Taurus Firearm Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
I use an LCP, with one in the pipe and an extra mag in my front left pocket and an extra pair of underwear in the car.:)

Reactions: Go99

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
How many of you carry extra mags when you are carrying concealed and if so where do you keep them? I am asking b/c I have the 2 magazines the gun came with; they are 12 rnd double stack .45acp. I have a mag pouch that holds 2 clips, but am planning to buy another one after Christmas. That way I have my pouch with 2 magazines and one in the gun. It seems to me though that is a bit of over-kill...36 rds. I am looking for opinions from you experts because I figure if I need more than 12 rounds I am pretty screwed anyway lol. If you do carry more than the magazine in the gun, where do you carry it (them)?
I carry 1 spare mag when using a semi auto for concealed carry. The round count is immaterial. If I can't get it clear of a threat with 2 mag's worth, I need a long gun (and back up-with long guns!) not another pistol mag. I just don't trust ANY single mag enough to bet my life on it working.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Just the latest issue of Playboy!:)

I always have five extra mags for my 1911 in my truck console and the wife has three extra quick strips in her console for her model 85. I figure we can fight our way to our cars if accosted in a parking lot. Actually, 5 extra mags is overkill for the 1911, I'm not taking on any cartels! If I'm down on a ranch, I'll have one extra mag for the 1911 and the Mule will have a M-4 with a fresh 30 round mag....no I don't have a ranch, but have four friends who do! Best way to ranch, just go and visit and not have to do maintenance or pay the taxes! All I have to do is be a nice guy and not argue...too much! They are all conservatives, so there isn't much to argue about.other than what is the best Scotch or Whiskey (also theirs so I don't argue).
Jake, if I bring the Scotch will you introduce me to your ranch friends?? :D

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I carry one extra mag for my PT145. The main reason is that the most common failure in a handgun is associated with the magazine. Don't care how many rounds you have, if they don't feed, the gun makes a hell of a club. Most SD shooting situations are finished in 2-3 rounds. I carry an extra mag to make sure I can get the minimum number of rounds on target.

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
532 Posts
One spare magazine, and, usually, one spare gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Usually only 1 extra

Like the other folks mentioned. I don't trust magazines. I carry with a Kimber Tac mag an an oem for backup. If do get any bad magazines, I just mark em and only use them for range day.

When i carry my TCP I just stick one extra mag in my back pocket.

So far, have not had to do anything more than display (bad guys turned around so fast I would only have been able to shoot them in the back...not gonna do that). Hope I never have to find out if I carry enough bullets.

·
Registered
337 Posts
one extra for the PT140 (9) not 10
one extra for the PF9 (7) plus extra loose rounds in folding knife sheath to keep lint out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I carry a extra 14 round mag for my .40 cal Browning in my car. Every time I go to Philadelphia, PA, I carry a mag in my pocket also.

·
Registered
205 Posts
call me paranoid, but i carry 3, 17 round 9mm mags for my 24/7 pro ds 4in. mag in the gun, the pipe, and 1 spare are remington 115gr JHP and the 3rd mag is 115gr remington FMJ. all are the green/white box. cant remember what they are specifically. both the fmj and jhp shoot the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interesting discussion. I have a two mag holster That I keep filled. I am still new to this gun stuff, but I found I needed a good belt to carry the weight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some of these discussions can have a true right or wrong answer, or at least a more correct than the other answer. In this case, I think it really is just a matter of opinion. When it stops becoming a matter of opinion is when you start getting into very specific circumstances like carrying a 1911 Officer in a law enforcement capacity. In that case, you need extra mags.

I've got 7+1 in my Kahr K9 which I believe is enough to get me safely from work to my home with a stop at the gas station. In a self defense scenario the purpose of that gun is solely to get me and my family, or those I'm responsible for, to safety. If I lived in a big city, or spent a lot of time in areas less secure than my rural home and secured business I might be inclined to carry additional magazines. I carry plenty in my pockets already, and the K9 is no featherweight so finding space and supporting the weight for an extra magazine isn't worth the hassle to me. But like I said, in this case...this is purely my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
19,636 Posts
call me paranoid, but i carry 3, 17 round 9mm mags for my 24/7 pro ds 4in. mag in the gun, the pipe, and 1 spare are remington 115gr JHP and the 3rd mag is 115gr remington FMJ. all are the green/white box. cant remember what they are specifically. both the fmj and jhp shoot the same.
Hi, "paranoid", d here . . .

You can be my wing man any day . . . . .

I carry an extra 10 rd mag for my 145 in an old leather Buck knife belt sheath which has a fold over snap cover. When I carry the 140, I use the knife sheath for its mag. I used to carry my LCP - pocket carry - as as BUG when I didn't carry an extra mag for the MilPros. If I'm going into the ATL, or any other potentially rough areas, I may slip the LCP in even while packin' one of the MilPros with an extra mag. I also keep extra loaded mags as well as a couple extra boxes of ammo for each carry gun I have in a small shoulder bag under the back seat of whatever vehicle I'm in for that day. I use the CB Minituck for IWB and used to feel conspicuous with all the gear hanging on my belt in plain view but, as several have already pointed out in this and other threads, nobody seems to give me any second glances b/c they aren't paying attention to their surroundings and they are so desensitized to seeing belt gear with all the electronic devices available for use today.

One more thing, and this is just me, when I IWB I do it at 4:00 on right hip but with the mag pouch at same position (8:00) on left hip. But when I OC with my Uncle Mike's holster I carry the mag pouch abutting the holster (just rear of it) on the right side. This is b/c the IWB holster is NOT visible (only the belt clips are but nearly invisible) and my shirt/sweater, etc. rarely rides up high enough to expose the grip sticking out the waist band and the iPhone looks natural hanging at 3:00 on the right. When I use the Uncle Mike's, I carry the iPhone, holster and mag pouch all lined up around the curvature of my right waist/hip but since all are black in color and the iPhone and mag pouch have "boxy" edges/look, it looks like I'm wearing a smartphone of some type horizontally. Even when folks know I'm carrying and I intentionally flash my right waist, NO ONE has ever picked up the gun in the middle of the pack. As I've used the phrase before, 'hiding in plain sight'.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts