Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a fellow that told me he never shoots at his home because he doesn't want his neighbors to know he has guns. the more i thought about it, i want them to know what will await them upon a forced entry. but admittedly it might make me a target for someone looking for guns, they will know that i have them. when i shoot on my range at long distances my bench gets quite close to the road(gravel) which lets them actually see what the gun is, on most of my guns that is no big deal, but a varmint/sniper AR w/ a 30 rd mag does kind of stand out, and the chatter of an sks is quite distinct. what's your position on the subject.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I live in town, my neighbors know I have firearms because the see me toting them around everyday. I try NOT to draw to much attention to the fact I have firearms, but do not hide it either. If I lived in the country I would not hesitate to shoot from my home if it was an option, but... I wouldn't try to advertise it either. I shoot alot of "Evil Black Rifles" and I feel there is no reason to tempt fate ;)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I live in a city where shooting even an air-soft gun in the yard is against the law.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
IF I'd shoot at my house I'd have to fix the house afterwards. Plus it wouldn't make me happy with my roommates. :shooter:

And since I live in town, it wouldn't work regardless. If I lived in the country I'd have a personal range for the ease of use. If someone thinks that they can try a forced entry, well, they have to accept the consequences of their actions. And if I'm not home at the time, they'd have a decent sized steel safe to deal with.

Steelheart

·
Registered
625 Posts
I live on a couple of acres in the "country" but there are enough houses around where I don't feel safe trying to shoot in my yard. I am planning to join a local outdoor range this summer. The indoor range where I shoot is charging nearly $20 a range session and that's just a little too expensive for my tastes.

Todd

·
Registered
21 Posts
I shoot regularly behind my house in the woods. We have a good bit of land and hardly any neighbors. I've setup a big pile of brush, trees, etc as a makeshift bullet stop so I don't fire too much lead where it doesn't need to go haha. Plan on setting up some posts or something to hang targets on, or possibly buy a few of those metal spinning targets to set up in the area for practice.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I used to be able to shoot at my folks' place in an old corral where Union Troops stayed during the Battle of Glorieta (the farthest West the Civil War went). But now there are too many Santa Fean Crunchy, Rainbow Tribe, grass roots-urban-professionals that have transplanted there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I shoot at (very near) my home all the time. I'm not the least bit worried about who knows I have guns... I'd be an outcast if I didn't have any. ;)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
My situation is similar to BMG55. I also shoot very near where I live, in a wooded area surrounded by many trees off to one side and a sand pit off to the other.

My neighbors all know I have guns. Most of them have them too. That's Kentucky for ya. :D

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I wish I could and would if I could. I live in the city as well. I did shoot an armadillo in the yard a couple of weeks ago with a 22 pistol. The neighbors said they never heard it though.

·
Super Moderator
35,009 Posts
I live on the edge of town and there's a big corn field behind me. I set up and air gun range. No big guns in town, though. My gun club costs me 30 bucks a year, 25, 50, 100, 200 yard ranges, covered shooting areas with bench rest compeition quality tables, really nice! It's only about 10 minutes from my house even with the stop at the police station to pick up the key. I don't get out there often enough, though.

Hey, in Texas, you're odd if you DON'T own guns. ;D

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I used to shoot nearly every day. Now it's a few times a week.
chewybaca said:
I used to be able to shoot at my folks' place in an old corral where Union Troops stayed during the Battle of Glorieta (the farthest West the Civil War went). But now there are too many Santa Fean Crunchy, Rainbow Tribe, grass roots-urban-professionals that have transplanted there.
Is it still legal? If not, that sucks. If so, be sure of your back stop and have fun! This is America you know.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
True ... If it becomes federal that we can't have guns, Texas will prolly become it's own country. :D Don't take our guns!

BD, there is a nice rang between Kilgore and Longview. 2 pistol ranges, 3 rifle ranges and a shotgun range up on the hill. It would be about a 40-45 minute drive for you unles you are on the other side of Tyler. It's 50 bucks a year and a required NRA membership. All in all, the first time is about $120 for the first year including the NRA membership, club dues, and a one time initiation fee. PM me if you want more info. I'll gladly divulge contact information. Anyone else too if they are looking for something in the Longview area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think my yard is about the same square footage as my house. Its in a trailer park so neighbors are extremely close. I honestly think the shells would hit the neighbors house while on the way to the ground.

But here is something you guys might consider strange. The "range" where my parents live and where I grew up. Is what most of you would consider a home range. Nobody there to supervise anything. The "range master" is rarely there on weekends, he's about 93 years old. But yeah you can do what ever you want down there, as long as you are by yourself.

Nate

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's a dream come true. To be able to step out the back door and rip off a few rounds. Unfortunately my dream is having to go to the local outdoor range to shoot.Not a bad range at all. The dues are only $60 a year.There are also plenty of BLM land to shoot on as well.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Flyer, I've checked into that range. It's a good setup. A friend of mine was a member for a while and I shot there a couple of times. The closes range to me that takes memberships cots $125/year. There is one that is closer, but it only has a pistol range, and I would need a rifle range too. I'm still weighing my options, but I may be joining SOMEWHERE within the next few weeks.

Todd

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in the residential community with a lot of families around. I try not to draw too much attention to myself since there are also a lot of teenagers around and a house with firearms is awfully tempting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
New guy here. Just joined yesterday. In reply to your question "how many shoot regularly at their home." I live out in the country. We have 3+ acres. Three years ago, my sons & I built a 50 yd. pistol only range out behind our rear deck. We only have to walk down from the back door about 80 yds. and we are at the backstop. We regularly shoot there every Sunday afternoon. We all love the convienence of it, AND really enjoy the companionship and the fun of shooting the pistols together. Incidentially, my youngest son is over in IRAQ right now. Am very proud of him. He had great fun shooting with us, whenever he was home. Nothing can beat a range at your home! ;D ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
With the explosion of people in this country its getting hard to find places outdoors to shoot.
There is a place about 5 miles from where I live that I shoot sometimes. Its actually someones private property. Ive shot there a few times and no one has ever told me to leave. Its heavily forested and there is a backstop where other people have shot as well.
I occasionally shoot at a indoor range......its ok but I really don't like being around multiple people firing.
Having the ability to practice shoot on your own property would be great and very convenient.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Flyer said:
I did shoot an armadillo in the yard a couple of weeks ago with a 22 pistol. The neighbors said they never heard it though.
That's because armadillos are very quiet animals.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts