Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
It appears not to be the same as my new PT 92. The grip is not relieved for the de-cocker. Here's a good way to check. Unload and clear it. Thumb-cock the hammer. Try pushing the safety down. If it de-cocks, it will drop to about 3/4 down. (Safety notch)
I see that it has replacement grips. Did you get the original ones with it? The prior owner may not have wanted to use the de-cocker, if it has one, and put Beretta style ones on it.

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
If those wood grips are original, then it's quite safe to say that you have an older, pre-decocker model PT92. This should not be a problem, as you can manually de-cock the Pistol, should you wish to use it in the DA First Shot mode. I do that with my EAA Witnesses (CZ Clones), all the time, and is a basic skill. Practice with the pistol unloaded, till you have mastered it.

As for the Pistols Age, it would appear from the Finish, Grips, and Mag realease to be made sometime in the late 1980's to 1991. Then afterwards the Decocker Models were made. Your Pistol appears to be in very good condition and should give you years of very reliable service, just as my 1992 vintage DeCocker Model is doing! :shooter:

Well worn, but still well working, 1992 Vintage Decocker Model

·
32,614 Posts
True, but lowering the hammer on a live round can be tricky,dangerous to the user and others. Granted, it can be done and has for decades. There have been slips and the gun unintentionally goes off with the nasty consequences thereoff of.

Does the procedure for lowering the hammer safely need to be gone over here or does the person making the query know how to do this?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Not really. If you have snap caps, insert one into the magazine. Cycle as to load it. You now have the hammer back. KEEP THE MUZZLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION, as always. Holding the hammer with the thumb, pull the trigger, gently lowering the hammer down. If it falls, it would detonate a live round. Do this untill you have feel for it.
I wouldn't try it with a live round untill you get to the range. Always keep it pointed downrange.
If you keep it loaded for house defense, just leave it "Condition Three", untill you're comfortable with lowering on a live round. I have the de-cocker and still leave mine in Condition Three. (Loaded magazine, empty chamber) Heaven forbid you should need it, but if you do, when you rack the slide, you'll be in condition "Zero". (Chamber loaded, hammer back, safety off)
If I missed anything, I'm sure to be corrected.
P.S. You don't really need the snap cap.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I don't care if you have training oozing out of your... :fart: Like Qwiks stated, it's extremely dangerous to drop the hammer on a live round. (even if you think you have total control of the situation) Without a decocker, PLEASE do not attempt this. It has been done for years but I've seen too many "skilled" individuals cause a lot of heartache.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
at the range I wouldn't have a problem with manually decocking a gun, but would rather not to do it say at home. (if you do have it pointed at a stack of phone books etc ;))

BTW since the PT92 has a firing pin block, if you pull the trigger and hold the hammer back AND release the trigger wouldn't the firing pin block stop the pin from hitting the primer even if you drop the hammer?

Need to test it out using a case (w/ no powder or bullet) with a live primer...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I appear to be late to the party but... The first one is a non-decocker, just like my oldest one. I never use a decocker on any of my firearms simply because when I started shooting there was no such thing and I have seen a few early ones fail (S&W), hence I don't use it because of personal choice.

That being said, I DO believe it should be used by nearly everyone. I know, Its do as I say, not do as I do ;)

·
32,614 Posts
If going to decock with a live round in the chamber(advise against it like our other staff member does though this has to be done with these older 92 models) it is a good idea to use the left thumb and put it between the hammer and the frame when lowering.

Do this in such a way that the hammer will hit the left thumb or ride it down Very Slowly. Even if the thumb is pinched, it is better that happen than a round go off.This way if the hammer does drop suddenly the left thumb will either catch it as it lowers or the hammer will be slowed down enough there should be little energy left to set off the round.
All this takes major practice with the snap cap in place.

One other caveat. Even decockers can fail. They are mechanical. Having the muzzle in safe direction at all times is paramount. Chances of a negligent discharge of that happening are a lot less than with manual decocking.

Decockers have are not only ordinarily safer than doing it the manual way, there is also having to decock after a defense shooting or ordinary reholstering needs to take place. Or both.

Under those circumstances when one is shaking and their fine motor skills are gone is not the time to try to attempt a manual decocking. Dexterity being gone under these circumstances can lead to negligent discharge. Liability and moral issues make this something that one doesn't want to have happen. Ever.
Problem is, after a defense shooting the gun is going to need to be decocked before holstering for obvious safety reasons.

This all may seem obvious, but needs to be covered here anyway.

·
32,614 Posts
One last thing. During decocking manually, once the trigger has released the hammer the trigger finger needs to be completely out of the trigger guard. Never reinsert the trigger finger back into it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Chances of a negligent discharge of that happening are a lot less than with manual decocking.

Sounds like something from an old high school health class video...... :p :p

Sorry I just couldn't help myself ;)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My wife just read what we both wrote and is laughing her butt off...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks folks! I appreciate all the insight and can't wait to get my Taurus!! In regards to decocking, I'm not sure what I will do, I've dry fired a Beretta in double action and it was a hard trigger pull, I could see going Double on my first shot then single messing me up but, I just wanted to know how to operate the Taurus in double for the sake of knowing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts