Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not interested in how many firearms you have--- that's none of my beeswax... Just curious if you have any you don' t shoot.

How many guns in your collection have you 'yet to' shoot? (But intend to shoot...)

I bought a Mosin M44 rifle a few months ago but I haven't taken it out yet. Just haven't been able to yet...

I don't collect for collection's sake... So I have no safe queens

How about you? Do you intend to shoot all your guns?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I have firearms I bought 36-37 or so years ago that still are unfired. Then I have pistols I shoot 16,000 rds. a year through.

·
Super Moderator
19,746 Posts
I have 5-6 yet to be fired but that’s OK. Would rather have them and not need (to shoot)’em than to want them but not have them. I’m a semi amateur collector and look at firearms as a hobby. They should hold some value over the years and aren’t a perishable investment.

Reactions: Dan51

·
Super Moderator
36,050 Posts
I have some vintage guns that don't get out much but all have been fired by me. I have newer guns that don't get out much and when I think of that it actually inhibits the acquisition of new guns. Outside of the vintage guns, I don't believe in safe queens...I feel that if I have them they should be exercised. I could be at the point of having too many guns and too little time. :(

The times that the most firearms get out for a breath of fresh air are when we have an organized shoot and I load up the Durango with gunz and ammo. We need to do that more.

Reactions: william

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I have 3 that are still covered in cosmoline.
I have an additional 7 firearms that have had less than 50 rounds through them. I have had them all for at least 10 years.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
All of mine have been shot by me!

Maloy

Not interested in how many firearms you have--- that's none of my beeswax... Just curious if you have any you don' t shoot.

How many guns in your collection have you 'yet to' shoot? (But intend to shoot...)

I bought a Mosin M44 rifle a few months ago but I haven't taken it out yet. Just haven't been able to yet...

I don't collect for collection's sake... So I have no safe queens

How about you? Do you intend to shoot all your guns?

·
Registered
14,812 Posts
I have 1, my Henry big boy brass and my Son in law just got the new PT92 in the blue and black scheme. Just waiting on range time for both.

·
Administrator
39,727 Posts
I have four old shotguns I’ve inherited, that date back to around 1900 to the 1930s and 40s. They are very well worn and used. Never shot any of them, though I believe them to be shootable. Probably never will shoot them. Other than those, I shoot all my guns every chance I get.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have a couple I don't shoot very often and one I just don't shoot. The two I don't shoot often were my father-in-law's before he passed which technically makes them my wife's but I don't believe she's ever shot either one. One is a chrome-plated Raven Arms .25. Yeah - don't laugh too hard. :) I do have a a couple of hundred rounds through it and it's never failed to go bang. Go figure.

Raven Arms 25.JPG

The other is an FIE 6-shot gold-tone revolver in .22lr/.22 Mag. I have both cylinders. The front sight needs filed down as it shoots quite low but it works well.

FIE Goldtone.JPG

I just snagged those pics off the internet but it is what mine look like. Anyway, the one I don't shoot is an SKS in 7.62x39. I have way too much money in it but I just don't care for it. I keep threatening to put it up on Armslist but I've just been too lazy. lol I purchased it already bubba'ed in a Tapco stock but I have all the furniture to put it back to 'original' or as original as it can be without the matching numbers. The bolt and receiver and whatnot all match but the furniture wouldn't.

If I want to shoot a rifle I have an AR and Ruger .22. Also a Semi-auto shotgun which is pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have four I bought brand new and have never fired.
A wise Man on this forum once said "If You know how many guns You have then You don't have enough".
I make it a point to not know the exact number or else I would go bankrupt trying to reach the goal of not having an exact number.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I have a couple I don't shoot very often and one I just don't shoot. The two I don't shoot often were my father-in-law's before he passed which technically makes them my wife's but I don't believe she's ever shot either one. One is a chrome-plated Raven Arms .25. Yeah - don't laugh too hard. :) I do have a a couple of hundred rounds through it and it's never failed to go bang. Go figure.

View attachment 450791

The other is an FIE 6-shot gold-tone revolver in .22lr/.22 Mag. I have both cylinders. The front sight needs filed down as it shoots quite low but it works well.

View attachment 450793

I just snagged those pics off the internet but it is what mine look like. Anyway, the one I don't shoot is an SKS in 7.62x39. I have way too much money in it but I just don't care for it. I keep threatening to put it up on Armslist but I've just been too lazy. lol I purchased it already bubba'ed in a Tapco stock but I have all the furniture to put it back to 'original' or as original as it can be without the matching numbers. The bolt and receiver and whatnot all match but the furniture wouldn't.

If I want to shoot a rifle I have an AR and Ruger .22. Also a Semi-auto shotgun which is pretty awesome.

Joe, on the FIE is that a loading gate on the left side?

Don

·
Registered
700 Posts
Joe, on the FIE is that a loading gate on the left side?

Don
No. The loading gate is on the right side. That black lever, which is what I assume you're looking at, is a rudimentary safety. It flips up to block the hammer from hitting the firing pin. It doesn't block the trigger or sear, however. You can still drop the hammer with a pull of the trigger but the hammer will hit that lever instead of the firing pin. Interestingly enough, the firing pin is still exposed. I've never used it. It seems kinda pointless.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
And I thought that I was the only one!

I have probably 3 rifles that I have never shot. I went through a phase where I wanted 2 rifles in every caliber that I shoot so I'd buy a second one, clean it and put it in the safe for back-up. Why? I don't really know but I bet that I had a good reason at the time. :)

Pistols now are something else. When I buy a pistol, I clean and lube it, take it out and put 200 rounds through it and then at least 50 rounds of the ammo that I'm going to use in it. After another cleaning it goes in the safe and it may or may not come out for quite a while. To be honest, I only have four or five guns that I shoot or use on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I don't want any dust bunny queens, just let me have an M-14.
I have a few old family guns that are now collector or well know models. I have had comments made (to sweet) about using them to hunt or plink with.
I don't hunt as much anymore and i have others that i can hunt and plink with But none shoot or fell as good in my hand.
They don't get used as much but i'm going to shoot what i want when i want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a mossberg maverick 88 that I've never shot. It is pretty much just a *HD* gun. I would probably shoot it if I found shooting shotguns much fun but I don't so she stays loaded in the safe :) I've got a couple others that don't see the light of day much. I pretty much only shoot 22s these days because they are just so damn fun and cheap to shoot.

Although side note - I did see that federal came out with some shorty shotgun shells so I am a bit curious how many I could stack in the mossy and if they would cycle properly. Those could be a pretty effective self defense round and if I can load 11 or 12 instead of 7 all the better. May have to take her out in the woods and do some testing :)

·
Super Moderator
36,050 Posts
I've got a mossberg maverick 88 that I've never shot. It is pretty much just a shtf gun. I would probably shoot it if I found shooting shotguns much fun but I don't so she stays loaded in the safe :) I've got a couple others that don't see the light of day much. I pretty much only shoot 22s these days because they are just so damn fun and cheap to shoot.
That's exactly why I held off buying a Maverick 88, or spending the bigger bucks with a Mossberg or similar. I figured that I would never shoot it or have any other use than home defense. I finally got the Maverick when the Filed/Security combo was offered thinking that the longer barrel supplied with the gun would make more sense.

I've still only had it out once in a year to run some 00 buck and slugs to test function. There is only one indoor range that permits that use around here however.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm saving up my money and in the next few years I'm hoping to purchase my first firearm (said in my best Adam Schiff voice with my eyes appropriately bulging.)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Relative question...

If you buy a gun and don't shoot it, how do you know without a doubt that it's going to be functional and reliable?

As for me, I shoot all of my guns. The one I shoot the least is the S&W M&P Pre-Model 10 .38 Special, that I inherited. Really, only because it's mundane to shoot and a sidearm that I will NEVER carry for any purpose. The guns that I have bought that aren't good shooters or malfunction, I quickly lose interest in and trade or sell them. I will not have a gun that won't work, and you can not know that without testing them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts