Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting and a few surprises within. Surprising to me, at least. Some may not make sense but keep in mind some of the higher ranking states don't have as many people and not all states require firearm registration. Only once do they mention the numbers are approximations based on NICS data.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/most-heavily-armed-states-in-america/

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Texas at 18? Yeah they are missing some I am sure. They do mention we dont require background checks for purchases. Only people without a CHL need to go through one to buy a firearm from a dealer. As such they are missing both dealer purchases by those with a CHL as well as most if not all private sales. So yeah there are more firearms that than in Texas I am sure.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Interesting and a few surprises within. Surprising to me, at least. Some may not make sense but keep in mind some of the higher ranking states don't have as many people and not all states require firearm registration. Only once do they mention the numbers are approximations based on NICS data.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/most-heavily-armed-states-in-america/

NICS is only 22 years old, and I believe their stats could be way off considering people have been buying firearms long before NICS began.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
Buying guns in Tennessee is like playing cards, everyone does it and there's no registration!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Reactions: pegasus

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Lying with statistics. There's more guns than people in the US by many measures. According to Brookings Institute, 330 million Americans own 400 million guns. By that measure, there's over 1200 guns per thousand people. Similar numbers can be found from any number of sources. It really goes to show two things - one, gun registration numbers are a joke and two, gun owners like us really skew those numbers. Lol.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-f...more guns than,firearm for every 20 Americans.

·
Premium Member
12,529 Posts
According to this data, I'm responsible for over 6,000 Pennsylvania residents. No wonder I feel tired!

·
Registered
18,489 Posts
According to this data, I'm responsible for over 6,000 Pennsylvania residents. No wonder I feel tired!
Yeah, their numbers are way off unless they're only counting handguns. Instead of PA having 15 guns per 1000 people, it'd be more like 15 guns per person if they counted all rifles and shotguns too. PA's a big hunting state and even though participation is waning, most still have at least a few .22s, plus a couple or three deer rifles and shotguns for each member in the household. Black powder has been becoming more popular here so many have one to a few of those too. Comparatively, my collection is pitifully small but even I have 7 rifles (one .22, the rest hi-po), 3 shotguns and 3 handguns.

Reactions: pegasus and BigBlue

·
Administrator
39,378 Posts
Even their approximations on NICS data are way off. Just because a background check was run, doesn’t mean that person actually bought a firearm. Someone wasted a lot of time compiling this information.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Even their approximations on NICS data are way off. Just because a background check was run, doesn’t mean that person actually bought a firearm. Someone wasted a lot of time compiling this information.
christopher steele will work for anybody.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
Deslidified. Not surprisingly the article is poorly researched. It claims Colorado has 63,178 registered firearms, but there's no requirement for registration in Colorado.

Reactions: oso and BigBlue

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
This has made the rounds before. It's poorly researched, poorly written and is full of information that is both out of date AND misleading.

Those numbers are for Full Autos, SBS's, SBR's and such, NOT your average firearm!

·
Premium Member
12,529 Posts
Probably the same person that it doing the COVID-19 research.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
A lot of us don't want to read the article.

They are only using the list of NFA registered firearms. You know, that $200 tax stamp thingie?

As for all those claiming their state has no registration... any NFA stamped firearm is registered under federal law.

Don

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Exactly as glenwolde stated earlier NFA items, as Ohio does not require registration unless of course you purchase a NFA item

1 - 20 of 34 Posts