Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here. I'm a new Taurus revolver owner. I traded a Smith and Wesson 64-5 Police trade in 38 special for a Taurus 431 in 44 special.
The 431 dates back to 1994 and looks like it has been sitting in a safe since then.

It's the stainless 3" bbl, fixed sites model.
I'm not really a 44 special guy but I couldn't resist how nice this gun looks. It's all steel, no mim, no lock and has a beautiful stainless finish.
It looks so nice I don't even want to carry it. I tried finding some examples for sale on gun borker and could only find one in the completed auctions tab that sold for $575 buy it now in similar condition. Having checked verious auction sites, etc I couldn't even find any for sale anywhere at the current moment.

IMG_20120923_122646.jpg

Frankly, having owned both S&W revolvers and now this, I have to say I am impressed with the build quality on this piece. Even the hammer and trigger are stainless, and there doesn't seem to be any mim parts, no lock, etc.

My question is how rare is this gun? If only 1 came up for sale on gun boker in the past 6 months in this condition and it sold for $575 buy it now did the guy list it too low?
It certainly seems nicer than most of the revolvers I see for sale in the $500 to $600 at my local gun store, either Smith or Taurus. Is this just a very good example of a beautiful revolver from a by gone era??

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome aboard! You don't see very many 431's and especially with a 3" barrel. I have no idea as to production numbers, but I'd bet there weren't a whole bunch made. Maybe a call to Taurus would give you more info.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
A lot more of the 4" and 6" were made.Would probably sell around 400-450 on straight auction.I have one also and I love it.I would have to have two to carry one as I don't want to dick mine up either.

·
Registered
175 Posts
About 7-10 years ago it wasn't uncommon to see them on Gunbroker (about as common as the Rossi 720), though I never saw one in person. Sometimes there would even be 2 or 3 3" 431's on auction at the same time. However, no one has made any K-frame sized 3" revolvers in any caliber for a long time, they are probably the ideal carry revolver (terrific balance, enough weight to easily tame recoil, but not too heavy to carry comfortably IWB or on the belt), and like 3" S&W .357mag K-frames, people seem to have caught on and if they have them, they keep them. It does seem quite rare to see them anymore, and when you do, the prices are much higher than they were just a few years ago. Makes me really kick myself that I didn't buy one 7 or 8 years ago when I had the chance to buy one in like-new condition for under $400.

That said, nice find (you lucky...).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts