Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many more semi auto battle rifles are in the hands of the American Public today than four years ago. It may turn out that George W. Bush's greatest accomplishment in his Presidency was the allowing of the Clinton Assault weapon ban to sunset.

We have always been a nation of armed people, and the "Behind every blade of grass" has always held true, but most likely not as much ever as today. Our country as individual firearm owners has most likely never been as well armed for personal weapons as we are today. No government on the face of this earth, even our own can deny this.

We are the last vestige of hope for not losing the way of life our forefathers intended for us to have in this noble experiment.

Do your patriotic duty, buy a firearm!

·
10,379 Posts
Heh, I remember a while back someone on another forum was talking about how many people owned firearms per state. WI ended up being one of the highest just because of our hunting seasons.

I'd love to have an EBR (Evil Black Rifle), and I keep telling myself I'm going to get one but reality has a tendency of stepping in and kicking my butt. This year's EBR money went to a meat grinder, food dehydrator, new smoker, cookbooks, and getting my truck serviced (2 drive shaft seals, u-joints, lights, brakes, and plugs takes a lot outta the "oh chit" money).

Got just enough left for summer clothes for the chitlens and some new fruit trees to (finally!) start my orchard.

Where can I drop my "adult card" off at? This bein' responsible with my money crap sucks<g>.

I *am* however going to get me one of those new 24/7Cs this year yet, it's not a good year unless I add at least one firearm to the stable.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
The numbers are moderated by the question of how many buyers are owners of multiple guns. I have over a dozen (the vast majority are .22s; so I'm a rimfire freak :tongue:) and just last month I bought my first M4gery, mostly because I didn't have one and I felt it was about time I owned a Modern Sporting Rifle. :rolleyes:;) Still, it's encouraging to see those numbers going up. I do wonder, though, how many of those are bought by people who've never held a gun in their lives and think they're now Clint Eastwood.

Against that, let's remember what a couple of our arrogant leaders have said, to wit, P0TUS: "I prefer to work under the radar;" and the lovely Dianne Feinstein*: "If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them . . . Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here." Let's also remember we're one Supreme Court Justice away from having everything we've won the last few years taken away from us. (That, I think, is Obama's "under the radar" work he's looking forward to.)

*IIRC, the hypocritical Mrs. Feinstein has a California concealed carry permit.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
The Right (already there, not given) of the people (us) to Keep and Bear (to have and actually hold) Arms (Weapons, not just firearms) Shall ( not may) Not ( no,no,no) be Infringed ( to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another)

Is this not clear? I don't understand....

·
Registered
31,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whichfinger, your point is well taken about multiple firearm ownership. That being said, I myself have watched an amazing transformation of folks who would not have never given a thought as to owning a handgun, shotgun or rifle in the past, become rabid gun owners over the past three years.

These are folks who are not conspiracy theorist like yours truly. To a man or woman, they just want to be able to protect themselves from everyday occurrences in our changing world, and most have seen it changing for the worst as time goes on.

This was not the "Change" they had hoped for (familiar words?).

Still, these I know are mostly baby boomers, maybe it's as much getting older as anything and feeling less invincible as they felt in younger years.

In any event, I feel our populace is more armed than at any time in the history of our nation. Still, our populace is the most unequal as to the opposing the arms of the Federal Govt. ever.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I know I keep doing my part as often as I can afford to and not go broke. I figure I live on a small block and even if I had to hand out a .22LR like my Henry, if it came down to a disaster, we would all be armed. And I'm not the only gun owner...

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
As long as they keep making them -- and at good prices, people will keep buying them. And if it's patriotic to do so, I can always add another firearm to the safe!

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I bought a new firearm today, as you suggested ... MY WIFE MADE ME DO IT!

Do your patriotic duty, buy a firearm!
I did - TODAY! I dragged my wife of almost 39 years screaming and kicking (not really) to my favorite Dallas area police supply store, as we were driving right by it anyway ...
I had to stop in, as it pulls me in like a fly to light!

I was not really looking for anything special (yeah, right), and moseyed over to the new and used firearms department. They had dozens of police trade in Glocks at decent prices, and a few used SIG's that were very interesting and priced very reasonably. In the back of my mind was that if they had another Ruger SR1911, it would be nice to keep my other 1911's company (Ruger SR1911, Taurus PT1911, and a variety of Colt and GI Remington Rand models in the gun safe). I looked at the long guns on the wall, the used police rifles and used Remington 870's on the floor racks, but I kept drifting back to the new handgun showcases. As far as the Taurus models on display, PT740, PT709, and PT1911 autos, plus a variety of revolvers including Judges, I kept drifting back to a Ruger KSR40C in Stainless that I had almost purchased during previous visits. I noticed that most of the Ruger slots were empty, and the salesman said that Ruger's had become scarce as the demand for them has soared. No SR1911's in stock (they all sold out the day they came in), no LC9's (I was wearing an LC9 in my Desantis Super Tuck II, with my PT740 in a Remora locked in the car gun safe), and only a few LCP's, an SR9, and the lonely KSR40C. The salesman took the KSR40C out of the case, checked it, locked back the slide, and handed it to me.

My wife said those golden words, "You have a birthday coming up - would you like that for your birthday present?" Sheepishly, I said OK, and the rep went to the back to get one in the box, but alas, there were none except the display model, but they did have the box and all of the contents. I gave him my driver's licence, my and police ID, did the online digital 4473 and instant background check, and he rang it up at the Ruger LE price (about 1/3 off retail). If my wife had not pressured me into buying it with her birthday ploy, I might have left empty handed!

Just as she has to buy matching shoes when she buys a new purse, I had to wander over to the ammo shelves to purchase some matching .40 cal (and a few .45 to boot). I already have an adequate supply of .40 that I have used exclusively for my PT640 and PT740 pistols, but a few new boxes wouldn't hurt. Sadly, I have never seen the ammo shelves in that store as bare as they were today! My favorite Federal HST loads were unavailable in 9, .40, and .45 so I had to buy the older hydroshocks instead (the +P in .45). Most of the shelves were empty of pistol ammo; I asked my sales rep if he had any Federal HST, Hornady TAP-CQ Short Barrel, or Speer Short Barrel loads (for the PT709 and PT740) in the back, and he said that everything he had was on the shelves, as the supply of ammo had dramatically tightened over the past few weeks, and several of their regular orders were now on backorder, or cancelled by the manufacturers! The only ammo that was in abundance, in cases of 500 and in sealed ammo cans was 5.56, in a variety of loads. They had a pallet load of sealed ammo cans of the Federal 5.56 in stripper clips for the best price that I have seen recently, as well as a 1/2 pallet of the green-tip 5.56 in cases of 500. He said that since the military slow down in the mideast, the 5.56 makers are dumping their now excess inventory. I was tempted to pick up an ammo can of the Federal 5.56 in stripper clips, but I noticed in my wife's non-verbal communications that her benevolence was being stretched.

Maybe those 5.56 ammo cans will still be there the next time that I wander by ... without my wife! (Please do NOT tell her).

UPDATE; The new Ruger KSR40C fits the same Remora and DeSantis Tuck This II holsters as my PT640 Pro and PT145 MilPro, so I won't have to burden my wife's sensibilities with a bevy of new holsters!

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
The Right (already there, not given) of the people (us) to Keep and Bear (to have and actually hold) Arms (Weapons, not just firearms) Shall ( not may) Not ( no,no,no) be Infringed ( to encroach upon in a way that violates law or the rights of another)

Is this not clear? I don't understand....

Please do not try to infuse logic into the liberal argument. It only frustrates the left. ;D

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I look at as owning physical shares or stock, instead of piece of paper sitting in a bank this is something that will:

1. Maintain its value.
2. As demand grows increase in long-term value.
3. Can be traded instantly for cash or the goods with-out calling your stock broker.

Since I already own fire-arms any kind of restrictive ban will have little concern unless Uncle Sam writes me a check for my property. And it will increase the value of what I do have, just like when two companies merge and my stock splits. Gonna be a big payday if that happens.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
An armed society is a polite society.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Whichfinger, your point is well taken about multiple firearm ownership. That being said, I myself have watched an amazing transformation of folks who would not have never given a thought as to owning a handgun, shotgun or rifle in the past, become rabid gun owners over the past three years.

These are folks who are not conspiracy theorist like yours truly. To a man or woman, they just want to be able to protect themselves from everyday occurrences in our changing world, and most have seen it changing for the worst as time goes on.

This was not the "Change" they had hoped for (familiar words?).

Still, these I know are mostly baby boomers, maybe it's as much getting older as anything and feeling less invincible as they felt in younger years.

In any event, I feel our populace is more armed than at any time in the history of our nation. Still, our populace is the most unequal as to the opposing the arms of the Federal Govt. ever.
Can't argue with that, but ... those are exactly the people that worry me. If they've enrolled in training, fine, but (again) ... I wonder how many buy a gun, a box of ammo, and stick it in a drawer or closet when they get home and never bother with any kind of formal training. These are the people who shoot off their own thumbs, giving the rest of us a bad name, or shoot their spouses while "practicing" with a loaded gun, giving the rest of us a bad name. And the thought of one of those gun owners in the lane beside me keeps my head swiveling so much I get dizzy. :blink:;)

·
Registered
31,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, one of those gun owners I talk about who recently rejoined the ranks used to carry a Tommy Gun in Viet Nam, so I think he will be good to go. Not sure about his wife! His mother in law at age 84 has her chl.

I know what you mean about those who never practice, I've seen them also.

Still, all in all, folks buying guns is just a great demonstration that a lot more of us are bitterly clinging to our guns.

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
Don't know how many have been sold.

But I predict it'll triple by November...and...

If Yomama stays in office, it'll quadruple again BEFORE December 31st.

·
Registered
31,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, in any event, if the SHTF the end of this year, it should be a real donnybrook, I've never seen so many well armed Americans since the movie "To Hell and Back!"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts