Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry, but the people where I live all hunt squirrels with a shotgun. I grew up hunting since the age of about 4. I have always hunted squirrels with a .22 rifle. Started with an old single shot shooting .22 shorts(still have that gun). Don't see any fun in hunting squirrel with a shotgun....

Reactions: G8R8U2

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Probably not much left of one.
Maybe they are just bad shots with a .22.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
*12 gauge - 3" magnum #4 buck*
"Hey - who wants to see a squirrel disappear?!??"

Kidding - 410 is viable though, no!? Mmmmm- crunchy squirrel!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To me it seems like cheating... And how hard would it be to get your limit.... I just dont get it, everyone around here must be bad shots. I don't have to worry about having a gun duel and losing I guess. ;) ...

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Only if there is no plans to keep the squirrel to start with is a shotgun fun . Other than that a .22 is all a man needs . I actually have a friend that uses high powered pellet guns for squirrel hunting .

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Well, head shots scramble the squirrel brains with a rifle, shotgun (.410 is ideal for squirrels) don't mess up the brains! Squirrel brains are a real delicacy, but it takes a shot pot full of squirrels to make a meal.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Only if there is no plans to keep the squirrel to start with is a shotgun fun . Other than that a .22 is all a man needs . I actually have a friend that uses high powered pellet guns for squirrel hunting .
I use a pellet gun for squirrel hunting. Pump up, 5 pumps is ideal for my back yard.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I used an old powerline 880 pump pellet gun as a kid to hunt squirrels and rabbits. Head shots are deadly! The .22 is a deadly weapon. You can kill ANYTHING with a .22, as long as you are a good shot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can honestly say I have never eaten squirrel brains....

Well, head shots scramble the squirrel brains with a rifle, shotgun (.410 is ideal for squirrels) don't mess up the brains! Squirrel brains are a real delicacy, but it takes a shot pot full of squirrels to make a meal.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
None of the squirrels around here carry shotguns, once in a while you'll see one with a 22, but not often. I would rather hunt the ones that are unarmed. Safer that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I could ask why anyone thinks hunting deer with a rifle is fun. To each his own. I support any legal means of animal harvest 100% and that includes using dogs to get it done. Never challenge someone's tradition when it comes to hunting, it's why bear hunting has been outlawed in States like CA and others.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There are a number of reasons to hunt squirrels with a shotgun. I grew up doing it and it ain't as easy as you might think. At the time, I only had a shotgun. That's reason number one.

Next reason I can think of is no real concern with where that bullet is going after you shoot. Number five shot is only going so far and that will be within your line of sight. A 22 bullet keeps going, hit or miss. It's going to come down somewhere a lot farther downrange. I won't shoot squirrels in the trees with a rifle these days for that reason.

We not only used shotguns when I was a kid, we used squirrel dogs. A lot art for the most part these days. We also hunted together. Tree a squirrel and one hunter. or the dog, moves around the tree to get the squirrel to move around to the other side where the "shooter" waits. We got a lot of shots at squirrels running through the treetops, jumping from tree to tree. Such a critter is harder to hit than a rabbit on the ground. You NEED a shotgun.

I assure you we ate every squirrel we killed, shotgun or rifle. No more reason to not eat a shotgun killed squirrel than there is to not eat a duck killed with one. Pick out the shot you see, be careful chewing for the shot you didn't.

My favorite squirrel gun was a Savage/Stevens Model 24 with a 20 ga shotgun barrel with a 22 rifle barrel over it. With a pocket full of No 5 shot, a few 3" buckshot shells, and a box of hollow points, I was ready for anything that walked, ran or flew. I sold that gun, and surely miss it.

My favorite squirrel dog was a mutt named "Butch." His momma was a "dumped" dog that had a litter up in the hedgerow. She got hit by a car, and my Uncle Roy rescued a half dozen half starved pups and fed them with an eyedropper until they were weaned. There were six pups in that littler and not one of them looked like the other one. They all did something well, one ran rabbits, one was a "mouse dog", another grew up to be a passable deer dog, and so on, but Butch, well, that was a squirrel treeing so and so. He really hated squirrels and practiced his art rather he had a kid with him or not.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
When I was a kid on the farm, .22s were the ticket for squirrels and rabbits.

Now I go with a .22 if it's a warm day and squirrels are likely to be digging around on the ground, and a .410 or a pellet rifle if I expect them to be in the tree.

Maybe it's being overly cautious, but I get more and more reluctant to let a bullet (even a .22) choose for itself where it will fall anymore.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I worked with a guy that used a 12 ga (he called it a goose gun) to hunt squirrels. I dont know what shells he used. They didnt look too mangled, but then it was 30+ years ago and I didnt look too closely either. I do remember thinking it wasnt a lot of meat for the effort.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Well, let's see. A .22 round travels approximately a mile if unimpeded. Just sayin'.

Reactions: Wingshot

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Kinda like government officials, doncha think? Except there's probably more brains in the average squirrel than in the average politician.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
There are states that only allow the use of a shotgun for small game..... not everyone has a choice.

Don

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I used to hunt squirrels with my dog and a pellet/bb gun. My hunting dog was a german shepperd. She would tree them and I would shoot them.. My wife thought we were crazy. :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts