Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Let's say before the Nov 2020 election that the 1994 Fed Assault Weapons Ban was put back into law. I am picking up my PSA AR15 300 blackout pistol tomorrow and it would (will) be banned for sure. Would there be an upper that I could buy that would not have a flash hider and not have a barrrel shroud? Or should I just count on turning it in to the "buy back" people and be happy with my mini 14 ranch and my Hi Point sw40 (both are compatible with the FAW Ban).

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
36,789 Posts
Putting the cart before the horse IMO. Let's wait and see what damage may be attempted to our constitutional rights.

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
You wouldn't like your AR after you got done doing that. Scrap those 30 round mags, if you had them, anything over 10 rounds would be verboten. Hardware kits, repair kits, anything related to keeping an AR running would be impossible to find. No pistol grips, no adjustable stocks, no quad rails, anything that 'looked' evil would likely be part of the ban. The best advice I could give you is, buy hardware kits, grips, anything you could possibly need, now, before such a ban kicked in. I'm personally looking at buying a bolt assembly group so that if mine has a problem, I could drop a new one in and go.

Normally, I would tell you that it's needless worry because the Senate is Republican controlled, but it's a very shaky majority, and besides that, I don't trust any of these congress critters anymore when it comes to this stuff.

·
Administrator
40,095 Posts
Buy back? How does one buy back something that was never theirs in the first place? I don’t think it will come to that, but if it does I expect participation will resemble New Zealand’s.

·
Super Moderator
36,789 Posts
You wouldn't like your AR after you got done doing that. Scrap those 30 round mags, if you had them, anything over 10 rounds would be verboten. Hardware kits, repair kits, anything related to keeping an AR running would be impossible to find. No pistol grips, no adjustable stocks, no quad rails, anything that 'looked' evil would likely be part of the ban. The best advice I could give you is, buy hardware kits, grips, anything you could possibly need, now, before such a ban kicked in. I'm personally looking at buying a bolt assembly group so that if mine has a problem, I could drop a new one in and go.

Normally, I would tell you that it's needless worry because the Senate is Republican controlled, but it's a very shaky majority, and besides that, I don't trust any of these congress critters anymore when it comes to this stuff.
Just heard on the news tonight that Adam Kinzinger, ILLinois rep with a 95% rating from the NRA is now coming out for magazine capacity limits and national background checks.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
291 Posts
I never watch the news.

There's rumor of a ban where you couldn't keep a rifle you owned before the ban?

Nothing grand fathered in? Class 3 stuff?

I know some other dude that probably has close to a hundred 30 round mags too.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
I own one M4 and 11 thirty rounds mags. The question is, should I buy another MSR or a bunch more mags before the ban happens? I'm sorta thinkin' another AR. :D

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
well IF its an across the board buy back program where they are talking about all firearms i am hoping that i can get a better deal from the Feds than i can from Taurus and dump the last two 24/7's that I have.
I think that IF a total ban (no grand father clause ) is made that it immediately will be challenged in court, and I doubt with the present Supreme Court that it will stand.
either way I am not going to worry about it, more interested in putting my work toward the next election nd getting the right people in the offices, the ban will be dealt with if and when it comes.

·
Super Moderator
36,789 Posts
I am seeing PSA and Radical Firearms posting sales on components and firearms still. Apparently not a big rush to buy them yet. After Sandy Hook the rush was on as people thought that they might be banned and if they already owned them they were safe from confiscation. If no grandfather clause, then the carbine bought today for 400-600 bucks might be worth a 100 dollar WalMart card later on.

·
Super Moderator
35,225 Posts
I am seeing PSA and Radical Firearms posting sales on components and firearms still. Apparently not a big rush to buy them yet. After Sandy Hook the rush was on as people thought that they might be banned and if they already owned them they were safe from confiscation. If no grandfather clause, then the carbine bought today for 400-600 bucks might be worth a 100 dollar WalMart card later on.

At least in Texas, the AR bought now for 400 bucks would likely be $4000 6 months into the ban. That seems to be the way things go regardless of laws. Just look at how class 3 firearms have escalated. Even if the AR is technically illegal to own, it'll gain value. I look at the Klinton gun ban. ARs with a bayonet lug were 4 times the price of one that complied with the laws. Heck, I'd sell my M4 in a heartbeat and just buy a compliant gun if someone just HAD to have a bayonet lug. :laugh: I don't need no stinkin' bayonet! :rofl:

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
At least in Texas, the AR bought now for 400 bucks would likely be $4000 6 months into the ban. That seems to be the way things go regardless of laws. Just look at how class 3 firearms have escalated. Even if the AR is technically illegal to own, it'll gain value. I look at the Klinton gun ban. ARs with a bayonet lug were 4 times the price of one that complied with the laws. Heck, I'd sell my M4 in a heartbeat and just buy a compliant gun if someone just HAD to have a bayonet lug. :laugh: I don't need no stinkin' bayonet! :rofl:

well that's likely because you just don't understand how important a bayonet is!!!
I had an older original from China AK-47 that I bought when I was in the gun business, I think I might have paid like 170-180 bucks for it wholesale, included 3 mags, a sling, oiler and such.
I gave it to my Son, then the great ban debate came and this particular manufacture/model was selling for like 3500-3700 bucks, you think IF I still had it that I would not have sold that thing?
told the Son to sell it but it was a gift from Dad and so he still has it.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,598 Posts

yea, if the right deal comes along I may just speculate and buy a couple more AR's, I mean if you get them at a good price then regardless what happens you likely will not loose money and IF a ban hits then
"we're in the money"!!--- just call me Ole Madoff!!

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
And lets not forget, your looking at the past for things that might get banned, i'd say look at CA as a metric for what will be attempted, and hope for a grandfather clause. And this is assuming that anything happens, it all depends on the next elections, i think this time unlike any prior, is really going to be about gun grabers vs gun owners, with the undecided tipping the ballance, and im not hopefull it will be in our favor, it is far to easy to spread fear of guns and say they are only for killing people, then it is to show other uses that people wont just say, yeah you can use it for sport, but is that worth a single persons life? Followed by the popular, you will still have standard hunting rifles, and handguns. For people who dont feel strongly, they either wont realize/care that this is a important first step to getting the rest, and that single life line, is going to be a good selling point for them to vote dem.

biden had a interview with cnn i heard about, didnt see so cant speak to all that was said, but the small parts i did see on youtube basically had him admit that his administration would ban and come after modern sporting rifles., below are the important parts that i took from it, his 2nd comment on the subject about a buyback could very easily be a mandatory buyback as has been done in some places, so while they are not "coming to your door" they are making it where you will go to prison if you dont surrender the gun. And i could see that happening, i would hope we have enough states and a supreme court that would slap his wrist and say bad biden go back in your corner, but anything can happen, just because we think they will rule a certain way, doesnt mean they will.

and i consider biden to be one of the least extreme ones we have running, there are far, far worse ones in that mix

https://www.theblaze.com/news/joe-biden-on-whether-his-admin-is-going-to-come-for-peoples-guns-bingo

"So to gun owners out there who say well, a Biden administration means they're going to come for my guns," Cooper began.

"Bingo," Biden quickly replied. "You're right if you have an assault weapon. The fact of the matter is they should be illegal, period. Look, the Second Amendment doesn't say you can't restrict the kinds of weapons people can own. You can't buy a bazooka. You can't have a flame thrower.

Biden later clarified that he did not mean he was immediately going to try to implement confiscation programs, but rather that he wanted to "institute a national buy back program" to get "assault weapons" off the street. However, he seemed to leave the door open for further measures.

"Right now there is no legal way to deny them the right if they legally purchased them but we can in fact make a major effort to get them off the street and out of the possession of people," Biden said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts