Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I brought that up in another post about loads for a .44 tracker and I was wondering how slow can you go without losing accuracy or function. With the Lyman manual, the sugessted starting loads start at around 780fps for the .300 gr jacketed sp. However hornady was more speedy with 900fps as a starting. Have any of you played with slowing it down? If so was it worth it? I am looking for a slow round that would transmit all the energy into the target if that's possible.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got out my Lee reloading manual. It shows a 44 special load with a 300 grain fmj at 752 fps.
The powder is H4227 starting at 9.8 grains not to exceed 11.5 grains. The pressure is at 18600 cup. They also show a few magnum loads with a 310 grain lead loads that run from between 885 and 975 fps. As for slowing the loads down, people do it all the time with 38's and 357's so I don't see why you couldn't do it with 44's. Mark

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
I think you are going to find that much below 750 fps, you're going to run into rainbow trajectory even at 25 yards. Not real useful for any sort of field use, but 700-800 fps will work for small game and 25 yard plinking and such. I can't see a reason to shoot below 700 fps anyway except those Speer plastic bullets propelled by a primer for indoor practice. Those are kinda neat. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts