Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I attend a Real Estate meeting of Brokers every Tuesday and usually go eat Mexican Food, it's Taco Tuesday at Rosas.

Meeting was short, so we needed to kill a little time while before lunch. Our favorite time killers, other than having enough time to go shoot, is going to gun shops.

We went to a couple I had not been to in a couple of weeks, the kind that have ammo, AKs, ARs and other black evil rifles for a price., I had already been to another one yesterday, but more of a traditional shop that rarely carries the sport utility rifles.

I noticed one shop had Remington .22 LRHP Golden bullets in a 225 round bulk for $23.50, I had never seen a 225 round bulk pack, I had been surprised when Remington came out with a 350 round bulk pack a couple of months ago for Walmart.

I have 7 full Remington 550 count bulk packs of .22 Golden Bullets that I consider the black sheep of my .22 ammo larder anyhow, preferring the Federal Bulk over it. Just for grins, I asked one shop owner what he would pay for the Remington and he said $35 a box. My first inclination was to run home and return with all 7 boxes, but my next thought was, what if the Ammo never gets plentiful again before some asshole puts a dollar a round tax on .22?.

If the local gun dealer offers me $35, he is going to sell it for $50 plus or keep it for himself, I sure didn't want store trade, not when a scratched up WASR 10 Romanian AK was $900 and a Yugo SKS was $530.

I did make a score today though, I finally found a front sight adjustment tool for the AK and Saigas, for $15, which has been hard to find locally for sometime.

Folks, any ammo other than for elephant guns you may find at Walmart, you need to buy 3 boxes of, if it is a popular caliber, you can always sell it to a local gun store for a profit, but obviously, I'll keep every thing I have, I don't know that we will ever see things the way they were.

I feel like I've made a profit on my larder when I see the prevailing prices, even if I don't sell it, and no sonnybeaches are gonna tax what I have, I don't even have to pay interest on my dividends. Odds are, ammo will get lower than today's realistic prices (what the avg price at online suppliers are), but we have no guarantees. December 24th, you could have paid high prices and still felt very comfortable today when you look at reasonable prices. I saw about 10 boxes of Federal 525 count bulk .22 for $24.96 on the 5th of January and thought those to be a great value, should have mortgaged the farm for those. That was the same dealer who offered me $35 for the Remington Golden Bullets today...wonder what he may pay in a couple of weeks????

Reactions: Saint21282

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
I made the mistake of giving in to a friend, he was moaning that he had no .22lr and could not find any. I caved and sold him a box of my Federal 550 bulk. He saw them at the gun show for $70.00 and offered me $40.00, in 2-3 years I hope I don't regret it.

I will not give up anymore now.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have two older grandsons 16 and 17 1/2, whose folks just moved onto 10 acres a few miles out of town. I know they hunt coyotes and rabbits and use .223 and .22 Long Rifle.

I didn't know how conservative they were in shooting ammo, so Sunday, when we took home their little sisters, 6 and 9, I grabbed a 550 box of the Remington Golden Bullets, and a 100 count of the Mini Mags to take to them. I left those in the car when we went in and questioned them about their supplies. Each had bought a 550 bulk box of Federals and 200 rounds of Mini Mags back last September, and with basketball going after that, still had most of their .22's so I didn't give them to the boys. I figure if they continue to be hard to get, then they will appreciate them more next Christmas or for their birthdays. The grandsons weren't even aware they were hard to come by these days.

Reactions: bmbroker

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I haven't been to the range since last October, not because I don't want to, but because I felt the shortage coming on. I really want to go shoot, but feel like I need to hang on to what I have until this madness corrects itself. I only gots a little ammo (Texas starter kit) and feel like I should hang on to it.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
My LGS has had Bricks of CCI Blazer 40 gn RN for $17.95 for years. He told me that he didn't order anymore from his supplier because they had almost doubled in price. There is a lot of gouging going on everywhere.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I buy ammo every 2 weeks as much as I can .

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The boxes of Federal bulk (550 rd) .22LR I have, I picked up for $13.00/box several years ago. The current prices are beyond insane.
I'm not getting rid of a single round, unless I shoot it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love the federal bulk 550's. I used to be able to get them anytime at any walmart near me. Now they are hard as hell to find. Cabela's was the last place I bought .22's from. They had no bulk just the 100 round plastic containers. I bought as much as I could afford. I hate the feeling of not being able to just go and plink away with my .22. I used to dump 300 rounds at a given session at the local sand pit. Now if I shoot 100 I feel like I over did it. I feel like the squirel's know this, as they have been coming in my yard more and more. It's like they are mocking me!! I will have to bust out the crossman .177 and remind them I am still here!!

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love the federal bulk 550's. I used to be able to get them anytime at any walmart near me. Now they are hard as hell to find. Cabela's was the last place I bought .22's from. They had no bulk just the 100 round plastic containers. I bought as much as I could afford. I hate the feeling of not being able to just go and plink away with my .22. I used to dump 300 rounds at a given session at the local sand pit. Now if I shoot 100 I feel like I over did it. I feel like the squirel's know this, as they have been coming in my yard more and more. It's like they are mocking me!! I will have to bust out the crossman .177 and remind them I am still here!!
The squirrels don't mock me, at least not for very long, not with my Trusty Benamin Sheridan .22 cal. I seriously think if I had 10,000 rounds of .22 LR, I would still be judicious with that or any other ammo in how much I touch off. I have a new scope on a Marlin model 60 I need to zero. I will limit that session to 15 rounds...maybe fudge to 25, and about 25 rounds of .45 acp and 25 of .38 special for proficiency sake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts