Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new pt809 as my first handgun. My first trip to the range resulted in many light strikes and FTF's. I was hoping to find some advice on the way to best clean out all the gunk from inside so that I can get it running smoothly. Pictures would be nice but I'm sure I could do without.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Most people use gun scrubber and a toothbrush to get the gunk out. Did you clean The gunk off before firing it? My brother in law bought his 809 last week and I cleaned it for him. I did a complete slide strip and hammer support clean up. Also cleaned his mag just to be sure. His first range trip had no failures what so ever.

Light strikes can happen in 3 ways.

First the hammer traveled completely but the firing pin block did not disengage.
Second the hammer stopped the the half cock latch. You can tell if this happened if your hammer is slightly protruding.
Third lousy ammo.

Diagnose:
For the fist one the primer of the bullet should have a light dent on it. If the gun fails to fire, cycle the round out and check it. Don't use the second strike ability yet.

Second problem. No strike on the primer. When you cycle the bullet out you will not see any strike on the primer at all. I had this problem. Even if I use the second strike ability it will still not fire. Even if I pull the trigger in DA 5x

Third problem. The primer has a deep strike. This one is scary since the primer might become unstable and ignite on its own. Talk to a range officer right away on how to dispose of it safely.

Solution:
The first problem can be fixed with a good slide cleaning. I hear break clp works great for that. I haven't personally tried it though. concentrate on the firing pin block and see if there are any gunk in there. Check that your firing pin block lever is moving freely in the frame when the trigger is pulled.

The second problem requires some moderate to advance smithing. I had this problem with mine. I had a bent trigger bar, firing pin plunger spring problem, and a bur on the hammer catch. Don't fix this on your own since this is your first hand gun. Use your warranty :)

The third problem can be solved with quality bullets.

There is a guide on how to strip your 809 here just but get to know your gun first. Start wi the basic field strip first.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/s...-slide-frame-disassembly-pictorial-guide.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every round that did not fire had a light dent on the primer. I am going to give it a good cleaning and hopefully get back to the range this week. If that doesn't work, I suppose it's time to take that advice and use my warranty! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Every round that did not fire had a light dent on the primer. I am going to give it a good cleaning and hopefully get back to the range this week. If that doesn't work, I suppose it's time to take that advice and use my warranty! Thanks for the help!
My problem was that I was getting brass shavings, presumably from Remington UMC ammo. The first time it happened, the firing pin was stuck forward (hello slamfire?), so I shipped it off. The second time it happened, the guys here helped me figure out how to clean the firing pin channel. I now clean it every session to every other session. For an area that you want to keep dry, the firing pin channel acts like an oil sump! Mostly because of the partially open firing pin block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts