Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how reliable the PT1911 is; I've been wating for the SS vesion for over a year now...and read quite a few reviews on it (pretty much all positive :)) but was wondering if some of you guys were holding back the bad stuff :p :-[

Is the gun easy to limpwrist? picky about ammo? Do you guys get any FTF's/ETE's with your PT1911's that you wouldn't get in another gun?

I like guns that are 100% with any kind of ammo (95% of ammo I shoot now are my reloads). I'm not fond of guns that have a 'brake in period' or once that are hold sensative (always considered to be an excuse for an unreliable gun)

thanks!

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well from my experience the gun writers are pretty much dead-on. I fed my gun everything in my box... about 300 rounds off the bat with everything I had including hollow points, reloads with 230 gr very flat SWC and 185 gr pointed. I've but around another 700+ rounds, mostly reload LWSC 185 gr both in moderate and full house loads... all without any FTF or FTE.

I'm not sure what you mean by "easy to limp wrist"... I've shot everything in my batch... 9mm, .40 S&W and .45's and I've not had problems with limp wristing. I have learned to shoot two handed with a good hold. I would presume that would be more of a problem with shooting single handed.

From my experience... what you see is what you get with the PT1911. Aside from grips and finish, the gun is one that just doesn't need to be "messed with". The parts appear well made and so far completely functional. I've never sent a gun back to Taurus, but when calling, so far their customer service has been polite and helpful... but I've learned it helps to be nice to those folks.

So... I don't think anyone is "hold back" anything. Some are pretty enthusiastic partially because these days it's nice to find things perform as advertized... but so far so good. Buy one and enjoy!

·
Registered
276 Posts
I second what Cimarron has stated. I have had some FTF and FTE but that was attributed to my poor handling of the gun, improper cleaning, and tinkering around with springs. The PT1911 is accurate and makes me look good at the range with its tight groups. I can carve out the bullseye at 25 feet with this thing. At 25 yards I can hit paper and for me that is really good, since my eye sight isn't at all good at that distance with iron sights.

Ammo hasn't been an issue with me, since I have stuck with FMJ 230 grain. It looks like Cimarron hasn't had any issues with hallow points or flat nosed ammo.

I have read that there is a break in period on the PT1911 and I can attest to it. However, I think the "break in" was the user getting used to the gun, not the gun. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with the other posters. Mine has fired everything I've put in the magazines without fail. I've had an accuracy problem with a box of Independence 230gr FMJ. I switched to WWB and the problem disappeared. I have two additional mags of unknown origin that work without problem. The grips didn't "feel" good, so I replaced them with Hogues.

I've had the pistol about 6 months and don't have enough rounds through it to evaluate the long-term reliability, but so far it's been very accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Taurus 1911 worked perfectly right from the box. I own S&W, Colt, R.I. and Springfield 1911's in addition to my Taurus. I'll take the Taurus any day. Wouldn't think of changing anything on the gun. Plus, it will eat anything you want to feed it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just passed 1000 rounds downrage. Less than 5 FTF/E, but about ten percent of the time an empty mag does not lock the slide open.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts