Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya all from a new member,

My baby is the 24/7-9BP-17 (9mm/17 round) which has been a great pistol. I'm just checking to verify that the recoil spring assembly cannot been broken down to clean the internal piston action. I haven't found any info. on the Traurususa.com site nor on posts. What is the best way to clean this part?

Good shooting,
Second_Life

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Personally, I take a cleaning patch and soak it in Hoppes #9, then start at one end and hold the patch around the diameter, turning it and working my way to the other end. Depending on how dirty it is, I may do it again, or not. Then, clean the ends with another patch, then repeat the process with a clean, dry patch. Not much to it, really.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here, just soak and clean as best possible. One thing I add is to push the springs down to expose the rod in rod which lets me spray some cleaner then oil into the slot.

Thanks for replying and confirming what I thought.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That is my one MAJOR complaint with the 24/7s.
This part should be made of Steel not plastic IMHO, Just getting it back into position it can break!
I know, I broke one all ready.
The Dustcap on the end just flew clean off.

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
I hose mine down with generic Windex, let soak, rinse it out with water, dry it with Plastic Safe Gunscrubber Spray, let it dry, and then relube. Never a problem, so far.

The Captive Recoil Spring Assemblies on my 24/7 OSS Longslide .45 is an all steel assembly. Only my Standard 24/7 Pro 9mm is a mix of Plastic and Metal, which bothers me not in the least, and the aforementioned cleaning directions apply to.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It also helps if you put the gun back together, lock the slide back to compress the spring, and it will expose about half of the plastic rod in which i usually try to wipe with a patch a few times then re-lube. All of this of course after cleaning the spring...always works for me, never had any problems with it (knock on wood haha)

JT

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
Thats a good idea, JT - I'll remember that one.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hit mine with some Hoppes #9 on a patch then spray some CLP. Cycles fine after about 1500 rounds of some pretty filthy ammo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts