little sad :(

btw keep the frames they should be aluminum if you recycle that is.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sorry Joe. Didn't think anyone could use them. Do a google search for that conner drive. I looked it up to find out the capacity before I shot it and saw a few places selling them.

Thanks for the tip on the aluminum frame. I never thought about that.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

Some days I'd like to do that without using step 1, if ya know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts

LOL... that was a good laugh!

·
Registered
259 Posts

thunderjohn said:
Some days I'd like to do that without using step 1, if ya know what I mean.
You know computers are here to make our lives more simple!!!!!

Also "I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts

Ingenious Doc - there are some days that I'd like to have the hard drive user hold the target for you, chest high.......that would solve the REAL problem. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hmm... I wonder if that voids your computer warranty? :) :shooter:

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
only one way to find out - take it back to Best Buy and ask them if this falls under 'normal wear and tear'......

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I need to try that sometime with my .500 Magnum............. :p

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
If there's a hard drive left to take a picture of. ;D ;D Ok I'm being facetious. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts