Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was helping my MIL today clean her pistols and rifles that are in storage. She had left 20 rounds of .243 in her rifle belt from her hunting days, and they now have a slimy, green band on them from being in the leather. I got the leather cleaned and oiled asap. Is there any way to get the green stuff off and save the rounds, or should I break them down and save them for reloading? I can wipe it off with a cloth for the most part.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Lemon juice on a cloth and wipe them down, vinegar if you don't have any lemon juice. Once you have them somewhat shiny, car wax will keep them that way for a while.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I've always just used a dab of Frog Lube CLP on a microfiber cloth, takes the verdigris right off and keeps it away for awhile too. You can also use lemon juice or vinegar, but their acidity may actually increase the formation of verdigris over time, so make sure that you coat them with something afterwards which won't interfere with the powder/primer but prevent further oxidization of the brass.

Reactions: Lmstncwby

·
Registered
37,073 Posts
WEL my idea is that a really GOOD Son In law would junk those things and buy Mommy in law some nice nickel plated 243 ammo for that use!!!----

Attachments

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I always used some very fine steel wool and a little elbow grease. Good as new!

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
The green stuff gave my Buck 110 fits for years. There's something in the leather tanning process that causes it. Brasso and elbow grease will do the trick followed with a coat of wax. My leather sheaths (and holsters) all sit empty now, like they should.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I did a couple last night, and the brass under the gunk looked like it had just rolled off the line.

Cassrh, I know what you mean. It seems to be worse with the older leather. My MIL's ammo belts/holsters are all 50's vintage.

·
Registered
19,806 Posts
:unsure:...sure is easy to tell who isn't Navy around here.

Product Material property Tin Metal

:mellow:...you learn a lot of things in the Navy...:dry:...how to clean and polish brass is the very first.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
The green stuff gave my Buck 110 fits for years. There's something in the leather tanning process that causes it. Brasso and elbow grease will do the trick followed with a coat of wax. My leather sheaths (and holsters) all sit empty now, like they should.
There is a little trick to leather sheaths and knives, probably works with ammo belts and brass cased ammo too. Melt some paraffin (wax) and mix with a little mink oil, and then before it hardens wipe it on the inside of the sheath and rub it in as best you can. Really cuts down on the rust and green stuff.

·
Registered
19,806 Posts
LOL, hate that stuff. ARMY.
Yeah...:unsure:...I had my conflicts in the Navy, usually with officers and always...:dry:...over the fluff. It's the military...:dunno:...the last thing you should want is a buncha' shiny crap that just makes you an easier target for the enemy. These are implements of war, not parade floats. If it can't get beat-up, it apparently serves no useful purpose and shouldn't be there and in the way in the first place. :icon_rolleyes:...makes ya' wonder where they get these guys. :D...apparently I was far too adult to go into the military, when I went into the military.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,426 Posts
Yeah...:unsure:...I had my conflicts in the Navy, usually with officers and always...:dry:...over the fluff. It's the military...:dunno:...the last thing you should want is a buncha' shiny crap that just makes you an easier target for the enemy. These are implements of war, not parade floats. If it can't get beat-up, it apparently serves no useful purpose and shouldn't be there and in the way in the first place. :icon_rolleyes:...makes ya' wonder where they get these guys. :D...apparently I was far too adult to go into the military, when I went into the military.
If you are in the Navy, and they are close enough to see your shiny stuff. Someone has already stepped on it

To the OP: Nickel cases should solve the green slime problem

Attachments

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
How to clean the green off of brass?

A good NCO can help with that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts