Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you carry extra mags when you are carrying concealed and if so where do you keep them? I am asking b/c I have the 2 magazines the gun came with; they are 12 rnd double stack .45acp. I have a mag pouch that holds 2 clips, but am planning to buy another one after Christmas. That way I have my pouch with 2 magazines and one in the gun. It seems to me though that is a bit of over-kill...36 rds. I am looking for opinions from you experts because I figure if I need more than 12 rounds I am pretty screwed anyway lol. If you do carry more than the magazine in the gun, where do you carry it (them)?

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
For my 24/7 I have 3 mags, so the load out is 55 rds with the +1. For my PT111, I have 4 mags, for total of 49 rds. For my 709, I will have 4 mags,when two come back from CS, total 29 rds. No I do not carry them all at once? Getting ready to go up town right now, and I do have 28 for the 24/7, 25 for the PT111, and 14 for the 709. In my car for the 905 is 20 rds on moon clips.

All these are 9mm, so actually I usually have extra ammo if there is a problem with one of the guns.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I carry my PT709 with an extra mag along with my LCP with an extra mag. Both mags go in my front left pocket. Little bulky but works for me!;)

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
All I carry is the pistol with a 10 round double-stack magazine with one round up the pipe. The magazines are too bulky for effective concealed carry for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Carry gun is either a PT140 or PT738 or both. One extra magazine for whichever I have at the time. Usually carried vertical in my back pocket.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
1 extra 13 rd magazine.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I always carry 1 in the gun and 2-twelve round mags in a Fobus on the left side. I always feel like what if I had 12 rounds and needed 13? Better to have extra and not need them,than to need and not have them. I think it evens out the 24/7 .45 LS or PT-845 on the other side.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Just the latest issue of Playboy!:)

I always have five extra mags for my 1911 in my truck console and the wife has three extra quick strips in her console for her model 85. I figure we can fight our way to our cars if accosted in a parking lot. Actually, 5 extra mags is overkill for the 1911, I'm not taking on any cartels! If I'm down on a ranch, I'll have one extra mag for the 1911 and the Mule will have a M-4 with a fresh 30 round mag....no I don't have a ranch, but have four friends who do! Best way to ranch, just go and visit and not have to do maintenance or pay the taxes! All I have to do is be a nice guy and not argue...too much! They are all conservatives, so there isn't much to argue about.other than what is the best Scotch or Whiskey (also theirs so I don't argue).

Reactions: gyro_cfi

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
How many of you carry extra mags when you are carrying concealed and if so where do you keep them? I am asking b/c I have the 2 magazines the gun came with; they are 12 rnd double stack .45acp. I have a mag pouch that holds 2 clips, but am planning to buy another one after Christmas. That way I have my pouch with 2 magazines and one in the gun. It seems to me though that is a bit of over-kill...36 rds. I am looking for opinions from you experts because I figure if I need more than 12 rounds I am pretty screwed anyway lol. If you do carry more than the magazine in the gun, where do you carry it (them)?
Should be 37 rounds or don't bother. :D I usually carry the SR9C with 10+1, and a #10 mag in a Remora, with the +17 in a pocket. While statistically, most will never empty one mag, I think most would agree that we carry because we don't intend to become a statistic. That being said, it is only 'over-kill' if you don't need them. Better to HAVE and NOT NEED, than NEED and NOT HAVE. IMHO, one should carry the most that they can keep concealed in relative comfort.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys...I appreciate your input. Really I do...:guns:

·
Registered
27,128 Posts
2 double stack mags in a double mag pouch, off-side. 1 mag for BUG in pocket.
Total: 48 rds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am guilty of not carrying an extra mag most of the time. so just 15 +1 in the pipe but after reading this thread I may start carrying an extra mag or 2.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Just the one in the gun and one in the pipe on my PT140, but I have my bug on my ankle 6+1.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I had no idea you guys carried that much ammo when you were out. Maybe I need to rethink what I'm doing or not doing!!!! Merry Christmas and VOTE in 2012 (its important).

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I usually carry a revolver with at least one speed strip. When I carry a pistol, I always carry an extra magazine. If I carry more then one reload, I'm usually going to be somewhere I'd rather not be.

·
Registered
306 Posts
A clip in the gun and one spare is prudent for me. My 145 clip holds 10 rounds, so I have 20 rounds slose at hand. My PT 92 holds 17 rounds. Clips with smaller capacity, you might want to carry 2 spare clips.

·
Registered
580 Posts
One extra 17 rd mag. for my 24/7 Pro C and just the 7 rounds my TCP 738 holds.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts