Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My book doesn't show anything on loading a 185 grain Hornady XTP bullet with Unique - 45acp. Anybody happen to load this particular one with Unique and could tell me how many grains?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I don't reload 45 yet. But looking through data I have compiled. I found at handloads.com 8.2gr of unique and on the alliant website it also shows 8.2gr using Speer GDHP

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look there....I really need to just set up an account there. Thanks !

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found this on a 1911 forum.....
Unique/Hornady 185Gr - 1911Forum

It says that 8.2 grains of Unique will get you 1,050 fps from a 5'' 1911. That's pretty hot......further down it says that 6.3 to 7.8 grains will get you between 700 and 900 fps - I'm thinking this may be the ticket. I'll try to research further.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
My old Speer book is telling me for the 200 grain hollow point 6.9 for the low and 7.3 for the high with a MV of 920 to 976. IMHO I would suggest 6.5gr for a 185 to start out with. A little warm but not hot....:)

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
The Speer reloading manual shows the 185 grain Gold Dot (should be nearly identical to the XTP & Golden Sabre ) as a OAL of 1.200 using a standard large pistol primer and unique at:
7.3 grains 904 FPS
8.2 grains (MAX) for 1015 FPS.
this is from a 4.25 inch barrel.

·
Registered
860 Posts
MidwayUsa Load map has a starting load of 4.5gr and a max load of 8.6gr with a oal of 1.269" for that bullet.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
go to the powder manufacturers websites and print out all the data you need, now a days you don't have to spend money on manuals, unless you are new to reloading then they are good.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hornady 3rd edition has a starting load of 5.5gr and a max load of 8.5gr with an oal of 1.230"

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alliant's website shows max loads, so back off that load 10% and work your load up from there.
Alliant's website doesn't have a Hornady 185 grain jacketed bullet but does have a Speer 185 gr jacketed. I'm assuming that they are roughly equal, jacketed bullets, therefore the powder should be pretty close......or not?

·
Super Moderator
36,789 Posts
That shouldn't make too much difference if you load to the light side and work up a tad after you see how they shoot.

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
Alliant's website doesn't have a Hornady 185 grain jacketed bullet but does have a Speer 185 gr jacketed. I'm assuming that they are roughly equal, jacketed bullets, therefore the powder should be pretty close......or not?
IF you are comparing say a Hornady XTP hollow Point to a Speer Gold Dot Hollow point then yes it will be in the same ball park!
but not so if you are comparing a more modern hollow point to an older hollow point as many times the more modern hollow point will be longer due to the increase in the hollow point size/depth.
that weight has to be added back somewhere to make it the standard weight and this is normally done by making it longer.
a longer projectile will reduce case capacity and can raise pressure.
as long as you compare apple to apples then as mentioned reduce max loads by 10-15% and work up.

·
Administrator
18,053 Posts
Back when I used Unique in the .45 ACP, I used 7.7 grains of Unique under a Remington Surplus 185 grn JHP, for a velocity of 970 fps from the 5 inch barrel of my S&W 4506 (traded off).

These days, I load 5.7 grains of Alliant Red Dot under that same bullet for the about 950 fps from either of my 4.7 inch barreled EAA Witnesses. My .45 24/7 OSS and my Colt 1911 will do as well or better, velocitywise.

·
Administrator
35,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back when I used Unique in the .45 ACP, I used 7.7 grains of Unique under a Remington Surplus 185 grn JHP, for a velocity of 970 fps from the 5 inch barrel of my S&W 4506 (traded off).

These days, I load 5.7 grains of Alliant Red Dot under that same bullet for the about 950 fps from either of my 4.7 inch barreled EAA Witnesses. My .45 24/7 OSS and my Colt 1911 will do as well or better, velocitywise.
Thats funny - I had decided last night that 7.7 would be in the right neighborhood. I'll probably go with that. And I'll probably buy some more powders too, I already bought a pound of HP38 and would like to get some Red Dot and Winchester, for starters. Thanks jwc !

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
Thats funny - I had decided last night that 7.7 would be in the right neighborhood. I'll probably go with that. And I'll probably buy some more powders too, I already bought a pound of HP38 and would like to get some Red Dot and Winchester, for starters. Thanks jwc !
HP-38 and Winchester 231 are identical powders so really no need to get it.
I like and use Accurate #5 in the 45 ACP and the 38 Super, really about any case larger capacity than the 9MM seems to work good with it.
clean, low flash and meters well for me, I use a 200 grain pill in the 45 and it gets pushed at about 970 with the #5.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
896 Posts
W231 = HP38 As Olfor said.

Also, Yes. You can use the Speer data you found for that HP bullet. Heck, I did it when I was reloading plated bullets from Berry. Altho, I was using 200 GR HP.
I see no reason why you could not use that data for the Hornady bullet how ever...I do have the 8th edition. Give me a minute or two to grab it for you if you would like?...

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hornady XTP 185 GR 45. ACP

Unique 4.8 GR - 7.8 GR

OAL = 1.175

This was taken from my Lymans 49th edition. I checked Hornady for the data but they did not use Unique in their testing I guess.

·
Administrator
18,053 Posts
You are most Welcome!

Of course this proves that Great Minds think alike! ;)

As has been pointed out HP38 and W231 are the same powder. The only other powder you don't have that Winchester/Hogdon sells is WST, which I recommend for cast and plated bullet loads in many calibers. WST burns cleaner with very little muzzle flash and is less temperature sensitive then HP38/W231. However, HP38/W231 has a more useful pressure curve for jacketed bullet loads.

I am not fond of HP38/W231 for use with 185 grain JHP Bullets in the .45 ACP. The resulting Muzzle Flash is like having a Camera Flash go off in your Face with every pull of the trigger. Of course I do a lot of my Handgunning at an Indoor Range, but I doubt it would still be tolerable outdoors, particularly at dusk. Everyone will know where you are!

However, for the .45 ACP in particular, Red Dot or Bullseye will be much more useful. If you plan to load 12 gauge Shotshells at all, Red Dot will do double duty for both Handgun and Shotgun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts