Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not understand how the hotel can be held responsible for the actions of a madman!!!!

"How do you divide $800 million dollars among victims of a tragedy?

That's the question that MGM Resorts International, the families of 58 people killed, and the 851 people injured in the worst mass shooting in American history will have to sort out, now that the owner of the hotel where the gunman staged the attack has agreed to pay $800 million dollars to settle legal claims. The company didn't admit liability."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/how-to-divide-800m-among-victims-of-las-vegas-shooting

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Two words: Deep Pockets. The tragedy happened there.
Some ambulance chaser would say something about MGM Resorts allowed the shooter to stage his crime without MGM employees doing anything about it or questioning why the gunman hauled to his room so many cases, or find some other way to make MGM responsible is some way or another. For MGM, paying out like this is just a good way to cut costs of going to trial and paying attorney fees for themselves and the cost of possible appeals when the plaintiffs don't win.

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
They chose to participate in the lie and coverup of the truth. They deserve to pay something. Not sure about that huge amount though.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
They still will not say what happened or . Manchurian candidate, terrorist or he was dead before this started and the handler walked away.
Everything that happened in that room we will never know. Covered up by misinformation, incompetence or classified.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
MGM is blameless and everyone knows it, but that won't stop the most despicable charlatans from attending to manipulate the masses and game the system for personal gain in the wake of a tragedy.

Rest assured, they will fail and they will get their comeuppance, as wicked people always do in the end.

·
21,959 Posts
The deeper the pockets, the more scumbag lawyers are willing to play spaghetti chef; keep throwing it against the wall until something sticks.

Reactions: GreyOwl and Ickthus

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Is MGM paying it, or has a government entity "recommended" this settlement, which will be reimbursed? Crazy, maybe. But since we've not been told anything about the incident, who knows?

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
The only legal angle I can think of it it happened on their property. That is really a strech if ask me.

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
The liability as I see it was no one ever questioned how Stephen Paddock was able to transport so many weapons and a boat load of ammo to his room., never have a question from houskeeping. Then there was the security force that retreated, much like in the School shooting. I can see a good plaintiff's lawyer influencing a jury pretty easy!

I doubt MGM is totally self insured, with someone like Lloyd's picking up the tab after $100 million. I suspect the insurer is calling the shots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It was a miscalculated business risk. The MGM Grand has successfully made a butt-load of profit in hosting other similar events. While it was highly unlikely, somebody either overlooked the potential for what took place or simply decided that the profit potential was worth the risk. Although, I doubt they could have imagined a risk of $800 million. Are the amenities alone all that they should be expected to provide for their take?? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that, as a commercial enterprise, they should also accept responsibility to provide adequate security for the safety of their guests.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Deep pockets, that is why.

It is promoted that we take crom the rich and give to the poor and lawyers.

You don't think that message can be interpreted from tax the rich more and give it to me?

Street robbers are just cutting out the middle man...the Government.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Lawyers don't go after the responsible parties, they go after the ones with the most money.
If the law was changed so that if the Lawyers lose they would have to pay the settlement that they were after, then this would end.

·
Premium Member
12,540 Posts
They still will not say what happened or . Manchurian candidate, terrorist or he was dead before this started and the handler walked away.
Everything that happened in that room we will never know. Covered up by misinformation, incompetence or classified.
How does that make for a fair trial? This is being fueled by the media's anti-gun propaganda.

Reactions: Desperado

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
It was a miscalculated business risk. The MGM Grand has successfully made a butt-load of profit in hosting other similar events. While it was highly unlikely, somebody either overlooked the potential for what took place or simply decided that the profit potential was worth the risk. Although, I doubt they could have imagined a risk of $800 million. Are the amenities alone all that they should be expected to provide for their take?? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that, as a commercial enterprise, they should also accept responsibility to provide adequate security for the safety of their guests.
About the only adequate security the MGM could provide would be a tall tower with a 30 or 50 caliber machinegun!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Lawyers don't go after the responsible parties, they go after the ones with the most money.
If the law was changed so that if the Lawyers lose they would have to pay the settlement that they were after, then this would end.
Will not happen, stealing from the rich is promoted in America and lawyers make the laws.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Government:
"Kind of a shame when MGM has ALL THIS MONEY sitting there doing nothing. It's already been taxed and
we can't take any more of it. However, if we can move it into the hands of the "victims" of this shooting,
we CAN tax it!"

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: Desperado and rhugg

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
As usual, it's not about what really happened but who can payout the most money! Since they blamed MGM, what about the car manufacturer that allowed him to transport the weapons? The cart supplier to carry them up to his room? The doctors that kept him in good health to move around? OR, just blame this evil individual for the evil things he did???? ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts