Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was firing my new PT145 yesterday and was trying to get better at my POA to equal POI. What is the best way to practice this and get better?

CDP

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
32,788 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
32,788 Posts
There's lot to consider. He can start with the POI/POA links in the first one,read that, make changes as necessary or take the time to do things right. The POI/POA stuff is at the bottom 6715.0 link.

Researching in depth is a part of this.

Since we are not present physically to see how he shoots and the techniques it's hard to know what needs changing if anything at all. Too many variables to check.

He asked for a lot within the simple queries he has proposed.

Stance, how the gun is held, thumbs high.thumbs low, bullet and cartridge weights and combos, gripping the gun, finger pressure on the trigger and the grip itself, foolow through on the trigger, and the other too many to mention variables make it hard to give just general simple advice without going into detail.

That's all provided here.

He can shoose to ignore all this, but he's going to have to go through all the stuff to become proficient. That's whether he does this with other competent teachers or by himself.

Take some time and absorb the lessons learned by others and what they have to offer.

I didn't even get started on having a small reference library and the fact that Paladin Press,Police Book Shelf and www.krause.com are good places to start one with. Just the basic books by been there done that authors.

Mas Ayoob and Chuck Karwan's Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery are one of THE definitive sources,easy to read, and come with pictures depicting what's being described.
Updating the few reference books on shooting every year or so can't hurt either.

So anyone takes the time to check it all out,so much the better.

Unfortunately we can't video conference his shooting at the range. LOL

Me, overload someone. Naw!!! LOL

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Me, overload someone. Naw!!! LOL
Yeah, right! But I know the input and reading helps too. Ya'll let me muddle thru the index of homework, and it did help. Reading and correct practice does help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wanted to thank you all for pointing me in the right direction and providing me with the resources in this thread. There is alot to go over, and I am slowly reading each reference. I am not looking to be a marksman, but I want to hit my mark each time I pull the trigger. More of a tactical self defence knowledge and expertice is what I am looking for in my shooting. So thank you for getting me started.

CDP

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
it helps to shoot groups,cut a peice of cardboard to fit the target at your range.then place little stickers about 8 inches apart and above the others.then shoot about 5 at the first dot.if you shoot low to the left(like must of us)then on the next dot learn to shoot up and to the right some.by the time you get to the last dot you should just about be dead on.

good luck and i hope this helps

·
32,788 Posts
Getting people down the right path is just the right thing to do.
CDP, we all had to start somewhere. Without the guidance from others we'd all more than likely not even have gotten to where we are today.

So giving assistance or a helping hand is just paying back what others did for us.

Who knows. You might eventually get a desire to get into IDPA,IPSC, bullseye, or even bowling pin shooting. Competition gives one and edge and all the people in those sports are willing to bend over backwards to get another shooter to that point.

One need not worry about fitting in or being judged beforehand.

So who knows where the future will lead.

I still recommend the Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob as a good starting point. Every aspect of shooting and how to are in that book. Tactical knowledge and much more are in there,too.

The www.krause.com link will get one there. Then it's click on the tab Firearms and go form there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again everyone. I just bought The Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery, 5th Edition, though Barnes and Noble used but the third party seller said it was new condition. I read the reviews for the 6th edition and most said that it was basically a reprint of the 5th. It only cost me $5.88 with shipping. I also wanted to get your opinion on buying a laser sight for my PT145, especially for dry fire. On E-Bay I can get the NcStar Tactical RIS Laser Sight Kit W/Toggle Switch for $30.00 shipped. It is a red LED laser sight light which mounts on the PT145 rail. Let me know what you think.

CDP

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi CPD,

Can you share the E-Bay link where you found the NcStar Tactical RIS Laser Sight Kit W/Toggle Switch? Do you know if they ship overseas?

Thanks a lot! ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
those are some great videos!! I sat in front of the computer with my pistol, (not loaded of course), and practiced along with him!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts