Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very clean and still tight 1982 Stratford Charter Arms 3" Bulldog that I bought used. From a rest, in single action and with light target load or factory loads, it shoots futher to the left with each 5 yards you add. I'ts been consistently 3/4" left at 5 yards, 1 1/2" left at 10 yards, 2 1/4" left at 15yards and 3 1/2" left at 20 yards.

I've paid my $49.99 and Charter Arms is willing to change out the barrel. They have the proper holding fixture. Does anyone have any personal knowledge of, if these .44 Bulldog frames tend to have cracks from use that will open up under the strain of a barrel removal. There is obviously some risk since I've been asked to send them a waiver. I'm willing and will take some risk so long as I don't hear it is a great risk. So far I'm hearing that if the gun has been shot alot and hard, there may be cracks. This one appears about as tight as a new one I looked at in a lgs.

I'd like to go for it because it carries so well and I enjoy shooting it. I just am not comfortable with maybe having it shoot left.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
That does explain why it's clean and tight!

I'd go for it but I'm a .44Special "enthusiast".

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After asking a local Gunsmith I know very well and posing this question on the Gunsmith forum on a number of sites, I called and asked them to go for it. They even offered to do a few other things while it was apart. I'll find out Monday how things went.

·
23,195 Posts
I hear good things about Charter customer service, but it sounds like they almost expect to see cracks. That makes me glad I passed on some Charter .357s I was recently looking at.

I wonder if you could have filed out one side of the rear sight a bit, or better yet had a gunsmith mill one side out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear good things about Charter customer service, but it sounds like they almost expect to see cracks. That makes me glad I passed on some Charter .357s I was recently looking at.

I wonder if you could have filed out one side of the rear sight a bit, or better yet had a gunsmith mill one side out.
As much as that poi needed to be moved, I doubt that would have worked in this case. CA already has filed the front sight twice. If you now opened the rear also, the light bars would be very wide. Probably ok and maybe even an advantage for an up close personal protection handgun, but that would really limit the accuracy possible at longer ranges, which is why many choose a 3" barrel to begin with.

In the '80s, I had R. Heinie put his early fixed sights on my 1911. Instantly, I lost target accuracy and never did truly like them. Now, many years later and with older eyes, I kind of really like that sight picture. The Colt series 70's sight came with a pretty narrow sight picture, which with young eyes grouped nicely. R. Heinie's opened them up quite a bit for the IPSC shooting he designed them for.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The Charter 44's are excellent for what they were made for. Have owned several over the years. The one that I have always kept is 2" barrel instead of 3". Cut after I got it to make it easier to pocket. Gun is accurate and dependable. They are not built for Ruger type loads and will not hold up to a steady diet of them. Probably why Charter tells you that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts