Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to get a 605 ss.... Before I ever really shoot it (I'll test fire 50 rnds for function) I expect I'll do a light trigger polish, springs, Hogue grips, and bob the hammer.....

I will be practicing alot (Mostly .38 Sp. but some .357 MAG) with it while my wife learns to shoot her LCR well. I'll probably shoot 100-200 rnds. a week at least.

Do I need to worry about wearing the gun out after 5000 rounds or so? I know there is a lifetime warr., but I don't want to send it in exery 6 months to be gone over.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Nope

We've got S&W K-framed training revolvers at our academy with 40-50,000 rounds of .38 special through them.

They just get slicker with use.

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Check it out thoroughly before taking delivery of it. Be sure the trigger pull is smooth, the cylinder travel is correct, and everything else you would check out to be sure a revolver is in proper working condition.

Normally you would not have to worry about repairs needing to be done at any particular round count. Things do wear out, and of course if you shoot full power 357 mag loads, things will wear out even quicker. But I see no reason that you can't get many times 5,000 rounds through a good Taurus revolver.

Reactions: whodog

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
;) Sweet.

Is it really fair to compare a S&W k frame to an itty bitty Taurus snub? Are the parts quality comparable? I hear that Taurus is good, but some of the parts might be just a tad weaker.

And OOH YES! I'll check it out thoroughly before I put the $$$ down. even though I"m buying new.

Thanks alot for your info and help guys. I can assume by your post count that you might have handled a Taurus or 2.....lol

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
The 605 is actually built on the smaller model 85 Taurus frame, which makes it comparable to a J frame S&W, roughly. I would compare it to the J frame Smiths that they make 357 magnums for. And personally, I think the Taurus is every bit as good as one of those. YMMV.

·
Registered
591 Posts
it it shoots have fun while it lasts, you can always repair it, dont worry it should last, plenty of love, care and cleaning

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will. I always COMPLETELY disassemble my carry gun (As far as I can) after going to the range and clean it very well. After I research the preferred lubing technique and lube to use I"ll follow those instructions to a T.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would be really surprised if your gun was destroyed after only 5k rounds. There's going to be some maintenance issues along the way and depending on what you're shooting the timing may need to be adjusted. Shouldn't be a big deal though, and I hear taurus is really good about their warrant service.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
With standard pressure .38 loads and "normal usage" you shouldn't have any wear or timing problems.

By normal usage I mean 50-150 rounds slow fire/timed fire that the average person engages in during casual range or plinking sessions.

When you get into the "high-volume-rapid-fire-competition" mode (highly unlikely with a J-framed size gun) then wear accelerates and timing issues "may" arise.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be doing mostly triple tap drills in practice. Draw, 3 quick bangs, then re-holster. I usually do that about 20-25 times per range session. Then I also do 7 yard slow fire drills for a box or two. It seems to keep me fresh and fluid with my SD weapon system.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
You mentioned doing a trigger job right off the bat. You also mentioned that you are going to shoot about 100-200 rounds per week when you get it.

My suggestion would be to shoot about a thousand rounds through it and then see if you even want to do a trigger job. They do tend to wear in after a few hundred rounds. My trigger pull (605SS) has improved over time. I wouldn't recommend lightening the trigger too much on a carry revolver. Given the gun, and your intended practice regimen, I doubt you are buying it for target duty or plinking only. Do what you want. Just my .02.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I've had my 605SS for years. No idea how many rounds through it since I don't count them, but it's a lot. It still shoots like it's new. I think I'd want to put several thousand rounds through it before making any modifications. You might find that you really don't need any. The only thing I've done to mine is Hogue grips, and it shoots just fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very true, I may be putting the cart before the horse.

I don't really know if what I do qualifies as a "trigger job". I just smooth all of the obvious friction points on anything I buy after I know it's reliable, then I have a tendency to shoot the piss out of 'em. Maybe the springs won't be needed, I"m just going on what I felt between the 605 and S&W 642's trigger in the store. I got to dry fire both (with caps) and the Taurus was alot heavier.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
It's not a stretch to compare Taurus revolvers to S&W revolvers, they had a big exchange in info between the two companies in the late 70's to early 80's (pre 1984). Even today Taurus makes parts for other gun makers, and it's resonable to guess S&W would be one of them. Neither company will confirm or deny their relationship, but it wouldn't surprise me if a few frames and other parts are cast for them.

As far as the life expectancy, that's usually a problem developed by the user moreso than the gun itself. If a firearm is cared for properly, checked for any possible problems regularly, and the correct ammo is used consistantly (as in not using extra "hot" loads all the time) the gun should provide you with tons of shooting joy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a polished 605 factory ported model that I bought as a present to myself about 9 years ago. It has about 600 rounds of Speer 180 gr. flat points and other heavy .357 rounds through it. It is still super tight. I decided I didn't want to have to grind down the front sight since it shot to POA beautifully with many 158gr. .38 Special loads. Typical .357 125gr. loads shoot very low out of mine and I live where the black bears knock over my trashcans like hoodlums, so 180gr. loads it is. Yes, a snubnose is less than ideal for said gangster bears but beats a big stick by a clear margin. If I can and time permits, I’ll grab something better, when they decide to do a home invasion.

This 605 was my introduction to Taurus (other than an overwhelmingly ugly but respectably accurate older unknown .357 owned by my brother-in-law). I wasn’t really looking for anything that day. The smith at my LGS who was working the counter that day told me to close my eyes and do a double action and a single action pull on this gun, I did and walked out of the shop that day with my wallet a bit thinner. Since then I have had about half a dozen shocked Smith owners drop the hammer on mine. They are consistently slack-jawed after the experience. If I ever do wear that little revolver out I'll just go get another, do a poor man's trigger job on it - IF NEEDED- and be happy.

The point of my post is that the trigger potential of the 605 is exceptionally good. I sincerely doubt I got a magical 605. The double action pull on mine has gotten a bit better with time. Single action remains as good as any Smith I have ever owned or handled. While every gun is a law unto itself, mine has been completely reliable and remained tight with a decent diet of heavier than average loads. I expect the OP will be fine.

·
Registered
773 Posts
same here, We have around 120 S&W model 66 with 4" barrels. They get around 1,000 rounds through each of them a week at our academy. Every so often one of them needs a little TLC but not very often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts