Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to find a holster for my OSS, I was worried about the barrel length. My expectations were that the barrel length was 5.2 inches. The manual, though, shows that the gun comes with a 4.2 or a 5.2, depending on if you have the LS version. Nowhere on my gun or its packaging does it say LS or the barrel length.

I finally resorted to a measuring tape. The overall length of the gun is about 8.25 inches - matching the 5.2 inch barrel. I disassembled the gun and measured the barrel. From the business end to the open end of the chamber, it is about 5.2 inches. From the business end to the closest end of the chamber is about 4.2 inches. So which do I have? Any ideas? I think the 5.2 inch but I don't know enough to know for certain.

Thanks,

Dale

·
Administrator
35,276 Posts
We may have to consult Da Professor on this one, but I *think* that you measure the barrel end to the other side, not counting the area where the feed ramp puts the bullet into the barrel.....this would make yours a 4 inch barrel, most likely.....I could easily be wrong, but I don't know why you'd count the area that the actual projectile is already past, once the shell is loaded 'in the pipe', as part of the 'barrel length'.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For semi-autos, barrel length includes the chamber. For revolvers, it is just the barrel without counting the cylinder length.

·
Registered
1 Posts
barrel life and causes of misfire?

im in pakistan and own a pt 24/7 .its a pretty good hand gun.i wanted to know the barrel life of this weapon and my other question pertains to the fact that does extra oil cause the pistol to misfire.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
lahoreman said:
im in pakistan and own a pt 24/7 .its a pretty good hand gun.i wanted to know the barrel life of this weapon and my other question pertains to the fact that does extra oil cause the pistol to misfire.
Your barrel is gonna last a long time. If it doesn't send it to Taurus for a replacement. As to the extra oil, I don't think it will cause a misfire just a dirtier gun to clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts