Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious: how many rounds do you like to put through a new firearm before you consider it broken in and will use it for CCW? Thanx in advance! :)

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
Depends on the gun. Some I have put 500 rounds down the pipe. My newest one seems to be good with about 50.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
When the gun proves to reliably feed and eject, and you are comfortable it will operate as advertised when needed.....I feel comfortable after a couple hundred rounds IF it has been flawless.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine had a couple issues at first and I had them taken care of and put 150 rounds through it after that flawlessly. I know the guns action and behavior well enough from lots of action with snap caps and empty training that I trust mine now to be my EDC. Total round count is around 230. YMMV I would reiterate what others here have said. once you're comfortable with it and have seen that it will reliably feed, eject, and fire you're good to go.

[NOTE] Its worth noting that I have manually cycled at least 500 training rounds through mine making sure that it would reliably feed/eject.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
My TCP 738 I ran around 400 rounds, only had a few feed issues in the first 100. I found keeping it clean every 50 rounds helped with the feeding issue. Trigger pull also took a little getting used as well as the sight picture. I now feel very comfortable with point shooting it out to 7 yards.

My PT-145 never had a hiccup and I had no problems hitting center mass from round one. I felt comfotable with it after 200 rounds. This pistol just feels natural in my hands.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
Count me in on the 200 to 250 round gang. I know my 24/7 G2C 40 really came to life after a box of 250.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Id say when you are comfortable and confident with it. Whether thats 50 rounds or a 1000. When you are ready to put your life in its hands then its ready.

·
Administrator
40,270 Posts
500 rounds works for me. But then again, I'm a reloader in this day and age.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have about 800 through my PT1911, my Smith Model 28 is from the 60s if I remember right and barely has a finish left (if that ain't broke in, I don't know what is), and my USPc I've only put 8 rounds through (should have bought more ammo instead of another gun) but it was used so there's no telling how much its been shot, but there's some wear on the magazine, so I know it was at least loaded and unloaded alot. Now if only I would get my license in, the wait is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The older conventional wisdom was 300 flawless rounds. Then, you were also supposed to then fire 200 rounds of your carry ammo without a failure. This supposedly "proved" that both the gun, and the gun/ammo combination worked.

I usually clean and lube the gun, fire three boxes for break-in, and clean and lube the gun. Second trip puts three boxes of carry ammo through it. No problems, good to go. Clean and lube, and carry away. Some guns will require more rounds to smooth out. A lot of that can be avoided by examining the gun prior to purchase, for obvious errors. :)

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
Have you got it figured out yet?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
About 300 rounds here. If there are any minor issues, such as FTE, I'll go to about 500-600rnds before being overly concerned. For semi-auto's,
I also like to run a few boxes of something similar to what I'll be carrying through it before I trust it fully.

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Well, I think it has been well covered here. I think the reigning and conventional wisdom is that you need to feel reasonably comfortable with the firearm's performance with the style of carry (Open vs closed), holster choice and ammo choice (whichever brand works consistently) in your carry weapon. This will differ for revolvers and semi-automatics and from brand to brand of ammo and holstering. If you have a gun that shoots and feeds consistently well but you cannot draw it effectively to bring it into play, for instance, - you might as well be unarmed. Have you ever asked yourself how many carries and draws are necessary for your holster to be "broken in"? How many successful safe and consistent and on target draws until your draw is "broken in"?

So, do yourself a favor and don't get all hung up only on assuring proper break in of the gun - yes, its important - but, everything has to work in harmony to be successful.

And, so as to avoid coming across as preachy, I would agree that 200-500 is the average "break in" count for most brand new guns (your users manual should have recommendations to this effect); if you have acquired a used firearm, may not be as many but you need to make sure all the components are in good working order before carrying.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
It depends on the particular semiauto.

I've had some break in well at the 200 round mark, and others I would not stake my life on till they hit the 500 round mark.

:r_c: In today's economy with the current ammo availability/pricing issues, it's even more of a problem for the new gun owner.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Every pistol is diferent my p22 walther took 500 rounds of differnt 22lr after last 200 of cci it has became my bug gun my 1911 ss 9m lesss than 100 RNd became my got to ccw
my wife had fired 50 shots thru citadell compact 9mm 1911 til she felt comforable with it i had shot a box of 100 rnds thru before gave to her she has gsg 922 compact 1911 22lr shot over 1000 rds of 22 weighted and works just like her 9mm so did not take long for her to adjust

jhp

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I've bought new guns that never really needed breaking-in. One was my PT145. You just never really know so I always figure in the cost of break-in ammo when I buy new gun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like others have said, its not a ammo number, but instead a confidence. That could be 50 or 500. For me, it was around 250.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts