Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to consolidate calibers and decided that since my other pistols are 9mm, that the .380 Walther PPK/S that I normally carry should be replaced by a 9mm. Over the last few days, I have fondled just about every sub$500 compact that I could get my hands on. I have had 3 or 4 people tell me to stay away from my choice, but ALOT of people tell me that they have one and love it.

I decided to get a Taurus Millennium Pro 9mm. At 1.125" wide it's not much wider than my PPK/S at .98, yet slimmer than the Glock 26 at 1.3. It was a good fit in my hand for a small pistol, was comfortable, and balanced very nicely. As a bonus, it’s inexpensive enough to order a nice holster for and still have a little ammo money left over

Here are some personal thoughts and feelings that helped my come to my decision, although your mileage may vary.

S&W M&P Compact: Didn’t feel as good as my full size and felt a little off balance.

SA XD-9 Subcompact and Glock 26: Felt chunky and too wide for my tastes in a small pistol.

Kel-Tec (several models): Looked and felt cheap.

Bersa Thunder Compact 9: Felt like a cheap knockoff of my PPK/S (I know, it is one).

Kahr PM-9, P-9, and MK-9: Hard to say. They just felt odd to me and not comfortable.

Springfield EMP-9: I don’t have that much cash, but couldn’t resist. It did feel and balance nice though.

Stoeger Cougar 9mm: To big for what I’m looking for, might be a future mid-size purchase though.

CZ 2075P: Heavier than I’m looking for, but nice.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought that I would share.

Adam

·
32,811 Posts
This is useful insight and good observations. If others read this they can get an idea of the process and critera you used and why. Lots of things to consider and consider you did.

It was right for you and what you want and need. Not what others told said you should have. Learned that one the hard way when giving advice in the early stages of being at the gun forums.

Have learned and experienced much since then.
Have had a lot of good solid input on the how to's from solid minded shooters.

Better than just going with it because it was easier that way.

Everything is balancing objective and subjective criteria.

Seem's like you did your homework. :)

As for posting lengths, there are many more,even longer ones, posted elswhere. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I appreciate the thoughts. The only thing I disagree with is that the XD9sc feels good to me - not chunky at all. However, the small scGlock (what model is that little gem?) feels like a block of wood. I respect Glock's reputation, but they don't fit me.

Personally, I'm on the fence between a nice gently used Ruger SP101 (3", .357) I found for $315 or a brand spankin' new PT111 Mil Pro. Budsguns has the Mil Pro for $300 (+/- a little, depending on specific model) with free shipping. The Ruger I have to add shipping, so the Taurus is probably $50 cheaper. I love the DA revolver, and the .357's ability to handle anything from hot magnum down to light target loads is a huge plus. But the Taurus' smaller size is a big plus, since this will eventually be a CCW. One day, I think Ruger; one day Taurus. We'll see who wins...

Preacher Man

·
32,811 Posts
Preacher_man. Get them both eventually. :) There are times the Ruger is called for and other times the capacity of the PT111 might be needed.
For a short run to a local store might be a Ruger moment and a run to a further or longer jaunt might make it a Mil/pro need.

Granted this is subjective and somewhat objective. :) As well, there may be other extenuating circumstances to be considered.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
Preacher_man. Get them both eventually. :) There are times the Ruger is called for and other times the capacity of the PT111 might be needed.
For a short run to a local store might be a Ruger moment and a run to a further or longer jaunt might make it a Mil/pro need.

Granted this is subjective and somewhat objective. :) As well, there may be other extenuating circumstances to be considered.
Quicks: If you had to pick one or the other (limited gun budget :-( ) which would you go with? I know this is the Taurus forum, but I'll ask anyway <grin>.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
On a limited budget get the Mil Pro...I have a PT145 and an SP101 in .357. I carry both most of the time although I switch out the Ruger for my S&W M&P 340 since it only weighs 13 ounces compared to the SP101's 28 ounces.

Since your budget is limited the Mil Pro will prove more versatile to you at this point. But definitely pick up the SP101 when you get the cash. I can't say enough good things about this snubbie.

·
32,811 Posts
Preacher_man. I agree with NYPD in AZ for the most part. If budget is the main concern, the PT111 is a go.Flatter and easier to hide in some ways, the pistol also has ammo count and faster reload capability over the Ruger SP-101.

The only things standing in the way of that are the revolver's simple manual of arms. No safety to off safe. Can be fired from the pocket of a jacket and if there is a dud round pull the trigger and a new round comes under the hammer to fire and does.

You can contour the ammo to your needs. .357 magnum power if so desired or .38 Special +P for serious business.

There is one nasty thing that just came to mind. The Ruger is already broken in and ready to go. Less to wrong mechanically if that is a "gently used" gun. Scrutinize that used gun real close for any problems.

Here's the reasoning behind the SP101 purchase over the PT111.

As mentioned above, the break in period has already been done. If the Ruger is mechanically sound,and nothing needs replacing or major maintenance done to it, then the revolver is ready to go now.

Granted, spare ammo is somewhat harder to carry and reloading takes a bit longer, but practice, techniques, and training will take care of that.

Speedloaders are bulkier than magazines. Bianchi Speed Strips can carry 5 or 6 rounds
( there's a school of thought that only 5 rounds go on the Speedstrip), are slightly slower to load with (fresh rounds are peeled one at a time into the empty chambers) and lay flat in a pocket.

Got all that? Not sure I do. :D

The PT111 is not ready to go. Break in periods take approximately 200 -500, or even more rounds to get parts to working completely in order and any kinks found and worked out before being reliable for carry for CCW or for protection in a dwelling.
Have to be realistic here and consider everything.

Reasoning for getting the PT111 over the Ruger.

If you have time to break the PT111 to get it ready then go for it.If everything mechanical is okay with the gun after the break in period there is no reason not to go with the PT111.

I've had both the PT111 and the Ruger SP101. Trained hard and long to use both guns in a tactical manner. Even practiced the "fire two rounds,load two rounds drill" for the SP101. Same for speedloaders and the Bianchi Speedstrips.
Both served their intended roles well. Then the Ruger was sold to get another Ruger in P series pistol. CCW legislation fell through and the snubbie was of use no longer.

All this is just to describe what needs to be considered or used as an example.

The revolver is ready to go now and is a fine weapon. Limited in ammo capacity, but a fine weapon with many merits. Ammo capacity very well may never come into play in a defense shooting.

Break in period time would favor the PT111 as far as having a reliable psitol goes if the time is to be had.

SP101 gets the nod here with a very close second going to the PT111.

Facing multiple opponents favors the PT111. For one or two attackers, the nod goes to the Ruger.

In your place what would you chose?
Chances in this area of many multiple opponents is unlikely, but could happen. Where you are things could be different.

Between this somewhat long winded post and the other members, just about everything has been covered. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
First, my apologies to the OP for a semi-thread hijack. I do congratulate you, sir on your new acquisition. I hope it serves you well for many, many years to come.

As to my question of Mil Pro vs. Sp101, now you understand my connundrum. As Confucius supposedly said, "Man who sits on fence gets sore crotch."

I literally go back and forth between the choices. Oh, that I had $650 or so just sitting there. But, I don't, so I can't get both.

Honestly, my reason says get the PT111. Flatter, lighter, more rounds, easier reloads. Plus, it's actually cheaper right now than the used Ruger. But just when I think I'm set, I hear the Ruger's siren song calling me back. It's rugged durability and reliability (note: that is not a Taurus flame; just a general comment about DA revolvers as a whole) and relative simplicity is a big bonus, even at the cost of slow reloads.

One last thing: I'm a lefty, and let's face it, the PT111 isn't terribly southpaw-friendly. I handled one in the shop the other day and the safety is manageable, but awkward. Then again, LH reloads of a DA revolver ain't the fastest thing in the world, either.

Is this a case of me over-analyzing, and I'm a winner either way I go?

Thanks, all, for the comments.
Preacher_man

·
32,811 Posts
Adam 5. Nice looking pistol. We await with bated breath for the report. :) :D

And if anybody else hijacks the thread Adam 5 gets to try to be William Tell with whomever does the hijack. Adam 5 will be using his PT111 Mi/pro to shoot the apple off the head of the guy who does it. :) That is if it's okay with you Adam 5. :)

How's that for incentive?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
And if anybody else hijacks the thread Adam 5 gets to try to be William Tell with whomever does the hijack. Adam 5 will be using his PT111 Mi/pro to shoot the apple off the head of the guy who does it. :) That is if it's okay with you Adam 5. :)

How's that for incentive?
[As Preacher_Man rapidly backpedals...]
That's a great idea, Quicks, and should prevent people with horrible forum manners from any such shenanigans again. <grin>

Thanks for your patience with me, sirs.

[End hijack]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL

Don't worry about the hijack. I'm a regular at www.georgiapacking.org/forum, and we are getting side tracked all the time. This thread was about choosing a carry weapon, and deciding between an auto and a wheel gun is part of that decision. At one one, point I was considering a Taurus 905 9mm wheel gun for carry, but decided that I prefered a semi auto.

Actually, while talking about choosing a carry gun, I want to share a thread from the GeorgaPacking forum. One of our members, Firearmz, owns a firearm training center and works with alot of area police departments. He started this thread about choosing a fighting weapon and gives some expert insight to the subject. He offers GPDO members a discount on classes, and several of our members have taken his classes. I plan on taking his 'Fighting Pistol' class after the first of the year.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5698

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I politely disagree with your buddy at Georgia Packing, the best fighting weapon is what you have with you. Sometimes that may be a knife, or a plastic binkie. Just the weight of a 17 round mag is a bit too much at times and the point is concealed carry. Otherwise we would all be in full up armor all the time and carrying long guns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts