Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
My training instructor said to empty gun at BG(s) all the way down to floor and to reload (new magazine in) ready to go again if needed (that would be 28 rds. currently - 15 w/HD weapon and 13 w/CCW - both at bedside) - this is home. Out and about, currently 13 in CCW w/12-rd and 17 rd. carried spare magazines.

Reactions: charliemike

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
After reading through all these well thought out and reasoned responses, I can't remember what the OPs original question was! Oh, how many rounds to stop a threat...right. I don't know and hope I never do. I just hope that my practice and training are enough to keep me alive to hopefully never fight another day. By the way, I love reading threads like this because it gives me something else to think about/ponder (no sarcasm here, btw).

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
My training instructor said to empty gun at BG(s) all the way down to floor and to reload (new magazine in) ready to go again if needed (that would be 28 rds. currently - 15 w/HD weapon and 13 w/CCW - both at bedside) - this is home. Out and about, currently 13 in CCW w/12-rd and 17 rd. carried spare magazines.
Yep - neutralize the threat. If BG was armed and his weapon is anywhere near him - safely move it away. Heck, if I was bleeding out in a pool of my own blood about to check out I'd use my last ounce of strength and resolve to pick up a weapon and take one last crack at you. Crazier things have been known to happen!!!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
After reading through all these well thought out and reasoned responses, I can't remember what the OPs original question was! Oh, how many rounds to stop a threat...right. I don't know and hope I never do. I just hope that my practice and training are enough to keep me alive to hopefully never fight another day. By the way, I love reading threads like this because it gives me something else to think about/ponder (no sarcasm here, btw).
you got it right.. Just wanted to start the thought process around this topic. Smart people and good comments.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
After reading the thread and great comments, along with the training and experiences I've had, I'm going to keep the extra mag with me. I carry a 9mm for many reasons and maybe a 45 or 40 has more punch.. But I hope to never find out.

I'm reading a book related to the topic of human psychology in these situations. Interesting.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
How many rounds?

Depends.

I've seen one-shot stops(not much survives a point-blank discharge of a 12GA with 00 Buck), and I've seen guys take multiple rounds and still make it to the ER. When the adrenaline is pumping, the human body does funky things. Add a high potency drug to the mix(meth or opiates), and you have a recipe for disaster.

When I took training from a LEO instructor, it was "two to the chest, one to the head, evaluate, repeat until threat is neutralized".

·
Registered
27,818 Posts
People have died after a single hit from a .22, others have lived after multiple hits with a rifle.
There is no answer other than "it takes what it takes".

Train to continue shooting until the threat is neutralized.

Reactions: Marinevietvet

·
Registered
751 Posts
Nobody is going to keep coming at you with a single clean shot to the heart or the brain for that matter. How many shots really depends on placement and penetration. I guess 8 makes sense if you're doing a bunch of random placements.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Nobody is going to keep coming at you with a single clean shot to the heart or the brain for that matter. How many shots really depends on placement and penetration. I guess 8 makes sense if you're doing a bunch of random placements.
Whole different ball game when the target is chucking lead back at you.

Reactions: piratesailor

·
Registered
29,958 Posts
I have to raise the "B.S." flag :icon_ nono: on anyone who stands pat of selecting the "number of rounds it takes to stop a threat".

:r_c: There are just too many variables involved in shootings to factor into the equation; "some" of which are...

1. The caliber used
2. The style/weight of bullet
3. Bullets velocity
4. Whether or not a vital organ hit
5. Whether or not the central nervous system is hit
6. Whether or not a major bone structure is hit (pelvis, femur etc.)
7. Size/weight of shootee
5. Physical condition of shootee
6. Sobriety of shootee
7. Clothing or lack thereof worn by shootee
Ad nauseaum...

For every story of a shootee dropping like a rock with a peripheral hit, you'll find it's opposite, with a person taking 6 or more hits and staying upright continuing to be combative.

·
Registered
197 Posts
U ask me why I fired 30 rounds in to BG ill tell you because I didn't have 31 :)

Reactions: Wino

·
Registered
570 Posts
It has been said to death, "you shoot until there is no longer a threat." Trying to put a number on it is futile. The caliber thing is silly too, the US Military uses a varmint round for Gods sake. How effective have we proved that to be? Understand your target, train hard, and shoot until the threat is gone.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wonder how many people here have killed a large animal. Watched them drop like a rock with that one good shot. We're no different. Placement matters but as said already the only correct plan in this scenario is to shoot till the threat is neutralized. Shoot a deer in the lung and it can keep running a long time. This is where the 8 shot stat can work. It absolutely doesn't work when blood shoots like a geyser out of an entry hole to the heart. Make that shot and it won't matter how big or geaked out someone is. Miss that shot then just keep shooting.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts