Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now How much ammo is enough and why? I've always wondered...If you are caught in a shoot out with somebody usually it is resolved with 10 rds or less. Either you're dead or they are dead. So why thousands of rds?I would like your opinion. Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't think the ammo that everyone is stocking up on is for "the shootout". I have a couple of boxes of the self defense ammo for each of my guns. The majority of my ammo is for practicing. Not sure if this is the best way of thinking or not but if push came to shove, I'm sure I could do damage with practice rounds.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I don't think the ammo that everyone is stocking up on is for "the shootout". I have a couple of boxes of the self defense ammo for each of my guns. The majority of my ammo is for practicing. Not sure if this is the best way of thinking or not but if push came to shove, I'm sure I could do damage with practice rounds.
I'm in the same boat, have more practice ammo than SD. In a pinch, any ammo that will fire is good ammo.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I buy more than I shoot and have for years. The question is easy to address. Practice. Competition (want to shoot an entire season with the same round) - this is true for multiple guns and calibers. Insulation against a fluctuating market (buy low - as low as you can) or other possibly more severe changes. Long shot - radical need for self reliance that could take many forms from natural disaster to - ???

I don't ever HAVE to buy ammo / reloading supplies at a price that I do not like. Over time that allows me to shop on my terms and spend less per round in the long run.

Clear?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Texas = BIG, right!? :)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
As mingaa said, practice. Obviously ammo is in short supply now. I would like to think that it will calm down soon and get back to "normal" prices but what if this.is gonna be the new norm? It is gonna be hard to find anything for a while until manufacturers get caught up. I have an AK that shoots 5.45 and the only ammo for that comes from overseas so if they pass a bill to not allow importing of ammo and guns, I will eventually be screwed. That's why I have over 8k rds for it. It's not reloadable, steel cased. I have a ton of pistol caliber ammo and a lot for my AR. How hard is that to come by now? I do have reloading supplies for all of them so I will have just as much when I reload as I have now. Hunting calipers are different. Only have about 100 rds for each of them. 22lr, we are all screwed untill demand drops. Just a matter of making you feel comfortable

Reactions: piratesailor

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
2 year supply of ammo/reloading supplies is about good. It helps get past times like right now. They money you are not using to buy ammo needs to get stashed to help catch back up when it is available again. As far as daily carry, I like to have 2 mags, just in case.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
How much is enough? This is one of those questions that has no right answer, wrong answer or even an acceptable answer. The only answer I can give is, whatever you are comfortable with!!!

I have a friend who a big time prepper and he must have at least 10K rounds for his AK's as well as thousands of rounds in hunting and pistol calibers. If it really does hit the fan, he's coming to my house. :)

Me?, I can get bye with a lot less. I'm not looking to start a war with the Texas National Guard ... I'd lose, but I have enough to do what I need to do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So how many does she let you store and what is the purpose? Is to shoot as a hobby or self defense or both?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I tend to keep about 300-400 rounds for the range and 100-200 rounds of SD for each of my handguns but because of the inability to pick up range ammo on an "as-needed" basis, I've been loading up more on FMJ.

Yes, in a SD situation outside the home, it'll likely be over in less than 20-30 seconds. But I envision being in a longer duration shoot-out at home with the heavier gear when they come to confiscate. Of course, when they blow up my house, it won't matter.

·
Registered
496 Posts
So how many does she let you store and what is the purpose? Is to shoot as a hobby or self defense or both?
Both. Most of the ammo is target rounds. Now how much do I have. Well due to the governments spying all I can say is it's sealed in PVC pipes with bags of rice. Buried all over GA in the woods along with all the guns I used to own. ;)

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
More is always better! Why? Let me done told you!

1. When ammo is in tight supply, you only stress about where to buy cheap, not just where to buy. You don't begrudge your grandkids coming to visit and shoot your expensive ammo, they just shoot the same cheap ammo you have always bought.

2. Investment: If you always over a number of years bought only good sale items or bought mostly from Walmart and can mostly always get your original investment back.

Metals usually follow C.P.I. prices pretty closely as does normal inflation on ammo. If you have been building a larder for 10 or so years, there is a good chance you could five times your original investment during tight ammo times like the current one if you wanted to sell.

If you needed to raise some money through times like these, a few boxes or a few dozen boxes can be sold to raise cash, and fairly quickly. Common ammo calibers can fetch 2.5-4 times the current Walmart ammo price (4 times if it is .22 cal.)

I am convinced we may be in the new normal regarding ammo availability for a while. As much as we dread them, mass shootings happen a little less than once a year, so it is not a far stretch to think we will eventually see something heavy handed happen to our ammo stream, high taxes, lazer markings, shorter shelf life, registration of ammo or the ban of ammo sales altogether.

The gun and ammo grabbers are always a short way from us, so it isn't all that far fetched to think ammo values and prices can go a lot higher.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Myself, a few boxes for SD and probably about 300 practice rounds.
I just pick it up if i find it cheap, i always check out a walmart if i am in the area.
My Mosin Nagant ( which is finally in the mail, on its way ! ) shoots pretty cheap ammo, so i imagine i will be purchasing more of that over hand gun ammo.
If I had more money, i would imagine i would have more ammo. But at current prices, i am just not interested.

Hmm, now that i think about it, i'm possibly one of the people who are the reason for the shortage - Due to recent events ( non-political actually) i've decided that i would prefer to be armed. So... sorry guys, my bad :p

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Myself, a few boxes for SD and probably about 300 practice rounds.
I just pick it up if i find it cheap, i always check out a walmart if i am in the area.
My Mosin Nagant ( which is finally in the mail, on its way ! ) shoots pretty cheap ammo, so i imagine i will be purchasing more of that over hand gun ammo.
If I had more money, i would imagine i would have more ammo. But at current prices, i am just not interested.

Hmm, now that i think about it, i'm possibly one of the people who are the reason for the shortage - Due to recent events ( non-political actually) i've decided that i would prefer to be armed. So... sorry guys, my bad :p
Mmmmmmm - I'm not getting that from what you say.

When was the last time you cleared a shelf at a store? Needed a hand truck to get your purchase to the car or checked out to the tune of more than 3 figures to the left of the decimal point?!?!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts