Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how often i should rotate magazines for home defense? Will the spring become weak if i keep a magazine loaded too long? I have 3 that i can rotate with i am just seeing what you all do with yours?

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have heard of mags mags left loaded for many years, I would not sweat it.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Keeping springs either loaded or unloaded doesn't weaken the spring, running them at the range will do more damage than leaving them loaded. It may be a good idea to check your mags periodically for feed and function, cleaning and lubrication. But overall you should pretty much be fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Being a cop, i break down my service pistol and mags once a month to clean and re-oil them

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I shoot all of my magazines each time I go to the range, I will clean them about every 200 rounds.

·
Administrator
39,469 Posts
Leaving them loaded or unloaded won't harm them. But if you're more comfortable in rotating them, then by all means do so. I don't, and I've mentioned this before. Have a pistol in the barn that has had the magazine continuously loaded since 1975. Works flawlessly every time I shoot it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 3 magazines for my G17 and I used to leave one unloaded because I worried about the spring. After reading several cases of magazines loaded for decades that fed successfully to the very last round I started keeping them all loaded. But, they all get unloaded regularly too. Also, it seems like if the spring is going to give out, its going to do it in the last few rounds of the magazine. In a defensive situation, it probably (statistically) won't be an issue. However, on a really bad day I'd rather have a full magazine to shove in its place than have an empty one relaxing in the safe. Granted, that would have to be one heck of a bad day. A day in which a handgun was probably a bad choice anyway.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The longest I left a magazine loaded was 8 years, all rounds fired and the magazine is still working.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Magazine springs from reputable manufacturers are built pretty heavy duty these days. You shouldn't have any problem leaving them loaded for extended periods of time. Also, I believe that most LEOs are not like Davis, and leave clips loaded for quite awhile -- and their lives depend on the proper functioning of their firearms...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I leave all mine loaded all the time.
The only rotation mine see is at the range.

I have seen this question several times. I have never seen an answer that said mags could be damaged by leaving them loaded.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've always rotated them once a month if I have not gone to the range. At the range I make sure to use all of my mags.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I always like to rotate them to the left for good luck.

·
Registered
31,743 Posts
When a spring is new, exercising the spring will loosen it up to a point. After that, it diminishes extremely slightly over thousands of times of being exercised. Having a full load on a spring will weaken it initially, again, only initially. After that, a spring does what a spring is supposed to do which is spring back to it's initial shape. Fully compressed or under tension (except for the initial use) a spring is a spring, is a spring, is a spring! There are stories of magazines being loaded for 50+ years and working fine, but you best clean and lubricate the pistol you are using it in. Think of a watch spring, when watches still had a spring, and how many years they will keep on ticking. If they are not over tightened and broken by that method, they will go on a long time.

I have a 1915 vintage 17 jewel pocket, leverset Hamilton Railroad approved pocket watch that has never had the mainspring replaced. I paid $22 for it in a pawn shop in Longbeach in 1969. I'm thing of selling it and buying a .308, it should bring $400-500.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Every Bad Guy! :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well from what I am gathering is that it truly doesn't matter if you rotate or not, seeing as I go to the range around once a month and I make sure to use all my mags when I go. I clean my gun after every use no matter if I shoot 50 rounds or 500 rounds.

Thank you Jake3501 for the explanation because the spring is the exact thing I was worried about being compressed for "too long" but it seems like I wont have that issue if it is compressed for a month at a time. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I am wondering how often i should rotate magazines for home defense? Will the spring become weak if i keep a magazine loaded too long? I have 3 that i can rotate with i am just seeing what you all do with yours?
Every now and then I'll check some of my x-tra mags and if the cartridges seem to be turning green I'll go shoot them up first.

1.1 USA.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts