Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says.

I'm trying to find out if it would be worth it to reload, if my present situation only calls for 9mm range ammo and possible self defense rounds when/if I became more confident with the craft.

So, considering I could purchase 9mm reloads from freedom for 18.5c/round, how much cheaper could I go with reloading my own? My math from a few quick searches brings me down to 14c/round. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place or maybe that's what it is.

·
Registered
24,800 Posts
About 18 cents per round. Still cheaper than the retail stores.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Using plated bullets at today's high prices you can load 124gr 9mm for 15¢ per round. That is $7.50 for a box of 50. I'll continue to load 9mm. Using lead bullets I am at 9¢ per round or $4.50 per box of 50. This is using free range brass.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I'm at 13.6 cents.
124gr. LRNBB - 8 cents (Blue Boy $40/500 @ LGS)
Primer - 4 cents (Bass Pro ripoff price)
Powder - 3.5gr -1.6 cents (700-X @ $32/pound (7000gr.) Another Bass Pro ripoff price)

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I have been buying my 9mm lately because it is cheap enough I would rather spend my time loading 45.

Reactions: CT.Jer

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
With lead bullets about $5.50/50 if I add in the freight on everything and don't factor in any brass cost. I use a lead 147gr RNFP bullet which costs a bit more.

My cheapest is .380 at $4.50/50. The most expensive is .41 Magnum at $7.50/50. But I only load light to medium loads with lead bullets. I really have no need for anything else.

Here's a calculator for you: http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

This is my bullet guy: http://www.dardascastbullets.com/

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Wow, you all have me beat!!

Primer=3.3 cents
Brass(if not my own or range found)=3cents
Powder=1 cent (I'm lucky as I get 1lb for under $20)
Bullet (xtreme or RMR)=7.8cents (thickly plated from RMR 115gr)

So, 15.1 cents

How do you do 380 so cheap!!!??

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Wow, you all have me beat!!

Primer=3.3 cents
Brass(if not my own or range found)=3cents
Powder=1 cent (I'm lucky as I get 1lb for under $20)
Bullet (xtreme or RMR)=7.8cents (thickly plated from RMR 115gr)

So, 15.1 cents

How do you do 380 so cheap!!!??
Lead bullets and I (like most reloaders) scrounge brass so I don't count brass cost. If I use current pricing it's closer to $5.00/50.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yeah, well I needed a base so I have 2500 or so that I bought and will re-use my own and scrounge from now on.

As far as lead, what does that do to your gun? serious question, does it present any issues different than copper?

·
Registered
29,944 Posts
I haven't cast any bullets since bulk hard cast bullets became fairly reasonably priced. Using Magnus hard cast I can still load for $4.50-$5.00 per box of 50 rounds depending on bullet weight.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
A lot - every month.

$.12 plated
$.23 hot Hornady JHP

my range/competitions rounds are tuned to me, my guns and to meet 'power factor' requirements of competition. Even at the same cost I would not buy factory at this point.

I carry factory SD rounds but keep laying down SD rounds that I have developed - there may be some lawless time where a lot of SD ammo may come in handy. I don't know what that may be but - I can so I do.

And sometimes it is fun to shoot things with hot JHPs, soft point & plastic tipped rifle rounds, 00 buck shot, slugs...
:)

Reactions: darbo and CT.Jer

·
Super Moderator
37,002 Posts
Ironic that you should post this, I've been wondering the same thing over the last few days. It may be a situation like oil. If it's cheaper to buy it in the Middle East and it's readily available, then outsourcing it means that we can save our supply for when either the price spikes or supply weakens. I may sit on my supplies and conserve them for a dry spell.

·
Super Moderator
37,002 Posts
Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
AND I KNOW where I will find ammo on any given day!!! ;)

Reactions: darbo and glenwolde

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Bayou Bullet 135Gr HCL Coated bullet $.07
3.3 grains of TiteGroup ( 28.99/lb) $.014
Winchester Primer (Cabelas) $.033
Brass (free/recycled) $.00

Call it twelve cents each. The 135 Gr Bayou Bullet shoots very similar to a 115gr FMJ in my PT-92.

Reactions: CT.Jer and mingaa

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Yeah, well I needed a base so I have 2500 or so that I bought and will re-use my own and scrounge from now on.

As far as lead, what does that do to your gun? serious question, does it present any issues different than copper?
I shoot nothing but lead. If you head over to the reloading forum there's a good post just put up by Ranch Dog about how Taurus bores are over size, requiring a somewhat larger diameter bullet.

I buy my lead bullets sized .357 instead of the usual .356. I normally don't have any issues with lead. My Taurus 9mm was an exception. Once I switched to the larger bullet the leading and accuracy issues went away. Not that it was terrible to begin with, but it definitely improved.

Shooters like to freak out about leading, but it's no big deal. It usually won't affect accuracy at all and once you learn how to remove it easily if it does show up it's really not an issue.

I buy my bullets from Dardas. They have an option for .357 diameter. I use the 147 gr which shoots a bit higher than the lighter bullets, and gives me the six o'clock hold I'm used too rather than shooting dead on point of aim or a little low with the 115 gr ammo.

The heavier bullet with a lighter load also keeps the velocity down which helps reduce leading issues.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts