Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have plenty of projectiles, I've been loading a few test rounds. I didn't get a scale when I bought my Lee Classic Turret(didn't come with one), so I bought a Lyman Micro-touch 1500 to get started. I followed the instructions, let it sit for 24 hours, and have left it on pretty much all last week. Here's what's going on.

When I initially put the powder charge in the pan to spot check, it will sometimes read low(-.2 grains), or read high(+.2 grains). If I let it sit for a few seconds, it will settle to the charge I'm looking for. If I let it sit too long, it will start bouncing again, and settle to -.1 of my desired charge. If I gently bump the pan, it will go right back to the charge I was going for.

I know digital scales are super sensitive. Could it also be I have it directly on the bench while running the press? I haven't tried moving it off the bench yet. When I do leave it on, I take the pan off and close the cover. The scale gets re-calibrated every time I use it, and sometimes multiple times per session. There is a ceiling fan in the bedroom, could that be causing it? I'm at a loss, and MIL has offered to get me a reasonably priced unit so I can run 2 scales instead of one.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I own two digital scales. No longer do I use my ancient Ohaus beam scale.

The main gripe I have with the digital scales are their sensitivity to blowing air and vibration. I have to close shop doors on a day with any breeze and I stop weighing whenever a freight train passes on the tracks nearby.

Try switching off the ceiling fan.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I would have to say yes that the scale sitting on the bench while operating the press could be part of the problem. Fans, heating/AC vents it doesn't take much...as Lomax says, trains close by! Before buying another scale I would work on isolating this scale.

·
Administrator
35,289 Posts
I have a Lyman Gen6 auto and it's not terribly sensitive to conditions. I make sure that it's on a very stable spot on my bench, where there is no wobble at all, and I usually turn my ceiling fan off as well, just in case.

If you reload out doors, extreme temps can cause fluctuation as well. This happened more when I was using my Hornady digital scale out in the garage, in the summer or winter. My bench is indoors now, so this probably helps a lot too.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Cellphones and other electronic equipment can make them a little bonkers too. I wouldn't worry about +-.01 grain, that's within the margin of error of the scale anyway. If it falls and keeps falling then try swapping the battery out.

·
8,537 Posts
After a year of using a Franklin Armory dig scale, I reverted back to a beam scale. I check 4 times every 50 rounds. But since I am using Titegroup and all my loadings run 3.9 to 4.3. for 9mm and 45acp. I don't have to move the beam adjustment much. I did use the franklin scale to verify my beam setup was correct. I am using the beam scale that came with my Lee classic turret press.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I prefer My balance beam scale over My digital scale, it's more accurate and gives consistent readings.
It only takes a couple of minutes to set up and zero.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
You should have received calibration weights (CW) with the scale when new. I place my scale on a bubble level surface, turn it on and allow it to equilibrate. I place the calibration weight in the center of the pan. If it reds the correct weight, I tare it and remove the calibration weight. It should read -CW value. If it does not read the correct weights, you will need to re-calibrate the scale per the instructions from the manufacturer. Working out doors I have placed the scale under a Cake cover to protect it from the breeze. I have never used a scale in reloading, only for mixing chemicals...

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
When I want REAL precision, regardless of air conditions, I set up my old Pacific, oildamped beam scale. After leveling, it is always spot on for every calibration weight. But generally, my Ohaus magnetically damped beam does all I ever need, with n wasted time, waiting fr stabilization.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Flash60601....and I thought I'm the only one using a Pacific oil dampened beam scale! My Hornady bit the dust about a year ago and I haven't replaced it. Florescent lights can also cause erratic dig scale readings. I plan to replace the Hornady but haven't found the right sale. Maybe Black Friday!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Lee beam love it set it to load check a few times during each 50 or so. I never had a digi scale once was considering purchase checked out a few reviews fans/breeze/cell phone/vibrations just bumping table could fork it. I inquired with a sales rep and shop keep unfortunate any and all that I researched turned out to be true.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts